Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

EPCOT Explorer

It's really starting to sound like that they found something wrong with LoW even before they were to set it up and decided repairing it just wasn't worth the effort. A classic epic fail on the part of TDO, especially with the reference to LoW in the D23 magazine....
Something wrong with them, more like.:lookaroun

And that would have made a better excuse than "Obsolete":rolleyes:...I would still be unhappy, but at least there would be a justifiable reason..

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Something wrong with them, more like.:lookaroun

And that would have made a better excuse than "Obsolete":rolleyes:...I would still be unhappy, but at least there would be a justifiable reason..

I agree; at the minimum we would have known they at least made an effort to set them up.....:shrug:

WDW Vacationer

The Castle Dreamlights don't make money. Nor do Osborne. I fail to see this logic.

:lol: I was in the Disney Store, and I always feel it is appropriate to scope out the enemy...and bug the CM about what's offered.

"75 bucks for a magazine and a mall...?....Maybe next time."
:lookaroun:D

:ROFLOL: When I tried to read one last Sunday,they were sealed in plastic things.:lol:

*Sighs* My favorite part about Epcot during the Christmas Times and they have to take it away from me maybe. I'm used to it though, they took away my Raspberry and Strawberry swirl from Enchanted Grove, Figaro fries over at Pinocchio Village Hause and for a long time now, I haven't seen the perimeter fireworks during Illuminations. They're ruining my childhood! :lol:

I really hope they somehow bring them back, if not, at least I have the list of the music that played during low. Beautiful Music.

LOW.jpg

low2.jpg

epcot85

I bet the real reason is that the location of the LoW don't make them any money, it's in the middle of the park, I bet in the future they add something like osbourne to the back of the park around world showcase so the "guest" will be near the restaurants even earlier in the evening. just my two cents..

EPCOT Explorer

*Sighs* My favorite part about Epcot during the Christmas Times and they have to take it away from me maybe. I'm used to it though, they took away my Raspberry and Strawberry swirl from Enchanted Grove, Figaro fries over at Pinocchio Village Hause and for a long time now, I haven't seen the perimeter fireworks during Illuminations. They're ruining my childhood! :lol:

I really hope they somehow bring them back, if not, at least I have the list of the music that played during low. Beautiful Music.

LOW.jpg

low2.jpg

Oh, those pics made me sad.:(

I bet the real reason is that the location of the LoW don't make them any money, it's in the middle of the park, I bet in the future they add something like osbourne to the back of the park around world showcase so the "guest" will be near the restaurants even earlier in the evening. just my two cents..
I doubt it, but it would be very, very, nice.

jt04

Thinking outside the box

Here is a thought....

Is it possible the budget for setting up the LoW has been diverted to fund the removal of the tarps and otherwise improving Communicore Plaza?

:D

EPCOT Explorer

Here is a thought....

Is it possible the budget for setting up the LoW has been diverted to fund the removal of the tarps and otherwise improving Communicore Plaza?

:D
If that's the case, which I doubt it is....then, ______. :lookaroun

A hard sacrifice to swallow, but a good one, in the long run.

Seems improbable, but not impossible.

hpyhnt 1000

My store had the 2nd one,sold out of the 3rd and did not have the newest one.

I have the first 2 and love them,even though FedEx damaged one.:fork:

Don't worry; in the future, packages will be sent via beams of light, which will allow them to be shipped quickly and arrive at their destination safe and undamaged. :D ;)

As for this other D23/maybe they were actually damaged stuff, then why wouldn't TDO come out and say it? I mean, yes either way they get the blame, but at least that way we know they made an attempt at putting them up. :shrug:

But since it appears Epcot has cutback on all its other holiday decor, I find it hard to believe that the LoW were cut because they were damaged.

And I wouldn't mind too much if the tarps were to come down. As bitter a pill as it is to swallow to see the LoW gone, it would be great to see Innoventions Plaza de-cluttered. :eek:

EPCOT Explorer

Don't worry; in the future, packages will be sent via beams of light, which will allow them to be shipped quickly and arrive at their destination safe and undamaged. :D ;)

As for this other D23/maybe they were actually damaged stuff, then why wouldn't TDO come out and say it? I mean, yes either way they get the blame, but at least that way we know they made an attempt at putting them up. :shrug:

But since it appears Epcot has cutback on all its other holiday decor, I find it hard to believe that the LoW were cut because they were damaged.

And I wouldn't mind too much if the tarps were to come down. As bitter a pill as it is to swallow to see the LoW gone, it would be great to see Innoventions Plaza de-cluttered. :eek:
Exactly. I could Live with now LoW, if they...

1. Said that they did break them, and that they WERE working to fix them...
  2. Removed CommuniClutter
  3. Added something new
And two are doubtful...:lookaroun *prays for #2 to come true*

slowbee

Here is what I got.

James, as a part of our normal course of business, we regularly evaluate
and adjust our offerings. __As a result we have made the decision to
retire the Lights of Winter, the illuminated canopy along Showcase Plaza
at Epcot®, as the technology is obsolete.

Although we understand your disappointment with this change, we have
several offerings for Holidays Around The World. We hope you will visit
us as we continue to feature the nightly Candlelight Processional at
America Gardens Theatre, holiday storytellers throughout World Showcase
and a special holiday fireworks salute each night following
IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth. __In addition, we are pleased to
debut a lively new gospel choir, “D’Vine Voices.” The group will perform
daily Nov. 27 through Dec. 26. __

Our Guests' feedback, as well as their continued enthusiasm for our
products and services, is very important to us. __We genuinely appreciate
the time you took to share your thoughts.

Mr.EPCOT

Not sure if anyone has posted this or not but I found them! The Lights of Winter exist. On my way to the Disney Golf Classic (or whatever they're calling it this year) we headed out through the EPCOT parking lot over by Explore and Wonder. As we headed through Wonder and made a left to exit, there tucked behind some trees, fencing, and two Studio Tour Trams were the LIGHTS OF WINTER. Sitting out there in plain sight upside down. I didn't get chance to take a photo because cameras were not allowed on the bus but I did indeed see them. They exist!

On a side note, I hope to god they're not finished putting up holiday decorations around property. If they are it looks anemic. Epcot has totally lost it's Christmas spirit and the Contemporary looks naked w/o the tree in front (the "hidden" Mickey on the one side of GCC is neat though).

Anyway, the Lights of Winter are out there rotting...maybe they'll wind up on e-bay!

Central Clear

Yeah, I posted some pictures way earlier in this thread a few days ago...

This is from this afternoon. Glean from it what you can, I'm not quite sure what to look for...
4086584103_7b62d5f99f_b.jpg

EPCOT Explorer

Here is what I got.

James, as a part of our normal course of business, we regularly evaluate
and adjust our offerings. __As a result we have made the decision to
retire the Lights of Winter, the illuminated canopy along Showcase Plaza
at Epcot®, as the technology is obsolete.

Although we understand your disappointment with this change, we have
several offerings for Holidays Around The World. We hope you will visit
us as we continue to feature the nightly Candlelight Processional at
America Gardens Theatre, holiday storytellers throughout World Showcase
and a special holiday fireworks salute each night following
IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth. __In addition, we are pleased to
debut a lively new gospel choir, “D’Vine Voices.” The group will perform
daily Nov. 27 through Dec. 26. __

Our Guests' feedback, as well as their continued enthusiasm for our
products and services, is very important to us. __We genuinely appreciate
the time you took to share your thoughts.
What a total load of BS.:fork:

And it sounds permanent.:(

PhotoDave219

I used to have it. Cant find the photo of it straight from the show book.

EDIT: THANK YOU STEVE SOARES!

Lights of Winter Song List:
“A Song of Joy Medley” - One Special Christmas, David T. Clydesdale presents
“Ding Dong Merrily on High” - Original arrangement, not available on CD
“O Holy Night” - Original arrangement, not available on CD
“Starry Night Medley” - One Special Christmas, David T. Clydesdale presents
“The Christmas Hymn” - One Special Christmas, David T. Clydesdale presents
“Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” - Christmas Festival, Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops
“Carols of the World Medley” - One Special Christmas, David T. Clydesdale presents
“God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” - Joy to the World, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
“Carol of the Bells” - David Foster Christmas

rock007

"LOW are obsolete"

Depends on your definition of obsolete. If I use same definition, then me and the family going to WDW year after year is also obsolete. And, for another example, Thunder Mountain Railroad is also obsolete, but I ride it every visit.. WDW Management should be careful to understand the broader definitions of some of the words they use.

JimboJones123

Lights of Winter Song List:
“A Song of Joy Medley” - One Special Christmas, David T. Clydesdale presents
“Ding Dong Merrily on High” - Original arrangement, not available on CD
“O Holy Night” - Original arrangement, not available on CD
“Starry Night Medley” - One Special Christmas, David T. Clydesdale presents
“The Christmas Hymn” - One Special Christmas, David T. Clydesdale presents
“Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” - Christmas Festival, Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops
“Carols of the World Medley” - One Special Christmas, David T. Clydesdale presents
“God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” - Joy to the World, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
“Carol of the Bells” - David Foster Christmas
Is it that they want to cut the religious ties to Christmas? Unless of course those ties buy thousands of WS dinners? Do not be suprised if the blasting of religous music through the park did not account for a large part of this closure.

The "we do not promote religious views, unless they provide a core source of income" attitude is too much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom