Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The loss of the Lights on Winter is nothing to do with energy saving I can assure you. A single launch of Rock n Roller Coaster uses more power than the Lights of Winter would use for an entire night. Really, energy requirements of LoW is a drop in the ocean.

Clever Name

Disney Recognized for Energy Conservation

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., Oct. 30, 2013 - Imagine saving enough electricity to power Space Mountain for 35 years. That’s what Walt Disney World Resort did in 2013, earning Sustainable Florida’s 2013 large business best practice award.

Sustainable Florida is a nonprofit organization committed to conserving Florida’s vast natural and economic resources. The award is given each year to companies and organizations for their efforts to protect and preserve the state’s environment.

Between 2009 and 2013, Walt Disney World Resort reduced overall electricity consumption more than 10 percent by changing Cast Member behavior, implementing new technology and equipment and adjusting operations to conserve energy.

“We are especially proud to receive the best practice award from Sustainable Florida because it is recognition of our company’s long-standing commitment to the environment, conservation and the natural world,” said, Jackie Ogden, Ph.D., vice president of animal, science and environment at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “We’re always looking for new ways to conserve resources, including electricity, and to continue building on our success in the years to come.”

The company set a goal of reducing electricity usage by 10 percent based on 2006 consumption. The nearly 70,000 Cast Members at Walt Dsiney World Resort were encouraged, through the “Make the Switch” campaign to change their behavior by turning off switches when not in use.

In addition, teams worked behind the scenes on technical projects that accomplished everything from establishing optimal run time for kitchen equipment and proper lighting levels during non-operational hours, to creating specific standards for temperature settings, lighting and appliances.

http://wdwnews.com/releases/2013/10/31/disney-recognized-for-energy-conservation/

Last edited:

SirLink

The loss of the Lights on Winter is nothing to do with energy saving I can assure you. A single launch of Rock n Roller Coaster uses more power than the Lights of Winter would use for an entire night. Really, energy requirements of LoW is a drop in the ocean.

I thought the excuse they farted out was more a long the lines of "LoW was a dated technology and as such we aren't bothering to maintain it". Or has Disney Corporate changed stances again?

Clever Name

I hope you'll note that above mentioned award given to WDW was for energy conservation between the years 2009 and 2013. Is it a coincidence that the nuclear reactor at Crystal River went out of service in 2009 and it was announced in 2013 that said reactor would not be repaired?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Disney Recognized for Energy Conservation

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., Oct. 30, 2013 - Imagine saving enough electricity to power Space Mountain for 35 years. That’s what Walt Disney World Resort did in 2013, earning Sustainable Florida’s 2013 large business best practice award.

Sustainable Florida is a nonprofit organization committed to conserving Florida’s vast natural and economic resources. The award is given each year to companies and organizations for their efforts to protect and preserve the state’s environment.

Between 2009 and 2013, Walt Disney World Resort reduced overall electricity consumption more than 10 percent by changing Cast Member behavior, implementing new technology and equipment and adjusting operations to conserve energy.

“We are especially proud to receive the best practice award from Sustainable Florida because it is recognition of our company’s long-standing commitment to the environment, conservation and the natural world,” said, Jackie Ogden, Ph.D., vice president of animal, science and environment at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “We’re always looking for new ways to conserve resources, including electricity, and to continue building on our success in the years to come.”

The company set a goal of reducing electricity usage by 10 percent based on 2006 consumption. The nearly 70,000 Cast Members at Walt Dsiney World Resort were encouraged, through the “Make the Switch” campaign to change their behavior by turning off switches when not in use.

In addition, teams worked behind the scenes on technical projects that accomplished everything from establishing optimal run time for kitchen equipment and proper lighting levels during non-operational hours, to creating specific standards for temperature settings, lighting and appliances.
Still has nothing to do with the decision around LoW....

CDavid

I thought the excuse they farted out was more a long the lines of "LoW was a dated technology and as such we aren't bothering to maintain it". Or has Disney Corporate changed stances again?

Obsolete technology was always the spin that I heard, which was always particularly funny given the extent of "obsolete technology" in the parks... :banghead:

It has nothing to do with energy conservation or storage space either. It does have everything to do with laziness, a remarkable lack of standards, and (especially) bowing to the almighty dollar.

CDavid

I hope you'll note that above mentioned award given to WDW was for energy conservation between the years 2009 and 2013. Is it a coincidence that the nuclear reactor at Crystal River went out of service in 2009 and it was announced in 2013 that said reactor would not be repaired?

Your really reaching to even call that a coincidence.

I assume you are interested in energy conservation personally, and that's fine, but you have to realize that most people and most corporations don't care as much. Disney has to appear to be doing things to "save the planet" so they don't get bad press (ask Sea World about such things right now); If they really wanted or needed to cut back on commercially bought power, it'd be so much more effective to just power up their own generating station.

Clever Name

Your really reaching to even call that a coincidence.

I assume you are interested in energy conservation personally, and that's fine, but you have to realize that most people and most corporations don't care as much. Disney has to appear to be doing things to "save the planet" so they don't get bad press (ask Sea World about such things right now); If they really wanted or needed to cut back on commercially bought power, it'd be so much more effective to just power up their own generating station.
Energy conservation is everyone's business. Why pay more money for electricity and use more energy and get less work done? Switching to high efficiency motors in appliances, using compact florescent and LED lighting and using energy efficient cooling and heating systems have been proven to save electricity (energy use) and pay for themselves. It's not a debatable issue. Doing more work for less money is the issue, not saving the planet. If the planet is saved in the process then that is a nice by-product.

Disney's will use the least expensive power it can get. I do the same thing. A 60 watt light bulb only uses .06 kilowatt-hours of energy per hour. That's not very much. A 60 watt equivalent compact florescent bulb only uses .015 kilowatt-hours of energy per hour. That's a significant savings but that's just the start. When you multiply that savings by a thousand, a hundred thousand and multimillions, it really adds up.

That is what WDW is doing. DL can't save very much energy simply because it's so small and the multiples of energy saving don't add up to very much. However, WDW is so huge that small energy savings here and there add up very quickly. Before you know it megawatts are saved just by setting the thermostat a degree or two higher on air conditioners or lowering the thermostat on water heaters a degree or two. Each of these savings is small, but they add up.

Removing LoW was a small savings, but it contributed to the overall energy savings for WDW. It's nice to think of the removal of LoW as a tribute toward the efficient and money saving use of electricity. I think the family on CoP would approve.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Energy conservation is everyone's business. Why pay more money for electricity and use more energy and get less work done? Switching to high efficiency motors in appliances, using compact florescent and LED lighting and using energy efficient cooling and heating systems have been proven to save electricity (energy use) and pay for themselves. It's not a debatable issue. Doing more work for less money is the issue, not saving the planet. If the planet is saved in the process then that is a nice by-product.

Disney's will use the least expensive power it can get. I do the same thing. A 60 watt light bulb only uses .06 kilowatt-hours of energy per hour. That's not very much. A 60 watt equivalent compact florescent bulb only uses .015 kilowatt-hours of energy per hour. That's a significant savings but that's just the start. When you multiply that savings by a thousand, a hundred thousand and multimillions, it really adds up.

That is what WDW is doing. DL can't save very much energy simply because it's so small and the multiples of energy saving don't add up to very much. However, WDW is so huge that small energy savings here and there add up very quickly. Before you know it megawatts are saved just by setting the thermostat a degree or two higher on air conditioners or lowering the thermostat on water heaters a degree or two. Each of these savings is small, but they add up.

Removing LoW was a small savings, but it contributed to the overall energy savings for WDW. It's nice to think of the removal of LoW as a tribute toward the efficient and money saving use of electricity.
It was a small savings that could have been reduced to an insignificant savings by switching to LED.

Guests would have been happy... Energy conservationists would have been happy...bean counters would have been a bit perturbed.

Disney sided with the bean counters. The fact that eliminating LOW would please the energy conservationists was a happy side effect and many of WDW's loyal guests are now ticked off.

Clever Name

The fact that eliminating LOW would please the energy conservationists was a happy side effect and many of WDW's loyal guests are now ticked off.
But they'd find something else to complain about. There's just no pleasing some people since they always want to find the bad in things rather than looking on the bright side of things. :D

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It was a small savings that could have been reduced to an insignificant savings by switching to LED.

Guests would have been happy... Energy conservationists would have been happy...bean counters would have been a bit perturbed.

Disney sided with the bean counters. The fact that eliminating LOW would please the energy conservationists was a happy side effect and many of WDW's loyal guests are now ticked off.
And as Steve noted, the overall savings were a drop in the proverbial bucket when compared to energy use elsewhere....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But they'd find something else to complain about. There's just no pleasing some people since they always want to find the bad in things rather than looking on the bright side of things. :D
I am always one for looking for a silver lining. I could care less that the color temperature of the light from an LED is different than an incandescent because they save a ton of energy. However, eliminating something as major a LoW is just too much. It is like killing your dog to save money on dog food.

Clever Name

And as Steve noted, the overall savings were a drop in the proverbial bucket when compared to energy use elsewhere....
Indeed that's true but it's just one of the many, many energy savings that together added up to significant energy reduction. Think of it this way, LoW played a large symbolic role in the reduction of energy consumption. We can be proud of that.

Clever Name

I am always one for looking for a silver lining. I could care less that the color temperature of the light from an LED is different than an incandescent because they save a ton of energy. However, eliminating something as major a LoW is just too much. It is like killing your dog to save money on dog food.
I sympathize with you. I felt the same way when they got rid of the Penny Arcade and the Magic Shop from MSUSA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom