Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

COProgressFan

Actually it's not. The LOW are not the only thing missing- many smaller displays and decorations around the whole park have been significantly diminished, or removed completely. Last year I don't think there was a single decoration in all of FW (I feel like I remember a ridiculous discussion on here in recent years about whether decorations "belong" in FW- won't there be Christmas in the future?). Add the LOW's removal to the steady decline of decoration there as a whole, and it becomes the last straw. Plus, it wasn't just any old decoration- it was enormous! You could see it from everywhere in World Showcase, and served the perfect backdrop for the tree. It set the mood for the entire park.

Well said. The LoW was much more than just a decoration. The ambiance it created, the music, dancing lights, could be seen everywhere and really was a centerpiece to the entire park for the holidays.

Disney's marketing love to use words like "magical" yet they constantly take away the most "magical" things in the parks... :shrug:

Fractal514

Oh, I doubt they will be returning,
and I know your anger's burning,
But you know you can't change it, SO...
Let it go
Let it go
Let it go...

:)

Or keep talking about it, I don't care.

harryk

Let it go
Let it go
Let it go...

This is our way of keeping the LOW being missed and wanted back before the people who make the decisions. No discussion - they win.

jakeman

If you guys really want to be more noticed, you should again post comments on the blog, or better yet respond to any tweet from Walt Disney Parks and Resorts with a question about Lights of Winter (they can't edit that).

Fractal514

If you guys really want to be more noticed, you should again post comments on the blog, or better yet respond to any tweet from Walt Disney Parks and Resorts with a question about Lights of Winter (they can't edit that).

THIS!

I don't think talking about it is a bad thing, but let's not pretend like a topic on a fan forum has ANY impact on Disney. The public calling out of the lights of winter would be more impactful.

Reading about WDW no longer having things like the Lights of Winter and the numerous decorations they used to have, makes me reluctant to ever want to go there during christmastime. Why should I bother when they e but here's it and chopped off half the "magic"? I don't feel like supporting a company like that is all that good of a thing to do.

puntagordabob

Let it go
Let it go
Let it go...

...and yet you cared enough to write that... so Why Yes you do! :) lol

We just returned from EPCOT.... and yes the area between World Showcase and Future World is once again devoid of any Holiday Cheer.... the Christmas Tree in World Showcase however does look awesome this year.... but the lack of much else in the area (including the lighted walkway LoW) makes this awesome Christmas Tree an oasis in a land of sand and tumbleweeds when it comes to the Holidays!

harryk

At least WDW still calls it a Christmas Tree and not a 'Holiday' tree.

I just can't wait to see all the blue trees again at the fountain.......... yuk:xmas::xmas::xmas:

Biff215

Just got back and couldn't help but think about LoW as I walked through that area. I even looked for the footers that held it in place but saw nothing. There is a nice Mickey and Minnie topiary opposite the stage where PhotoPass is taking pictures, but it's certainly no replacement. While I agree that the blue trees are awful looking, we did really enjoy the show. Gospel might not be everyone's favorite, but they were very talented!

Overall we enjoyed the holiday feel in the parks very much even though there have been cutbacks. What we didn't like were the poinsettia/greens "trees" that were near the International Gateway and Spaceship Earth. They looked to be strapped to a pallet and just appeared very cheap. Not sure what they were going for there. I didn't want to punish my camera by taking a picture of it. :xmas:

JeffH

survey response

Note: the comment section in WDW surveys are to comment about the survey...
At the end of a recent survey I commented about how they don't have a comment section in the survey where I could note how I haven't been back to Epcot for Christmas since the LoW Arch left, or how they could replace it with a (bigger) RGB-LED light canopy like in the Osborne Lights.
I also made a few other suggestions that I would have made if there was a comment section in the survey.

JeffH

even without the shows

Even with the elimination of ALL the Christmas shows at WDW, the decorations (except at Epcot) are still worth the visit, along with the cool/cold weather, the early evenings (more cool, more nighttime wonder) and the great food...it's the most wonderful time of the year (at WDW)

But it sure was sooo much better to spend a truly Christmas day at the Magic Kingdom, enjoying special Christmas themed shows and attractions:
Perhaps a stop at the Grand Floridian to visit the Gingerbread House
Mickey's Twas' the Night Before Christmas GONE w/cocoa & cookies
Diamond Horseshoe Christmas show GONE
Country Bear Christmas show GONE
Special Christmas fireworks MVMCP
Special Christmas parade MVMCP w/cocoa & cookies
Castle Christmas show MVMCP

Same for Halloween.

gbruenin

We just returned Sun night as well, and Epcot really comes up short. When they 'retired' LoW the story was obselence. Couldn't get bulbs, controller issues, couldn't replace with LEDs, blah,blah,blah.

Well, I went to Studios and saw Osborne lights. Are you kidding me? All LED, sequenced/synchronized, the RGB-LED canopy with programmed displays! So, clearly the technology exists. And there must be $$$$ somewhere to convert everything to LEDs. So, I guess the only reason LoW v2.0 isn't back is....they just don't want to. And that's the truly disappointing part.

COProgressFan

Well, I went to Studios and saw Osborne lights. Are you kidding me? All LED, sequenced/synchronized, the RGB-LED canopy with programmed displays! So, clearly the technology exists. And there must be $$$$ somewhere to convert everything to LEDs. So, I guess the only reason LoW v2.0 isn't back is....they just don't want to. And that's the truly disappointing part.

I know, that improved Studios display just demonstrates the fact that the obsolescence of LoW excuse was just that -- an excuse. The fact is, if they can put up this type of improved LED display at the Studios, they can do it at Epcot as well. They just choose not to.

87 GN

I know, that improved Studios display just demonstrates the fact that the obsolescence of LoW excuse was just that -- an excuse. The fact is, if they can put up this type of improved LED display at the Studios, they can do it at Epcot as well. They just choose not to.

I am thinking positively that they were spending the time and resources to get the studios display converted over to 100% LED. Now that the studios display is complete I hope they will convert the LOW to LED and have it back for next year. As far as I know the arch's are still wrapped back stage, I have a hard time believing they were going to ditch them completely because they went through the trouble to warp them after the complaints of the LOW not being displayed the first year. The anchors, etc.. are also still in place along the path where LOW was installed. I might be foolish to think positively but one can hope, it would make my trip so much better next Dec to see it in place :xmas:

puntagordabob

Yeah the upgrades at the Studios were impressive... sure baffles me why they would want to leave the area where the Epcot Lights of Winter display soooo dark...... the Christmas Tree at the World Showcase looks great though!

I am thinking positively that they were spending the time and resources to get the studios display converted over to 100% LED. Now that the studios display is complete I hope they will convert the LOW to LED and have it back for next year. As far as I know the arch's are still wrapped back stage, I have a hard time believing they were going to ditch them completely because they went through the trouble to warp them after the complaints of the LOW not being displayed the first year. The anchors, etc.. are also still in place along the path where LOW was installed. I might be foolish to think positively but one can hope, it would make my trip so much better next Dec to see it in place :xmas:

janbri

no disney electric parade or fantasmic jan 22 thru feb 12

disappointed checking calendar no signs of these being on. no mention of this in disney info . hoping we are wrong anyone else know..

raven

disappointed checking calendar no signs of these being on. no mention of this in disney info . hoping we are wrong anyone else know..

Possibly. MK & DHS close earlier during the slower times of the year. This helps to keep costs down.

And before anyone should argue about the "costs" issue, costs are all handed down to the guests. If you want more you will pay more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom