Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1974
You have made it clear you believe Eisner wasn't good for Disney. And you view Iger as some sort of savior. Totally untrue. But facts are not your strength. Obviously

Eisner didn't place anything. And PI existed when it was at THE END of DD ... it was later that a decision (a bad one, IMHO, even if I enjoy some of the items added) to add Westside and attempt to have a mall complex with a nightclub/entertainment zone smack in the center.

The West End was already on the drawing board when PI went in.

First JT, I don't keep a record of your posts like I'm reasonably sure you do of mine.

But I have read enough of your inane drivel to know you have often ripped Eisner and his management and decisions, while claiming that Iger is some great 'sheriff' who is riding in to clean up his old mentor's messes.

That has been the basis of countless posts of yours. To say otherwise is to blantantly lie and hope no one else will call you on it.

As to the Westside, it wasn't on the drawing boards in any real sense when PI opened. None. It was viewed as potential expansion for PI down the road. And indeed when it opened, it had a vibe closer to PI than to the Marketplace.

Disney decided they wanted one giant mall. They have one. Just one with a giant dead zone in the middle,albeit with a purrrty balloon (at night anyway).

Sorry, I'm not buying Eisner was as uninvolved as you say or that the CEO of any company "just doesn't have time" when big decisions are made. Heck, I have time to read up on and provide an opinion on just about everything Disney is doing. As many here on this forum can and do. So you expect me to believe many of these decisions go forward without input from the CEO. Nope, not buying it. Unless the CEO is purposely holding back and allowing folks to make or break their own careers by their decisions.

You can believe whatever it is you choose. Believe the earth is flat, universal healthcare is evil and texting while driving is cool. I don't care. It doesn't make it so.

What you view as big decisions and what Eisner or any CEO in his position would view are two different things.

Iger doesn't have the time or interest in whether LoW are at EPCOT ... or SSE's descent is lousy ... or whether attractions at WDW are in miserable show condition. He doesn't.

That's reality.

Bottom line is, if any CEO is going to claim credit for any and all success then, by the same standard, they have to take responsibility for any failures and then make the necessary changes. Iger doesn't pass the buck. He makes changes!

Ultimately, a fish rots from the head down. So sure ... in the mythical 'big picture' Iger gets paid to take credit for all Disney does right and to be blamed for everything that fails.

But it doesn't work that way.

D-I-C-K Cook was following Iger's edict to focus on family and tentpole films and cut production drastically at Touchstone and Miramax. He did exactly what Iger wanted. And when it failed, largely, he was sent away. So yeah, Iger made a change. But he also passed the buck because his strategy was a failure.

Much like he says he will stop massive discounting at WDW, while at the same time doing the exact thing.

The "too busy to take responsibility" excuse is nothing but a smokescreen. Try to scam someone else, it won't work with me.

I'm setting the record straight. You ignorantly live in a world where Bob Iger plans WDW refurbs ... oops, I guess I should say prefurbs, right?

Did he pick out the furniture in the renovated BW rooms? ... What about the MK holiday decorations?

I noticed Eddie Sotto didn't have a clue who you are until after you PM'd him. That is odd if you are as connected as you let on. Let me be the first to call shenanigans. By the way, truly connected people don't have to buy an admission. Ahem! :lookaroun

Um, exactly how would you know whether Eddie knows who I am or not? I am quite sure we haven't discussed that online. Perhaps you've been pumping him for info ... or maybe both ways?

Let me lay it out for you. I have tremendous respect for Eddie as an artist (although I don't think Sci-Fi City was nearly as great as some folks in the fan community do), but I certainly don't put him on a pedestal (I don't think he'd want that) because he was an Imagineer one time ... now over a decade past. I do wonder why he has opted to post just here, just in one thread and why he steers so clear from anything controversial about his ex-employer when I know the man was never shy about letting his feelings be known when he was working for WDI.

The fact he doesn't know who I am in the real world means nothing other than I value my privacy. Nothing against Eddie, but Bob Iger knows who I am (and not the WDW1974) part. And no, I don't think he likes me. His loss. On the other hand, Michael Eisner knows me as well ... and I am pretty damn sure if/when we run into each other, he'd be the first to extend his hand and buy me a drink.

Again, I don't see how you'd know what kind of relationship I have -- or don't have with an ex-Imagineer. And why that would remotely be important to anything.

And what kind of admission are you talking about?

PS- you really need help for your fixation :zipit: Really.

No, JT, you're the one with the online hard-on ... and it gets old.

WDW1974

Mr Cook, Rasolu/Staggs switch, changes last year, continued reassignments at WDW etc. Then add Pixar/Marvel/Stan Lee etc., and you get the idea.

What idea?

That Iger is a power-hungry, ego-driven CEO who believes he is bigger than the company he controls (temporarily)?

Yeah, don't want to make Steve mad. That is why I'm not getting into a duel with 74. Or Pumbas for that matter, even if it is so much fun to do so.

So you are off the hook Pumbas. :wave:

Too late on this front, JT.

You don't get to just take personal shots and then say 'I'm out because I don't want Magical Steve to get mad at me' ...you post provocative statements and then try and crawl back under your rock. You're lucky you post here because you wouldn't last on other (more adult) Disney sites. People would see you for what you are and you'd soon be gone.

BTW, did you ask Eddie who got Sci-Fi City killed when he was at Disney? Yeah ... that's probably not a topic for a non-controversial MAGICal realm!:wave:

jt04

What idea?

That Iger is a power-hungry, ego-driven CEO who believes he is bigger than the company he controls (temporarily)?

Too late on this front, JT.

You don't get to just take personal shots and then say 'I'm out because I don't want Magical Steve to get mad at me' ...you post provocative statements and then try and crawl back under your rock. You're lucky you post here because you wouldn't last on other (more adult) Disney sites. People would see you for what you are and you'd soon be gone.

BTW, did you ask Eddie who got Sci-Fi City killed when he was at Disney? Yeah ... that's probably not a topic for a non-controversial MAGICal realm!:wave:

Blah, blah, blah. :lol:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Blah, blah, blah. :lol:

Is that you quoting yourself again.

BuzzLightyearSadStrangeLittleMan.png

EPCOT Explorer

Craig Ferguson is the best thing to happen to late night TV in a long time. He really is so real and refreshing. Nice guy. And talented.

As to Staggs, I never said things wouldn't be better under his leadership. I'm just cautious. Iger has made it clear that his vision is what Jay's has been and what Tom is expected to follow.

WDW clearly is going to have some serious (and thankfully non-DVC) spending coming, but it needs billions at this point. Seriously. Just to deal with transport in a meaningful way. Expansion and updating of all four parks too. New entertainment offerings both inside and outside the parks.

Fantasyland is really just a tiny step in the right direction.

Again ... after a 2009 that saw almost nothing new anywhere (beyond timeshares) ... 2010 looks like it will see absolutely nothing new anywhere.

Four Parks: One Stale World
Agreed on Ferguesson. Shame he's on that late, he really is great for a laugh. Maybe when Dave retires, they'll bump him up, but it would be sad to see Dave go.

I know you were not spouting with optimism in the original thread, but there were a few that were mildly pleased that this change had taken place, and honestly, I do think that it's warranted. As a new comer, I hope that Staggs "stretches his legs" so to speak and dredges up some spending to give himself a bit of a edge.

Agreed on all accounts of Disney spending. I'd love to see the level of work on DCA be brought to all of our parks...but being me, I'll shoot for EPCOT! :D

Is that you quoting yourself again.

BuzzLightyearSadStrangeLittleMan.png
Disney Tie-In. Well done.

jt04

Agreed on Ferguesson. Shame he's on that late, he really is great for a laugh. Maybe when Dave retires, they'll bump him up, but it would be sad to see Dave go.

I know you were not spouting with optimism in the original thread, but there were a few that were mildly pleased that this change had taken place, and honestly, I do think that it's warranted. As a new comer, I hope that Staggs "stretches his legs" so to speak and dredges up some spending to give himself a bit of a edge.

Agreed on all accounts of Disney spending. I'd love to see the level of work on DCA be brought to all of our parks...but being me, I'll shoot for EPCOT! :D

Disney Tie-In. Well done.

It's "an" if the next word starts with a vowel, "a" if it doesn't. Just thought you needed to know that since you are in college now. :lol: :wave:

Sorry, pet peeve. :eek:

jt04

Of course. I'm not worried. Yet. Chillax. :) :lol:

I just found your postings on the FL thread. Very funny palm tree joke :lol:.

Anyway, they are just giving me more reasons to boycott the parks. This is really getting old if true.

I want to know one thing for all those "in the know" out there.

It's been said the structure at WDW encourages the VP's to maximize profits and their bonuses by increasing the number of visitors while decreasing or discouraging big capital expenditures. We have also been told this system is unique to TDO.

So, I just simply want to know this, who set this system in place and more importantly, why? :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

I just found your postings on the FL thread. Very funny palm tree joke :lol:.

Anyway, they are just giving me more reasons to boycott the parks. This is really getting old if true.

I want to know one thing for all those "in the know" out there.

It's been said the structure at WDW encourages the VP's to maximize profits and their bonuses by increasing the number of visitors while decreasing or discouraging big capital expenditures. We have also been told this system is unique to TDO.

So, I just simply want to know this, who set this system in place and more importantly, why? :shrug:
I was hoping you would get that. :drevil:

I agree with you in the sense that this is ridiculous and really throws a loop for all the good feelings we had for them. Hopefully NEWER *cough* Execs prevail here.

Why? Greed.

BroganMc

So is there any chance this comes back?

From what the fella working EPCOT Guest relations told me, that would be yes. In a reinvented LED way. In fact, he said the rumor (I don't take anything from a less than management CM to be more than "rumor") was that they would "dance" ala Osborne style.

What I'm expecting to see is a new archway designed with LEDs and many more lights.

In truth, after seeing how the area looked at night this year I'd be happy with some twinkling multicolor lights in the trees. It was so dead and people noticed. If you asked anyone what they thought of the decor in EPCOT the universal response was "disappointing".

EPCOT Explorer

From what the fella working EPCOT Guest relations told me, that would be yes. In a reinvented LED way. In fact, he said the rumor (I don't take anything from a less than management CM to be more than "rumor") was that they would "dance" ala Osborne style.

What I'm expecting to see is a new archway designed with LEDs and many more lights.

In truth, after seeing how the area looked at night this year I'd be happy with some twinkling multicolor lights in the trees. It was so dead and people noticed. If you asked anyone what they thought of the decor in EPCOT the universal response was "disappointing".

I've heard that it would be much different, though I don't know how relieale that was at this point. I would hope for more arches, though.

jakeman

Why? Greed.
It's may not be that simple.

There could have been many factors that would have led to a structure like that.

In fact, the same problem we are experiencing right now at Disney could be a reason why that policy was insituted.

It could have been put in place back in the mid-90s when the onsite hotel construction was at its peak as a way to incentivise (is that a word?) the VPs to get people onto property. That's just one situation off the top of my head.

The policy seems to have gotten a little out of hand now, but there are many very legitimate reason to put what is essentially profit sharing in place.

jt04

There could have been many factors that would have led to a structure like that.

In fact, the same problem we are experiencing right now at Disney could be a reason why that policy was insituted.

It could have been put in place back in the mid-90s when the onsite hotel construction was at its peak as a way to incentivise (is that a word?) the VPs to get people onto property. That's just one situation off the top of my head.

The policy seems to have gotten a little out of hand now, but there are many very legitimate reason to put what is essentially profit sharing in place.

What confuses me is that it appears WDW is the only resort to create this particular model. If so, treating WDW as TWDC's cash cow is shameful. IMHO of course.

EPCOT Explorer

I don't disagree, I just didn't say it that well! :lol:
What confuses me is that it appears WDW is the only resort to create this particular model. If so, treating WDW as TWDC's cash cow is shameful. IMHO of course.
Don't disagree here, either.

Nice to see you Dooming, jt. For the moment...;) :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom