Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Actually, I think they are adding them back, though, they will be different.

Still...Those pics hurt.

They will probably cheap it up and maybe even use gemmi lights.

The point is EPCOT doesn't even have lighted street lamps this year. They didn't even bother putting up the dove of peace garden, for crying out loud!

I honestly don't know how I'm gonna stomach being in that park after dark. I had just extended my December weekend with a night at the oardwalk last minute. I fly down Fri Dec 4 and was going to visit EPCOT most then go to MK and DHS with my on Sun/Mon. Now I'm thinking I'll just pop into EPCOT to see the AA carolers and some storytellers, perhaps catch CP on standby then spend the rest of my time at the resorts. I'd much rather be at Osborne after dark now.

My brothers were thinking of skipping EPCOT anyway to go offsite or to a waterpark. I was trying to convince them not to miss anything Disney, but now I'm not gonna bother.

They have been cutting back on not just Christmas decorations but also cut all year around attractions and don't even get me started on the rides. It will always be nice there but nothing like the 80's and the 90's. Someday hopefully the disney economy will pick up and things will be on top of the world again but right now there is no sign of that. I cant say for sure but I think that Millennium celebration really nocked them out because after that is when I started to notice things missing and falling apart.

harryk

Well at least DLP replaced LoW, instead of just discontinuing it.

Received my LOW pins last night and have them in carry-on bags so that when we check into Boardwalk on 23 December we shall have them on. They are better looking than in the pics. :xmas::xmas: :xmas::xmas::xmas:

mrksmpsn

Fountain of Nations Christmas Music

Since the Lights of Winter is toast, and possibly the Dove of Peace Garden (the light white display between the Christmas Tree and the Fountain), do we even know if the Fountain of Nations will dance to the Christmas music as in past years? I am beginning to wonder.

donaldfan

Since the Lights of Winter is toast, and possibly the Dove of Peace Garden (the light white display between the Christmas Tree and the Fountain), do we even know if the Fountain of Nations will dance to the Christmas music as in past years? I am beginning to wonder.

I asked about the fountains on both the weekly recap blog and in an e-mail directly to guest communications. No response . . .

hpyhnt 1000

I asked about the fountains on both the weekly recap blog and in an e-mail directly to guest communications. No response . . .

Hopefully it still dances to holiday music. I'm afriad that they'll discontinue it completely because of the gospel choir that will be performing on the fountain stage. In theory, the FoN could still dance between shows, but that would require effort to program and it seems Disney doesn't like to exert a lot of effort these days... :(

donaldfan

Hopefully it still dances to holiday music. I'm afriad that they'll discontinue it completely because of the gospel choir that will be performing on the fountain stage. In theory, the FoN could still dance between shows, but that would require effort to program and it seems Disney doesn't like to exert a lot of effort these days... :(

Hopefully the choir performs during the day, I don't think there is any lighting on the stage? :shrug:

If they erect temporary lighting there and cut the fountain shows that will be terrible . . .

Here's hoping -- I love to sit up in the outdoor area of the Fountainview and watch the fountains and people watch. :xmas:

EPCOT Explorer

It seems they are doing nothing, save for the PoE tag for RoE. So happy THAT was salvaged, seeing the rest is dead.
So the headline should read "Disney CANCELS Christmas at Epcot this year"

Sounds about right.:(

BroganMc

They have been cutting back on not just Christmas decorations but also cut all year around attractions and don't even get me started on the rides. It will always be nice there but nothing like the 80's and the 90's. Someday hopefully the disney economy will pick up and things will be on top of the world again but right now there is no sign of that. I cant say for sure but I think that Millennium celebration really nocked them out because after that is when I started to notice things missing and falling apart.

Could be. I first saw EPCOT in '98. I had been doing one week commando trips from '01-'04. I didn't consider myself any sort of a regular then, just someone who knew how to read a map and look online for a schedule. It wasn't until '05 that I started coming for longer periods and different times of year, when I bought DVC. It hasn't been until most recently that I've noticed much. I loved my first F&G and F&W festivals. But this year, for the first time, I noticed some scaling back. I thought it was just me. This was my 5th year of my semiannual trips to WDW. Maybe I was getting fatigue. I was underwhelmed by decor and events for F&W.

Canceling the Lights of Winter may be the best thing that ever happens to the park. It's creating such an outcry among regular visitors/fans and internally among park staff that now everyone is talking about how stale EPCOT is getting.

For me, any downward slide began with the taking down of that millenium wand. It looked so nice and sparkly in the distance from Germany. The purists who insisted the park return to early 80's grandeur did not share my view. Their "grandeur" is my "collection of concrete buildings and restaurants".

EDITED TO ADD: Oh and from my park commando days, the elimination of Tapestry of Dreams parade was my first real sense of loss. I was there for the last day of parades, on a repeat yearly trip. When TDO ended that parade they killed excitement in the park. Now the only big crowd thrill you experience is fireworks.

WDWRLD

I agree. That would probably be the the cheapest route, but hardly obsolete.

The show they have done in the past could easily be programed on LOR controllers. Its almost limitless in the number of controll boxes you can add and the number of channels you can use. I run about 72 channels all wireless with music and it has been extremely reliable. What do they use to controll Osbourne lights, anyone here know. Also what software did they use for LOW before they became obsolete all of a sudden this year. Was it some sort of DMX system.

Mr.EPCOT

Could be. I first saw EPCOT in '98. I had been doing one week commando trips from '01-'04. I didn't consider myself any sort of a regular then, just someone who knew how to read a map and look online for a schedule. It wasn't until '05 that I started coming for longer periods and different times of year, when I bought DVC. It hasn't been until most recently that I've noticed much. I loved my first F&G and F&W festivals. But this year, for the first time, I noticed some scaling back. I thought it was just me. This was my 5th year of my semiannual trips to WDW. Maybe I was getting fatigue. I was underwhelmed by decor and events for F&W.

Canceling the Lights of Winter may be the best thing that ever happens to the park. It's creating such an outcry among regular visitors/fans and internally among park staff that now everyone is talking about how stale EPCOT is getting.

For me, any downward slide began with the taking down of that millenium wand. It looked so nice and sparkly in the distance from Germany. The purists who insisted the park return to early 80's grandeur did not share my view. Their "grandeur" is my "collection of concrete buildings and restaurants".

It was gaudy, cartoony clutter, and it was only meant to be there temporarily, so it's gone. Future World is supposed to be sleek, sophisticated, futuristic, and that wand was anything but.

If your first trip was in 1998, then you just simply don't know what you've missed out on. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The show they have done in the past could easily be programed on LOR controllers. Its almost limitless in the number of controll boxes you can add and the number of channels you can use. I run about 72 channels all wireless with music and it has been extremely reliable. What do they use to controll Osbourne lights, anyone here know. Also what software did they use for LOW before they became obsolete all of a sudden this year. Was it some sort of DMX system.

I'm not sure, but DMX is hardly obsolete. Perhaps somebody erased the program and they couldn't find anybody to do the reprogramming at the last minute. :shrug:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

EDITED TO ADD: Oh and from my park commando days, the elimination of Tapestry of Dreams parade was my first real sense of loss. I was there for the last day of parades, on a repeat yearly trip. When TDO ended that parade they killed excitement in the park. Now the only big crowd thrill you experience is fireworks.

I have to disagree, I hated that wand... just my opinion. That wand was a big waste just to put it up and then take it down in 10 years which turned into 7 years. 2003 was really good to but then the next year the first thing I noticed was the fountains have been let go big time, tapestry of nations was gone and all the little features in the park were missing and it went down from there. Thats when I started noticing things. I think completely changing imagination, replacing horizons, the wand and all the celebration events just caught up with the budget. I think 911 really finished it all off. A celebration for a horrible generation and what a 10 years it has been.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Just saw this on Mouseplanet (way to be up with the current WDW events, by the way:

Lights of Winter glow away

The popular Lights of Winter are no more. Their demise was announced through the Disney Parks Twitter account Wednesday afternoon with the message, "Note: The Lights of Winter at Epcot has been enjoyed for years. But tech to operate the lights is obsolete, prompting us to retire the lights."

Immediate protests were launched on the Internet and theories of "the real reason" for the retirement circulated wildly. Popular theories included the obvious cost savings angle and the possibility that the lights—which have not been converted to LEDs as the Osborne Lights have—create a big dent in the company's green footprint. Both of those theories, however, seem a bit less likely when you take into account that the arches were seen in an area by Epcot's parking lot.

If Disney had no plans to install the lights this year for either budgetary purposes or environmental reasons, why would they take them out as if it were time to prepare by cleaning them? It's more likely a combination of the earlier reasons plus a new one: It's likely that Disney brought out the lights to clean the trellises and prepare them for installation, then saw that there was some damage that needed to be repaired. If the cost of repair was not within the maintenance budget and/or the the lights would eat into the budgetary savings of the green bulb conversion, a decision could be made to just cancel the installation. Of course, the latter would certainly feed into the obsolete technology referred to in the message.
Either way, the 30,000 lights will not be appearing again for a while.

Sigh. I leave tomorrow afternoon. And Epcot is my favorite park, especially this time of year.....

EPCOT Explorer

Just saw this on Mouseplanet (way to be up with the current WDW events, by the way:

The popular Lights of Winter are no more. Their demise was announced through the Disney Parks Twitter account Wednesday afternoon with the message, "Note: The Lights of Winter at Epcot has been enjoyed for years. But tech to operate the lights is obsolete, prompting us to retire the lights."

Immediate protests were launched on the Internet and theories of "the real reason" for the retirement circulated wildly. Popular theories included the obvious cost savings angle and the possibility that the lights—which have not been converted to LEDs as the Osborne Lights have—create a big dent in the company's green footprint. Both of those theories, however, seem a bit less likely when you take into account that the arches were seen in an area by Epcot's parking lot.

If Disney had no plans to install the lights this year for either budgetary purposes or environmental reasons, why would they take them out as if it were time to prepare by cleaning them? It's more likely a combination of the earlier reasons plus a new one: It's likely that Disney brought out the lights to clean the trellises and prepare them for installation, then saw that there was some damage that needed to be repaired. If the cost of repair was not within the maintenance budget and/or the the lights would eat into the budgetary savings of the green bulb conversion, a decision could be made to just cancel the installation. Of course, the latter would certainly feed into the obsolete technology referred to in the message.

Sigh. I leave tomorrow afternoon. And Epcot is my favorite park, especially this time of year.....
Makes me wonder if they will even return next year....a shame. :(

hpyhnt 1000

What does that mean, "brought out the lights"? Isn't that area just off the Epcot parking lot where Mr. EPCOT took that photo the permanent storage area for them? I don't understand where they were taken out from...? :veryconfu

EPCOT Explorer

What does that mean, "brought out the lights"? Isn't that area just off the Epcot parking lot where Mr. EPCOT took that photo the permanent storage area for them? I don't understand where they were taken out from...? :veryconfu
Travis....it's TDO...It's not supposed to be understandable.:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom