Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

EPCOT Explorer

Wow that was a bit of catching up on... Did they really expect die hard Disney fans to buy that the technology was obsolete? Clearly they must not know about that dated parades that are running down MK and DAK for the past 8 years, or that castle float that was dated upon it creation back for WDW's 10th Anniversary? or the Electrical Water Pageant which Im surprised:eek: hasn't been cut after all these years.

Its really to bad they cut them I liked it. Added a perfect transition from Future World to World Showcase. What really adds a slap in the face is a brand new version of Lights of Winter is coming to Hong Kong Disneyland this year or the fact that Magic Kingdom will be the home to the only small world to not get a holiday overlay.

WDW fans should get very vocal(though it maybe to late for Lights of Winter) and tell TDO to stop stealing Christmas no one likes a Grinch... but as long as theres guests willing to settle for less while paying more (WDW parks are also the most expensive 1 day 1 park in the Disney empire) than Grinch will always be well fed sleeping comfortably and dreaming of what to cut the next year.

The Grinch shouldn't be slowing taking Christmas from WDW and then giveing it to the other parks, even more so when the other Magic Kingdom style parks Anaheim, Paris, Tokyo, and Hong Kong dont charge an extra penny except your general admission to experience everything thats Christmas like the holiday overlays, snow, Christmas parades and fireworks.

:xmas:

:brick:

I don't get it. The biggest Resort they have....and NOTHING. :rolleyes: That really shows how low management is .

Elaine M

There are stories on my local news stations about adding hand sanitizer stations around the parks, so I commented on those blogs about LOW cancelation and other holiday cancellations and said I called to complain and suggested others do too.

Elaine

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Well I can recommend not talking anything posted on message boards too seriously (especially by me). Given the number of juveniles and fellow trolls using the site its not that important. If all else fails use ignore or simply skip.

Some of us do enjoy watching car crash posts you know.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well I can recommend not talking anything posted on message boards too seriously (especially by me). Given the number of juveniles and fellow trolls using the site its not that important. If all else fails use ignore or simply skip.

Some of us do enjoy watching car crash posts you know.

I understand, and if the argument in question actually applies to the topic, I'm all for a healthy debate of opinions. But far too often on these boards the arguments denegrate into nothing more than who can post the most inane facts that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. And when we have hundreds of people expressing their anger, unhappiness and then ideas for the LoW, I just didn't see the need to watch another car crash from the usual suspects. :brick:

nbodyhome

There are stories on my local news stations about adding hand sanitizer stations around the parks, so I commented on those blogs about LOW cancelation and other holiday cancellations and said I called to complain and suggested others do too.

Elaine

Perhaps the cancellation of the LOW was to buy hand sanitizer - our new guest experience!

mickeysaver

I was just coming here to say that I am awaiting moderation myself.

Oh, you forgot to mention that this week was the week that you announced via Twitter that the Lights of Winter display at Epcot was retired because it was "obsolete technology". I am really hoping that some sort of "newer fresher technology" based light show will replace it next year. Any word on that yet?

Nemo14

EPCOT Explorer

So...as I tweeted this afternoon....The Dec. issue of D23 has a whole "Holiday in the Parks" section. What's mentioned in the first line of the EPCOT blurb?

Lights of Winter.

Sheesh. Even D23 :)rolleyes::lookaroun:lol:) has this thing still set up, and listed for promotion....Makes me TOTALLY think that the decision comes from TDO, and was last min.:rolleyes:

The Greed Patrol strikes again.

hpyhnt 1000

So...as I tweeted this afternoon....The Dec. issue of D23 has a whole "Holiday in the Parks" section. What's mentioned in the first line of the EPCOT blurb?

Lights of Winter.

Sheesh. Even D23 :)rolleyes::lookaroun:lol:) has this thing still set up, and listed for promotion....Makes me TOTALLY think that the decision comes from TDO, and was last min.:rolleyes:

The Greed Patrol strikes again.

Wow. Just..... wow. :brick:I don't even know why things like this surprise me anymore. :(

ErikaL

Disappointed

I am SO upset to hear this! I have never been to WDW for the Holidays, this will be my first chance in 25 some-odd trips to see this, and I was so excited. EPCOT is my favorite park, so I was looking forward to it.

Any idea if it will come back in "green" LED form next year?

Spotted...Lights Of Winter...

Not sure if anyone has posted this or not but I found them! The Lights of Winter exist. On my way to the Disney Golf Classic (or whatever they're calling it this year) we headed out through the EPCOT parking lot over by Explore and Wonder. As we headed through Wonder and made a left to exit, there tucked behind some trees, fencing, and two Studio Tour Trams were the LIGHTS OF WINTER. Sitting out there in plain sight upside down. I didn't get chance to take a photo because cameras were not allowed on the bus but I did indeed see them. They exist!

On a side note, I hope to god they're not finished putting up holiday decorations around property. If they are it looks anemic. Epcot has totally lost it's Christmas spirit and the Contemporary looks naked w/o the tree in front (the "hidden" Mickey on the one side of GCC is neat though).

Anyway, the Lights of Winter are out there rotting...maybe they'll wind up on e-bay!

Central Clear

Monorail Lime

That sounds like the same area where the remains of the SSE wand were left to rot. I have a feeling that this spotting puts the odds of LoW ever returning at roughly ziltch. :(

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Heres a source I found online.
"Sorry folks, I work for Disney, and can assure you that NO MONEY is made off of the lights, so they’re gone! ALL entities, rides, etc must pay for themselves in 10’s or 100s of PERCENT to last. In other words, if Candlight Processional didn’t net over $3000000/month, it’d be gone, with the sappy little singers with it! Disney is about money. Shareholders. It is not about pleasing guests and the ‘experience’ anymore." What do you believe, The technology is to obsolete or this article.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom