Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

hpyhnt 1000

Not defending Disney,but having less arches could mess up the computer.

If that was the case, in other words, if they had truly broken one of the arches and that meant the entire display was therefore inoperable, then come out and say it. In fact, they could have come out, been straight, said we had an accident and the LoW will not be displayed this year. However, at this time, we will be using this opportunity to fully update and upgrade the LoW so they will be back next holiday season bigger, better, and brighter than before.

There: you were honest, addimitted you made a mistake, but also go on to say that you're going to make the situation better. That would have been fine and I think 90% of us would have understood. But no, thats not what they did, mainly because I think the story that an arch "broke" is BS.

And even if they did break an arch, it does not mean that entire LoW is "obsolete." Heck, Disneyland's SM broke (Literally! A piece of the track fell off!) Did they declare SM as an attraction obsolete and just forget about it? No, they went and upgraded it and made it better than before.

There is no excuse that is logical for this situation; Disney screwed up, and screwed up big time. The sooner they realize that the sooner they can get to making things right.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Over 1,000 posts here, 200+ on the Disney blog, featured article on MiceAge, countless chat discussions, articles in local online papers, all for LoW. I know in the end that TDO probably won't do anything about bringing the lights back. I just hope they also realize that the WDW fans do have their limits.......:fork:

culturenthrills

BTW, while WDW has ditched LOW and Mickey's Night before Christmas. SeaWorld is adding 3 new holiday shows this year. An Ice show, a Christmas sea lion show(which I am sure will be really funny just like there other shows) and a sesame street Christmas show. So not everyone is cutting back even when their attendance is down.

dandaman

Um, dumb question of the night here, but what exactly does TDO stand for?

The Disney Organization :wave:

Team Disney Orlando. They're the the upper management for Walt Disney World.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

:eek:

BroganMc

BTW, while WDW has ditched LOW and Mickey's Night before Christmas. SeaWorld is adding 3 new holiday shows this year. An Ice show, a Christmas sea lion show(which I am sure will be really funny just like there other shows) and a sesame street Christmas show. So not everyone is cutting back even when their attendance is down.

Ah so now I don't feel so bad about my brother ditching us Saturday and going to Seaworld instead of burning a ticket on EPCOT. It makes him look smart.:hammer:

EPCOT Explorer

Over 1,000 posts here, 200+ on the Disney blog, featured article on MiceAge, countless chat discussions, articles in local online papers, all for LoW. I know in the end that TDO probably won't do anything about bringing the lights back. I just hope they also realize that the WDW fans do have their limits.......:fork:
I certainly hope so, too....This is pretty big for us.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

If that was the case, in other words, if they had truly broken one of the arches and that meant the entire display was therefore inoperable, then come out and say it. In fact, they could have come out, been straight, said we had an accident and the LoW will not be displayed this year. However, at this time, we will be using this opportunity to fully update and upgrade the LoW so they will be back next holiday season bigger, better, and brighter than before.

There: you were honest, addimitted you made a mistake, but also go on to say that you're going to make the situation better. That would have been fine and I think 90% of us would have understood. But no, thats not what they did, mainly because I think the story that an arch "broke" is BS.

And even if they did break an arch, it does not mean that entire LoW is "obsolete." Heck, Disneyland's SM broke (Literally! A piece of the track fell off!) Did they declare SM as an attraction obsolete and just forget about it? No, they went and upgraded it and made it better than before.

There is no excuse that is logical for this situation; Disney screwed up, and screwed up big time. The sooner they realize that the sooner they can get to making things right.

So right. And they dont need to make the lights dance if thats the case they can just have them light up without a show. Just the arches lit alone is amazing and makes a very memorable christmas decoration. They seem so amazing to walk thru. Never thought Disney World would become the world of disappointments, I thought it was the happiest place on earth. I know it's Epcot and it is one park but it is a disney park.

PalisadesPkteer

Wish I could help with the glow sticks idea but I don't arrive at WDW until Dec 1.
I have sent tweets and put my displeasure about this on Disneys blog.

Next will be e-mails and letters. Come on guys we CAN'T let them get away with this without a fight.

Where is Celebration25 Adam when you need him. He would be a good guy to organize something to show the discust about the LoW not being done.

nemofinder22

Wow that was a bit of catching up on... Did they really expect die hard Disney fans to buy that the technology was obsolete? Clearly they must not know about that dated parades that are running down MK and DAK for the past 8 years, or that castle float that was dated upon it creation back for WDW's 10th Anniversary? or the Electrical Water Pageant which Im surprised:eek: hasn't been cut after all these years.

Its really to bad they cut them I liked it. Added a perfect transition from Future World to World Showcase. What really adds a slap in the face is a brand new version of Lights of Winter is coming to Hong Kong Disneyland this year or the fact that Magic Kingdom will be the home to the only small world to not get a holiday overlay.

WDW fans should get very vocal(though it maybe to late for Lights of Winter) and tell TDO to stop stealing Christmas no one likes a Grinch... but as long as theres guests willing to settle for less while paying more (WDW parks are also the most expensive 1 day 1 park in the Disney empire) than Grinch will always be well fed sleeping comfortably and dreaming of what to cut the next year.

The Grinch shouldn't be slowing taking Christmas from WDW and then giveing it to the other parks, even more so when the other Magic Kingdom style parks Anaheim, Paris, Tokyo, and Hong Kong dont charge an extra penny except your general admission to experience everything thats Christmas like the holiday overlays, snow, Christmas parades and fireworks.

:xmas:

What I don't understand about this whole thing is how much money could they save? I mean I'm not defending them but the could've not shown the electrical water pageant for a short period of time and saved the same amount of money. Is it possible that the LOW were removed for another reason that is not budgetary?

aladdin2007

What I don't understand about this whole thing is how much money could they save? I mean I'm not defending them but the could've not shown the electrical water pageant for a short period of time and saved the same amount of money. Is it possible that the LOW were removed for another reason that is not budgetary?

yeah obsolete tech :cry:

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Extremely short-sighted management

Figment632

I strongly disagree. And ultimately who was behind the subprime mortgages? The banks and Wall Street, first and foremost. And then both Clinton and (especially) W, who relaxed and removed regulation and control. Subprime mortages allowed W to prop up a phony economy in the post-9/11 period.

Want to know what happens when Wall Street has no controls?

We came very close to the abyss ... and yet, we still let the foxes guard the henhouse and wonder why the behaviors don't change.

No. It isn't.

That's a fallacy that is pushed by those on the far right and the wealthy and spewed forth by talking heads on FOX, CNBC and CNN.

What made this country great was DEMOCRACY.

And despite what some would have us believe, capitalism and democracy are not the same thing at all. One might argue they can be diametrically opposed. And our Founding Fathers never said we were to have a capitalist system.

The Constitution. That's what made our country great (even if the Patriot Act reudces it to some sidelight that can be adhered to when convenient, so that we can get the 'evildoers' ... as to who gets to determine who they are ...well, trust your government right? )

Don't get me wrong. I do believe in capitalism. I just don't advocate the bastardization that has happened in the US in my lifetime.

Ultimately, it has harmed our nation and all its citizens.

And on a level in this discussion, it is why Disney operates the way it does. It can't largely run the way it did in good, old days because the Beast that is the Street needs to be fed constantly bigger, better numbers.

A fair profit is never enough. MORE! MORE! MORE! greed is good ... well, no it isn't.

It's turning us into a third world nation with nukes and delusions of grandeur.

No. I don't put much faith in the government.

But what is the alternative? Putting faith in Big Business and the Insurance lobby? I'll take the government.

People need healthcare. It is a basic of life and should be available to all, even if they are pennyless. Some folks just don't believe that. They think it is a privilege and you either afford it or you don't get it. I don't respect those people or that viewpoint because clearly it says to me they don't respect life and the responsibility to care for those who are the poorest and weakest.

And for those who say they don't want their money going to pay for insurance for others, all I can say is I don't want my money going for so many things (Iraq would be one) and I don't get a say in that.

How we can spend what we do daily around the globe, while Americans die here because they can't afford/get access to healthcare is an atrocity. No way to sugarcoat it.

I have family members who can't even get insurance due to 'pre-existing' conditions. That's just patently absurd. It's heartless and it's anti-American.

But it is 100% pure capitalism.

There are other options the government can't even rum the post office it is bankrupt, medicare, is bankrupt as soon as th government takes over the corruption will start. If you take out illegal immagrants and people who can affor health care but choose not to have it it leave about 20 mill unisured people. The President said that his plan would still leave 20 mil unisured :shrug:

There needs to be reform but it could be done with out a government option. Tort reform, they did it in Texas and insurance costs were literally cut in half. Give people tax credits and medical savings accounts and also make it illegal to turn someone away due to preexisting conditions.

We will all eventually be forced into the government system there will be no option. Big companies including the one I work for we drop every one because it is far cheaper to pay the fine than for health care. I don't want to have to go to the public facility to get my medicine.

Also Oregon has a public option and the state just denied 2 women coverege that had advanced Breast Cancer due to costs. This is what happens with public options. I don't know where your faith in government came from but you think big business is corrupt look at your own government its worse.

Also I find it funny that congress is exempt from this coverage, if it will be so good why don't these people wan't any part of it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom