Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

asianway

Not really. The controlling software for home use is a lot better than what LOW used. There was not a lot of difference in the LOW lights and what a lot of people used for their own outdoor displays.

You obviously don't know too much about the lighting industry. Technology now is obsolete very quickly, but it can always be replaced and upgraded.
Sad that Disney can't afford what the local neighborhood show off can...

Alektronic

there are no plans to bring them back... Jokes aside, the tech used for the entire system was obsolete, and irreplaceable. Therefore an entire new system would have to be purchased.. and it's not happening.. The arches have been in the same location for quite some time and have not been touched in years..
Anyone that compares it to plain old Christmas lights is being silly.. That's like comparing household landscape lighting to the lighting in a high school football stadium.

And what tech was obsolete? Do you even know how they worked? Or you just repeating some propaganda someone told you?

nytimez

The idea that Disney can't create or recreate the Lights of Winter or a similar experience is laughable. If the old technology is "obsolete," the new technology for this stuff is widely available and more inexpensive than ever. The Girl Scouts sponsor a lighting show in a parking lot near me that is fantastic, and it's put together by some of the Dads and stuff they find at the retail level.

What makes Lights of Winter "obsolete" is the fact that they can't monetize it.

wiigirl

They've been retired.

Awww...
75.gif

menamechris

What makes Lights of Winter "obsolete" is the fact that they can't monetize it.

Exactly. They realized that they could do away with it - and it wouldn't affect attendance at Epcot during the holidays because there are enough other offerings that bring people in (Candlelight Processional, Holidays around the World, etc.). If they took out the Osborne lights, however, I am sure it would affect attendance at DHS during the holidays. There are guests who are making a point to go to that sad park just to see those dancing lights....

nytimez

Exactly. They realized that they could do away with it - and it wouldn't affect attendance at Epcot during the holidays because there are enough other offerings that bring people in (Candlelight Processional, Holidays around the World, etc.). If they took out the Osborne lights, however, I am sure it would affect attendance at DHS during the holidays. There are guests who are making a point to go to that sad park just to see those dancing lights....

Right. And I think the Osborne Lights have a sponsor, which also helps keep them safely monetized. At least, I think they were sponsored last time I saw them.

I would be dancing for joy if they got rid of the Osborne Spectacle!! I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I, for one, HATE the Osborne Spectacle. I appreciate it from a technology aspect and synchronization aspect, but that, for me, is where it ends. It's garish, gaudy, and doesn't allow for any fun photos from September through whenever they take it down. I would LOVE to see those go away, but I know that'll never happen.

MerlinTheGoat

I would be dancing for joy if they got rid of the Osborne Spectacle!! I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I, for one, HATE the Osborne Spectacle. I appreciate it from a technology aspect and synchronization aspect, but that, for me, is where it ends. It's garish, gaudy, and doesn't allow for any fun photos from September through whenever they take it down. I would LOVE to see those go away, but I know that'll never happen.
Boo! Hiss!

menamechris

I am impressed by the technology and sheer size of the display, but I don't find it to be nearly as impressive as some people think/expect it to be. I make a point to go visit it every year, but I usually stick around for a couple songs, and I am good. You are otherwise just standing around chit chatting with people in an extremely uncomfortable, congested area. I put this display in the "something is better than nothing" column...

Admiral01

Premium Member

I've thought the same thing, but I know we are in the minority. One can't appreciate the Streets of America during the fall or winter any more... Besides, Osbourne is no replacement for the LoW.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
We are going to have to deal with thread every year, aren't we?

These threads are very useful, "Ah, a Lights of Winter Thread, it must be time to set my clock back an hour" ;)

I love the Osborne lights. We went to WDW for the first time for Christmas a couple years ago and started out day in Epcot. I really wasn't to impressed with the Christmas atmosphere there, but when we got to the Osborne Lights it really got us into the Christmas spirit.

BigThunderMatt

BLASPHEMY!!!! I look forward to the Osborne Lights every year. Reminds me of how my dad used to deck out our house growing up every year. Obviously it wasn't as extreme, but it keeps me happy during the holidays when I, sadly, am unable to make it home to see the family for Christmas.

wdw71fan

And what tech was obsolete? Do you even know how they worked? Or you just repeating some propaganda someone told you?

First hand knowledge of the situation..

Anything can be replaced, for a price.. but it's not being considered. I wish something would at least take it's place... but it is, what it is..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom