Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

jt04

I was not aware of this wise choice in the matter, jt.

I don't even see how they do that...Are not the budgets TOTALLY separate?

Spending budgets are seperate, but profits are all thrown into the profit bowl. Then new budgets are created. At least that is how I thought it worked. I flunked economics. :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Spending budgets are seperate, but profits are all thrown into the profit bowl. Then new budgets are created. At least that is how I thought it worked. I flunked economics. :lol:

:lol:

That sounds reasonable, though it's horribly wrong.

I did great in it in HS, but it'll end there. Thankfully it's not a required course...:lol:

donaldfan

A company with multiple divisions will normally dividend their earnings up to the parent company. The "parent" company than decides how to redeploy capital -- stockholder dividends, acquisitions, stock buy backs, investments, etc.

EPCOT Explorer

A company with multiple divisions will normally dividend their earnings up to the parent company. The "parent" company than decides how to redeploy capital -- stockholder dividends, acquisitions, stock buy backs, investments, etc.
Makes me think that TDO are not the only people to blame in a money situation, such as this.

donaldfan

Makes me think that TDO are not the only people to blame in a money situation, such as this.

If they run like my company -- not an entertainment conglomerate, but still a similar corporate structure -- the business managers would need to present their case in something like an annual plan or what we call a CEP (Capital Expenditure Proposal/Plan). Still, local business heads can approve expenses up to a certain point, so depending on what WDC restrictions are on that -- which are normally tightened in tough economic conditions -- depends on how far up the corporate chain a LoW rehab/replacement would have to go.

Sorry for the run-on sentence . . .

raven

Don't know if this has been posted yet or not as I haven't had time to scan this entired thread. But I saw the old LoW structure this morning and they are covered in white shrink wrap on Woodpecker Lane next to Epcot. Normally they sit uncovered there from year to year but this time they have been wrapped. If they were going to scrap them they wouldn't have bothered doing this. So maybe it's possible they will be shipped somewhere to be reworked or to a new site altogether.

EPCOT Explorer

Don't know if this has been posted yet or not as I haven't had time to scan this entired thread. But I saw the old LoW structure this morning and they are covered in white shrink wrap on Woodpecker Lane next to Epcot. Normally they sit uncovered there from year to year but this time they have been wrapped. If they were going to scrap them they wouldn't have bothered doing this. So maybe it's possible they will be shipped somewhere to be reworked or to a new site altogether.

:lol:

I bet we see them gone from that site soon, and in EC next year! :lol:

Thanks for the intel!

TimNRA757

I saw this just last night and was wondering if any CM's had heard anything. I'm hopeful!

BroganMc

I saw this just last night and was wondering if any CM's had heard anything. I'm hopeful!
That falls in line with what the GR CM told me New Year's. The plan was to retool them with LEDs ala Osborne. Supposedly they "heard" all the complaints and are acting on them for next year.

jakeman

I saw that when we were running the marathon. It was during the walk to the start line...so everyone would have had to walk past them.

The tin foil hat part of me thought they had covered them to prevent folks from saying, "Hey wait a minute...they are right here and look fine!"

EPCOT Explorer

That falls in line with what the GR CM told me New Year's. The plan was to retool them with LEDs ala Osborne. Supposedly they "heard" all the complaints and are acting on them for next year.

I certainly hope that's true. LEDs would look very nice for this, though I wonder if they would put them in bulbs to mimic the style of the old LoW.

TimNRA757

That's good to know. When I complained to GR for the umpteenth time (using a different name with a different CM every time) he acted like they weren't sure what was going to be done the last time. I also more than just LoW will be done this year because there is so much lacking besides LoW.

dreamfinder

Saw em on the way to the start of the marathon and half last weekend. I wasn't sure if I was seeing things or if that is what they were. I was just gonna ask that too.

ptaylor

Premium Member
It looks like another year with no Lights of Winter, or a replacement. Does anyone have any information? This will be the third year now of no lights for Epcot.

hpyhnt 1000

It looks like another year with no Lights of Winter, or a replacement. Does anyone have any information? This will be the third year now of no lights for Epcot.

Are we really surprised? :( Have they even been touched since they were shrink-wrapped a couple years ago?

The only way something will happen is if Disney fans keep the pressure up, and even then, its only a very remote chance that something good will come of it. Send in letters/emails, visit Guest Relations, even boycott Epcot at the holidays if you have to. Can't just talk about; you actually have to do something.

menamechris

The only way something will happen is if Disney fans keep the pressure up, and even then, its only a very remote chance that something good will come of it. Send in letters/emails, visit Guest Relations, even boycott Epcot at the holidays if you have to. Can't just talk about; you actually have to do something.

Yeah, fan campaigns and letter writing seem to do very little now for anything. Disney seems to have no problem shooting us the bird these days....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom