Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

John

We always talk of money, but in reality, more is at work in things like this. The word is PRIDE. It helps the brand and everything in the long-term if you provide a top notch experience. However, WDW only operates like that way sporadically any more. Everyone should want the parks to kick so much visual butt in Christmas that shelling out 100K for some top notch Christmas decorations isn't a deal breaker. The fact that I can point out various airports are better decorated than a Disney theme park and not get laughed at should be cause for concern.

Cause for concern? I think we passed that point a long time ago. Now it seems that some of us have come to the point of being "indifferent". I care about the park but I honestly don't have much hope that it will ever turn around. Most of the time when companies head down this road its a one way street.....they never make it back. As far as paying more? Maybe paying double is a little excessive.....but I would still pay quite a bit more.

I always appreciated how PO4 and some others did cost analysis comparing ticket prices....now and then. The dollar was actually worth something back then. It takes many more dollars to buy the same things. It isn't comparing "oranges to oranges" as some might say.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I care about the park but I honestly don't have much hope that it will ever turn around. Most of the time when companies head down this road its a one way street.....they never make it back.
I think your right. Even if new leadership comes in they would probly freak out at the thought of putting in the amount of money that Disney did years ago to keep the parks fresh. It would seem absurd to them when they compare to it what has been spent in recent years. (on parks, not infrastructure). They really need a visionary at the helm. But who?

Clever Name

I haven't followed this thread from the beginning back in 2009 so some of the information I will pass along may have all ready been posted. Please forgive me if I'm repeating old information.

Back in 2009 the Crystal River Nuclear Power Plant was a major supplier of electricity for WDW. In September, 2009 the Crystal River nuclear reactor was shut down for major repairs. As a direct result, the cost of commercial (and residential) power in central Florida started to climb because other power plants had to pick up the slack and Crystal River had to fall back on their coal-fired generators for power.

WDW's green initiative endeavors to save energy in a variety of ways including the reduction in the use of electricity. I'm sure most guests have seen the property wide switch from incandescent lighting to LED and compact florescent lighting during the last several years. And of course we all know that WDW has reduced operating hours to save energy as well.

From September 2009 until February 2013 Progress Energy and later Duke Energy (owners of Crystal River) had planned to repair the nuclear reactor and begin producing less expensive power by 2014. However, in February 2013 Duke Energy announced that they would permanently shut down the nuclear reactor. This news sent shock waves out to all large commercial users such as WDW. It now leaves WDW with only one alternative. They must now redouble their efforts to conserve and use less electricity.

I won't get into the politics of the energy concerns in central Florida except to say that the political influences are heavy and WDW is right in the middle. At this point WDW really has no choice but to be a good corporate citizen and conserve.

Cody5242

Epcots decorations have improved over last year. Future World is still lacking but World Showcase is fine in my opinion. At least the resort decorations are still too notch

Cody5242

What extra decor have you seen at Epcot?
From what I remember there was extra decor such as snowflakes around the entrance of World Showcase. France had some unique giant Ornaments and had candy cane poles. There was more garland added to the countries but I don't think I saw one decoration at Japan or Morocco

freediverdude

I'm not sure I buy the conserving energy angle. It might be a small factor, but Disney does have its own power plant, and the ability to build more if it wants. I'm sure the power bill is high, but every other business pays the bills, decorates ( like Sea World for instance), and folds it into the prices. If they're so worried about so many light bulbs, then why are the Osborne lights still up, lol.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I'm not sure I buy the conserving energy angle. It might be a small factor, but Disney does have its own power plant, and the ability to build more if it wants. I'm sure the power bill is high, but every other business pays the bills, decorates ( like Sea World for instance), and folds it into the prices. If they're so worried about so many light bulbs, then why are the Osborne lights still up, lol.

Actually I think the Conversing energy angle might be a correct angle to go at esp with the signs they have plastered all over the Osborne Family Lights.
DSCN0162.JPG

80% saving is a big deal if the cost of energy has sky rocketed. I do think Disney is trying to be more Eco friendly and conservative with energy, but at the same time they need to find a balance and continue to offer Christmas lights that everyone wants.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I would guess that Christmas lights are a very small fraction of the total energy used by WDW. However, @Clever Name mentions politics in their post and thus, we may be looking at an issue that doesn't fully depend on the wattage of the situation. However, I would think that Disney should be able to find a way around this. @Tom is just now returning from a trip to DL and even though his trip wasn't entirely magical due to crowds, he did note that DL makes it look like WDW doesn't even decorate for Christmas.

(Note: I was just giggling to myself because I was picturing a hard curfew being enforced at the resorts wherein power is cut to all the lights at 10PM).

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
LoW was only displayed for a limited time during the holidays.
I would guess that Christmas lights are a very small fraction of the total energy used by WDW. However, @Clever Name mentions politics in their post and thus, we may be looking at an issue that doesn't fully depend on the wattage of the situation. However, I would think that Disney should be able to find a way around this. @Tom is just now returning from a trip to DL and even though his trip wasn't entirely magical due to crowds, he did note that DL makes it look like WDW doesn't even decorate for Christmas.

(Note: I was just giggling to myself because I was picturing a hard curfew being enforced at the resorts wherein power is cut to all the lights at 10PM).
I would say that as with "obsolete technology," politics is just another avenue to avoid detailing the true reason LoW was not brought back. And that is nothing more than eliminating a cost with a low ROI at best....

Figment82

Tom is just now returning from a trip to DL and even though his trip wasn't entirely magical due to crowds, he did note that DL makes it look like WDW doesn't even decorate for Christmas.

I completely agree with that statement. We were at DL just a little over a week ago and were blown away by the amount of decorations. Little nooks and crannies everywhere had something, every land except Tomorrowland and Condor Flats. It became a running joke with my family, "This shop on Buena Vista Street has more decorations than Epcot..." It really put WDW to shame.

As for Lights of Winter, I must admit that whenever I hear that particular version of Carol of the Bells, I get a little misty eyed. Don't judge... ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I completely agree with that statement. We were at DL just a little over a week ago and were blown away by the amount of decorations. Little nooks and crannies everywhere had something, every land except Tomorrowland and Condor Flats. It became a running joke with my family, "This shop on Buena Vista Street has more decorations than Epcot..." It really put WDW to shame.

As for Lights of Winter, I must admit that whenever I hear that particular version of Carol of the Bells, I get a little misty eyed. Don't judge... ;)
As long as you promise to do the same when I get something in my eye during Christmas Canon at the studios.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom