Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Duckberg

We just returned Sun night as well, and Epcot really comes up short. When they 'retired' LoW the story was obselence. Couldn't get bulbs, controller issues, couldn't replace with LEDs, blah,blah,blah.

Well, I went to Studios and saw Osborne lights. Are you kidding me? All LED, sequenced/synchronized, the RGB-LED canopy with programmed displays! So, clearly the technology exists. And there must be $$$$ somewhere to convert everything to LEDs. So, I guess the only reason LoW v2.0 isn't back is....they just don't want to. And that's the truly disappointing part.

RIGHT! Until patrons put WDW on notice by NOT :eek: coming mang. will do what they want to do to save a $$$. :brick:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Had a few reports this morning form friends at the Disney 5K, the Lights of Winter are still in their plastic storage wraps behind Epcot. They have not been scrapped or removed.

JustInTime

Had a few reports this morning form friends at the Disney 5K, the Lights of Winter are still in their plastic storage wraps behind Epcot. They have not been scrapped or removed.

It's so weird that they would do that. It can't be that much more money to have to put up and on display. Plus I am sure it would boot Epcot's tickets anyway. I just don't get it.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I didn't think it would hinder the ambience that much until being there in person. I did not go to EPCOT during xMas last year so I did not see it. My father is very laid back in his opinions but noticed it right away. It really killed the entire main path to WS not being there.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I didn't think it would hinder the ambience that much until being there in person. I did not go to EPCOT during xMas last year so I did not see it. My father is very laid back in his opinions but noticed it right away. It really killed the entire main path to WS not being there.
It is staggering how empty Epcot felt without LoW. 2010 was the last year we went to Epcot during Christmas and will be the last until a comparable replacement to LoW is installed. In the past, our Christmas trips were 4 days minimum. We have cut that down to 2 and do not feel like we are missing anything.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Possibly. MK & DHS close earlier during the slower times of the year. This helps to keep costs down.

And before anyone should argue about the "costs" issue, costs are all handed down to the guests. If you want more you will pay more.

Well, to be fair, if by that measure it means I'm going to end up paying for Disney's Next Gen investment, I'd gladly pony up a bit more for LoW to be displayed three months out of the year....

PalisadesPkteer

Because there were no Lights of Winter as the main reason and the reduced Christmas and Storyteller areas Disney feels is good enough. I stayed completely away fro WDW in December 2011.

I instead went to Sea World, Bush Gardens Tampa, Universal, IOA and Aquatica.

Here is the nice display Sea World had. Reminds you of a display EPCOT had once apon a time doesn't it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ak5EodyOdk

http://palisades1parketeer.imgur.com/all/

The photo of the Sea of Trees is 1 I took. I was there Dec 16 - 19 2011

tried fixing link to my photos on Imgur. hope it works now

Alektronic

Because there were no Lights of Winter as the main reason and the reduced Christmas and Storyteller areas Disney feels is good enough. I stayed completely away fro WDW in December 2011.

I instead went to Sea World, Bush Gardens Tampa, Universal, IOA and Aquatica.

Here is the nice display Sea World had. Reminds you of a display EPCOT had once apon a time doesn't it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ak5EodyOdk

http://palisades1parketeer.imgur.com/all/

The photo of the Sea of Trees is 1 I took. I was there Dec 16 - 19 2011

I agree. Sea World really stepped their game for the Christmas Holiday Celebration and they stay open longer and offer more shows.

Epcot sadly only focuses on one thing now, the Candlelight Processional and how many dinner packages they can sell.

zooey

Sadly my family agrees 100% with this assessment.

That bridge from FW to WS has always been a barren wasteland. LOW was nice for the season, but they should figure out something else to go over there permanently. I remember reading that there is a massive sinkhole in that spot and they were never able to find the bottom so that is why there is such a long stretch of bridge there in the first place.

cheezbat

I think it's quite sad how they don't display the LoW. That should be rethought and reworked into the holiday displays at EPCOT. Very disappointing.

wdw71fan

there are no plans to bring them back... Jokes aside, the tech used for the entire system was obsolete, and irreplaceable. Therefore an entire new system would have to be purchased.. and it's not happening.. The arches have been in the same location for quite some time and have not been touched in years..
Anyone that compares it to plain old Christmas lights is being silly.. That's like comparing household landscape lighting to the lighting in a high school football stadium.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
there are no plans to bring them back... Jokes aside, the tech used for the entire system was obsolete, and irreplaceable. Therefore an entire new system would have to be purchased.. and it's not happening.. The arches have been in the same location for quite some time and have not been touched in years..
Anyone that compares it to plain old Christmas lights is being silly.. That's like comparing household landscape lighting to the lighting in a high school football stadium.
Not really. The controlling software for home use is a lot better than what LOW used. There was not a lot of difference in the LOW lights and what a lot of people used for their own outdoor displays.

You obviously don't know too much about the lighting industry. Technology now is obsolete very quickly, but it can always be replaced and upgraded.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom