Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

ToTBellHop

you a referencing a single week in time last year when there was an electrical problem with the tree at epcot..

Why the hell does everyone have to be negative? You won't have any issues with the tree this year.. All of the trees recieve new lights annually.

Apparently some people continue to have the same bad attitudes year-in and year-out though..

Still ed about the 25th anniversary Cakestle too? geez.

Funny, I could have sworn it was much more than a week.

They are Christmas lights. Is it that much to ask that they remain lit? If my Christmas lights burn out, I go out the next day and get new lights, because I'm not a Scrooge. And I don't even charge people $85/day to see my Christmas lights (among other attractions, to be sure).

I'm not a very negative person, certainly not on these boards, but Christmas lights staying burned out for more than 1 night (I understand things happen at the last minute and the show must go on) is unacceptable and did NOT happen in years past.

wdw71fan

Yes!

This thread needs a padlock.

Why? so someone can start a new one and then everyone complains because they didn't use the search feature and realize there was a thread on the subject already? OH wait, but it's locked now..

I hate that catch 22..

jt04

Why? so someone can start a new one and then everyone complains because they didn't use the search feature and realize there was a thread on the subject already? OH wait, but it's locked now..

I hate that catch 22..

I am sure there is a way. Perhaps a sub-forum for dead topics. I would nominate these....

LoW
Save the AC/PI
5th Gate
Monorail expansion
HM Holiday overlay at the MK
Any topic that includes the word "prefurb" :lookaroun

That would be a good start.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I am sure there is a way. Perhaps a sub-forum for dead topics. I would nominate these....

LoW
Save the AC/PI
5th Gate
Monorail expansion
HM Holiday overlay at the MK
Any topic that includes the word "prefurb" :lookaroun

That would be a good start.

You should be sure to include Hyperion Wharf, Marvel characters at WDW and High-Speed Rail in Florida as well then....

As with others, if you don't like the thread, don't bother with it. Simply complaining about it isn't going to get you anywhere.

jt04

You should be sure to include Hyperion Wharf, Marvel characters at WDW and High-Speed Rail in Florida as well then....

As with others, if you don't like the thread, don't bother with it. Simply complaining about it isn't going to get you anywhere.

There were three threads active yesterday on the topic of a 5th gate. I have no complaints with how this forum is managed but that just impedes other discussions.

And if Hyperion Wharf has been canceled to bring in "Pleasure Island Lite" the results will be interesting in a "see I told you so" kinda way. And I don't mean that in a complimentary way. :lol:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
There were three threads active yesterday on the topic of a 5th gate. I have no complaints with how this forum is managed but that just impedes other discussions.

And if Hyperion Wharf has been canceled to bring in "Pleasure Island Lite" the results will be interesting in a "see I told you so" kinda way. And I don't mean that in a complimentary way. :lol:

There was one new thread started by a new member, and two others bumped. Not applicable here. And how it impedes other discussions is beyond me; simply don't bother with them. Frankly, the only one trying to impede discussion here is you, which of course may be your intent all along. But since Steve seems to agree that people had (and continue to have) something to say about the LoW, it would appear you're out of luck.

You can get back to me on HW whenever it finally comes to fruition. Same of course for HSR in Florida. Or not.

jt04

There was one new thread started by a new member, and two others bumped. Not applicable here. And how it impedes other discussions is beyond me; simply don't bother with them. Frankly, the only one trying to impede discussion here is you, which of course may be your intent all along. But since Steve seems to agree that people had (and continue to have) something to say about the LoW, it would appear you're out of luck.

You can get back to me on HW whenever it finally comes to fruition. Same of course for HSR in Florida. Or not.

The world is getting introduced to the disruptive technolgy of the E-Cat this weekend. One of the technolgies it will displace is HSR. The govenor of Florida is obviously a forward thinker.

Soon your flying pollution free car will fly from doorstep to anywhere U.S.A. No need for obsolete rail travel at that point. :wave:

And WDW will be able to afford to recreate the LoW. A steampunk version. :xmas:

PalisadesPkteer

It would appear that Disney is content to wait it out as far as Lights of Winter is concerned. There is still complaints at Guest services but in a post on these boards there appears to be less of them.

So I feel Disney will just take it on the chin for now and just wait till the matter goes away. Do not think we will get a new display either. (Because as Disney has told us, the Lights of Winter are obsolete "yea, Right!")

And, Yes, some of the lights on the EPCOT Christmas tree were out for several days.

Then of course there is no longer a Character tree lighting ceremony at EPCOT either.

There are a lot of posts on these boards that will tell you (and I agree with) that the decorations etc at EPCOT are not anyway near what they did in the past.

The Candlelight Processional is the only saving grace lately.

JeffH

Christmas at Epcot...NOT

We go to WDW often, especially during the holidays and since the Xmas arches have been gone I don't think we've wasted any of our holidays at Epcot preferring to enjoy the holiday ambiance of the Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and even Animal Kingdom with it's quaint and simple woodsy decorations.
The loss of the arches with nothing to replace the amazing show they gave us is significant. Future World is sterile enough, but the (long) walk to the World Showcase needs something to bridge the difference... even a long light canopy (like at the Osborne Lights) would be delightful!!! Eliminate the large arches and make the lights a little more personal and encompassing.
Lights are the perfect way to join technology to culture(people)

harryk

The blue Christmas Trees were NEVER and will NEVER be a replacement. They are sad Target store display leftovers that were plopped on a stage with hack gospel singers. It is NOT magical! :fork:
a little tongue-in-cheek here, a little tongue-in-cheek there -- but no matter what - the blue Christmas Trees were presented as the replacement with the hack gospel singers 3 years ago.

So - I do believe the blue Christmas Trees can be considered the replacement.:xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas: :(:( :xmas::xmas:

worldfanatic

We go to WDW often, especially during the holidays and since the Xmas arches have been gone I don't think we've wasted any of our holidays at Epcot

Seriously?
You avoid WDW's best park during the holidays because your favorite decoration is gone??

:brick::brick::brick:

I can only assume you weren't a big fan of Epcot in the first place.
Because if not..................that's just childish.:hammer:

Goofnut1980

Although an Osborne Lights style show down in the trees and with lit sculptures on the lawns by the land, mission space and such would be really cool! Including lighting up the building in the central plaza... :xmas:

ttalovebug

Seriously?
You avoid WDW's best park during the holidays because your favorite decoration is gone??

:brick::brick::brick:

I can only assume you weren't a big fan of Epcot in the first place.
Because if not..................that's just childish.:hammer:

Actually it's not. The LOW are not the only thing missing- many smaller displays and decorations around the whole park have been significantly diminished, or removed completely. Last year I don't think there was a single decoration in all of FW (I feel like I remember a ridiculous discussion on here in recent years about whether decorations "belong" in FW- won't there be Christmas in the future?). Add the LOW's removal to the steady decline of decoration there as a whole, and it becomes the last straw. Plus, it wasn't just any old decoration- it was enormous! You could see it from everywhere in World Showcase, and served the perfect backdrop for the tree. It set the mood for the entire park.

EPOT is my favorite park, probably always will be, and yet year after year I find myself going there less at Christmastime. If it were not for the Candlelight Processional, I probably wouldn't go at all. At Christmastime, I want to be surrounded by Christmas. EPCOT just doesn't do that anymore. I can go at another time of year when it doesn't feel like something's missing.

aladdin2007

Actually it's not. The LOW are not the only thing missing- many smaller displays and decorations around the whole park have been significantly diminished, or removed completely. Last year I don't think there was a single decoration in all of FW (I feel like I remember a ridiculous discussion on here in recent years about whether decorations "belong" in FW- won't there be Christmas in the future?). Add the LOW's removal to the steady decline of decoration there as a whole, and it becomes the last straw. Plus, it wasn't just any old decoration- it was enormous! You could see it from everywhere in World Showcase, and served the perfect backdrop for the tree. It set the mood for the entire park.

EPOT is my favorite park, probably always will be, and yet year after year I find myself going there less at Christmastime. If it were not for the Candlelight Processional, I probably wouldn't go at all. At Christmastime, I want to be surrounded by Christmas. EPCOT just doesn't do that anymore. I can go at another time of year when it doesn't feel like something's missing.

I agree with this in full. Weve started going to the studios more at christmas time, its always very decorated and festive, maybe thats party because its more compact but still. Epcot has just continued to take away from lights of winter to the tree ceremony to very few decorations, even the countries (the ones that do celebrate) barely have anything anymore. It was not like that in the past.

PalisadesPkteer

I agree with this in full. Weve started going to the studios more at christmas time, its always very decorated and festive, maybe thats party because its more compact but still. Epcot has just continued to take away from lights of winter to the tree ceremony to very few decorations, even the countries (the ones that do celebrate) barely have anything anymore. It was not like that in the past.

Agree with this and what ttalovebug said. Add in that the Garden of Peace is gone being replaced with large gift boxes if I remember right.

What did the Garden of Peace have to do with the Lights of Winter as far as being obsolete? Is Disney saying the Garden of Peace is also obsolete?

To add to this, they no longer have large flower pots with beautiful flowers in them on the steps of the Temple / pyramid in the Mexico pavilion during the Flower and Garden festival either.

I got a huge amount of comments from CM's December 2010 when at WDW because I was wearing my "Bring Back the Lights of Winter" button. All saying they agreed with me.

aladdin2007

Agree with this and what ttalovebug said. Add in that the Garden of Peace is gone being replaced with large gift boxes if I remember right.

What did the Garden of Peace have to do with the Lights of Winter as far as being obsolete? Is Disney saying the Garden of Peace is also obsolete?

To add to this, they no longer have large flower pots with beautiful flowers in them on the steps of the Temple / pyramid in the Mexico pavilion during the Flower and Garden festival either.

I got a huge amount of comments from CM's December 2010 when at WDW because I was wearing my "Bring Back the Lights of Winter" button. All saying they agreed with me.

Good point, each of the countries during the flower and garden used to be adorned with all kinds of flowers, pots, baskets, garlands etc etc, and they have quit all of that. Norway use to have Poinsetta Trees throughout, Mexico like you said, Germany was festooned with flower garlands from the buildings, Canada had baskets of flowers on its buildings others had various things as well and for the most part they dont do any of this anymore.

Minnie1976

We are going for Christmas and the Light of Winter really added a special touch. I'm sorry to hear that once again they will not put displayed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom