Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Mr.EPCOT

IS that real?!

If not,GREAT Photoshop.

100% real. On top of that, there is some kind of new display at Tokyo Disneyland that is named Lights of Winter. I have yet to find any pictures of it.

My best friend had a great idea of putting together a campaign to send in Christmas light bulbs in to Disney to protest the removal. Bonus points for an LED bulb.

hpyhnt 1000

WHAT A KICK IN THE GEOSPHERE!!! Look at what Disneyland Paris has!!!!!
Castle.jpg

I don't f#%king believe it.

Kick in the geosphere is right.

hpyhnt 1000

100% real. On top of that, there is some kind of new display at Tokyo Disneyland that is named Lights of Winter. I have yet to find any pictures of it.

My best friend had a great idea of putting together a campaign to send in Christmas light bulbs in to Disney to protest the removal. Bonus points for an LED bulb.

I got a whole strand of battery operated ones. They even twinkle. I'll be sure to send them in with a new, much angrier letter.

Here's what the DLP LoW look like at night. Remember we used to have this?

image_history_1.jpg

Mr.EPCOT

Just to clarify, the Lights at Paris are NOT the same physical Lights from EPCOT. Those are still sitting backstage along Woodpecker Lane.

Azerin

OK... I am very annoyed/upset by this change but I feel like I must correct something.

DLP did have Lights of Winter going down their Main Street; however, they stopped doing that several years ago and as far as I know are not back this year (I was there at Halloween and they had up the posts along Main Street that basically replaced the LoW so I don't think those pictures are from this year)

CTXRover

Castle.jpg

That picture is from earlier this decade. DLP has not had that particular display for many years. It was replaced with lighted decorative posts with princess crowns on top several years ago, likely utilizing LED technology. Below is a recent picture of this newer display from DLRPtoday showing the current decorations:

09treelighting10.jpg

Doesn't make the loss of LOW any easier though. Still awaiting a response from my letter I sent them.

hpyhnt 1000

OK... I am very annoyed/upset by this change but I feel like I must correct something.

DLP did have Lights of Winter going down their Main Street; however, they stopped doing that several years ago and as far as I know are not back this year (I was there at Halloween and they had up the posts along Main Street that basically replaced the LoW so I don't think those pictures are from this year)

After further research, you're right, so at least its not THAT much of a slap in the face. Still doesn't make the loss of our LoW any better.

And if I may say so, the LoW looked so much more magical than those LED crown things DLP has now.

Mr.EPCOT

That picture is from earlier this decade. DLP has not had that particular display for many years. It was replaced with lighted decorative posts with princess crowns on top several years ago, likely utilizing LED technology. Below is a recent picture of this newer display from DLRPtoday showing the current decorations:

09treelighting10.jpg

Doesn't make the loss of LOW any easier though. Still awaiting a response from my letter I sent them.

Ah, my bad. Sorry, everyone. I saw a picture in Disney Twenty-Three, so it didn't occur to me it might be outdated. :eek:

nemofinder22

I think you meant Hong Kong Disneyland is getting a new verison Lights of Winter:xmas: AND new this year it's a small world Christmas!
LOW.jpg

BroganMc

I responded with:

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
Wow, that’s an outrageous cost for something not that valuable. The seating area used for these parties is under cover blocking most of the high fireworks. I’ve watched from there before the area was repurposed for dessert parties.
I will be celebrating New Year’s in Disney this year (3rd year in a row) and will be dining at the parks. It’s a great time to be in Disney. But this party is way too expensive and underwhelming.
Funny thing is I watched the fireworks from that party spot (Noodle Terrace) a couple years ago, before they started charging for the party. I thought it would be a great spot, under cover with a table and front seat view of the castle.

What I got instead was a great few of the few up close fireworks and a ceiling-blocked view of all those high and behind the castle fireworks.

This party is a huge waste of money for any guest. You are better off camping out a good spot along Main Street or the castle circle and getting hot dogs from Casey's. You'll have a much better view, even if you have to look around a really tall guy.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Castle.jpg

They should send them to epcot... why:shrug:. They look horrible in main street, Main Street should have classic lights like the other ones (my opinion), and they must not be obsolete like the ones at epcot (Cough BS Cough).

MarkTwain

After further research, you're right, so at least its not THAT much of a slap in the face. Still doesn't make the loss of our LoW any better.

And if I may say so, the LoW looked so much more magical than those LED crown things DLP has now.

Oh, I disagree. The Parisian Lights of Winter clutter the look of Main Street and block the view of the Castle. The crowns look much prettier and do a better job of accentuating the street... in my opinion of course :)

TTA1

Disneyland Paris Lights Of Winter were retired after the Christmas season 2004/2005.

I was there for that Christmas with my Mum (52 yrs), who was dying of cancer (and died 3 months later). I'll never forget her face, as it lit up with joy, when she saw the lights were dancing and the snow falling on main street with Carol of the Bells playing. She had tears of joy and happiness in her eyes.

I was gutted when they retired them, but in Christmas 2005/06 I found them at Epcot, I got joy from seeing them each year and remembering my Mum and the memory of her face light up when she was see them in Paris. Now this year at Epcot, I'll see nothing :shrug:

...I don't think they looked as bad and cluttered, when you were there as much as they do in the picture.

BroganMc

Oh, I disagree. The Parisian Lights of Winter clutter the look of Main Street and block the view of the Castle. The crowns look much prettier and do a better job of accentuating the street... in my opinion of course :)

The point is EPCOT doesn't even have lighted street lamps this year. They didn't even bother putting up the dove of peace garden, for crying out loud!

I honestly don't know how I'm gonna stomach being in that park after dark. I had just extended my December weekend with a night at the oardwalk last minute. I fly down Fri Dec 4 and was going to visit EPCOT most then go to MK and DHS with my on Sun/Mon. Now I'm thinking I'll just pop into EPCOT to see the AA carolers and some storytellers, perhaps catch CP on standby then spend the rest of my time at the resorts. I'd much rather be at Osborne after dark now.

My brothers were thinking of skipping EPCOT anyway to go offsite or to a waterpark. I was trying to convince them not to miss anything Disney, but now I'm not gonna bother.

EPCOT Explorer

Actually, I think they are adding them back, though, they will be different.

Still...Those pics hurt.

EPCOT Explorer

The point is EPCOT doesn't even have lighted street lamps this year. They didn't even bother putting up the dove of peace garden, for crying out loud!

I honestly don't know how I'm gonna stomach being in that park after dark. I had just extended my December weekend with a night at the oardwalk last minute. I fly down Fri Dec 4 and was going to visit EPCOT most then go to MK and DHS with my on Sun/Mon. Now I'm thinking I'll just pop into EPCOT to see the AA carolers and some storytellers, perhaps catch CP on standby then spend the rest of my time at the resorts. I'd much rather be at Osborne after dark now.

My brothers were thinking of skipping EPCOT anyway to go offsite or to a waterpark. I was trying to convince them not to miss anything Disney, but now I'm not gonna bother.

That's true, too....They could at least put up a few smaller displays. EPCOT has NOTHING...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom