Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
For me, the "hush-hush" talk of a new holiday display for next years reeks of WDW managment just saying anything to keep people happy after the LoW debacle. Until I actually read an announcement or see a new display being put into place, I think I'll keep my hand on the BS button.....

cdunbar

For me, the "hush-hush" talk of a new holiday display for next years reeks of WDW managment just saying anything to keep people happy after the LoW debacle. Until I actually read an announcement or see a new display being put into place, I think I'll keep my hand on the BS button.....
I use to be all about giving TDO the benefit of the doubt but after everything they've pulled these last few months between lights of winter, and the christmas displays being almost non-existent I tend to agree with wm49rs because they haven't proved themselves to worthy of the benefit of the doubt...:shrug:

WDW Vacationer

I think this is real.

Believe me,TDO is starting to see its errors,starting with this one. They are going to fix the errors too. They are realizing what WDW can,should and has been.

EPCOTPluto

No, several people have hinted at something new for next year...or years following.
And it better be something as interesting as LoW... :lookaroun

For me, the "hush-hush" talk of a new holiday display for next years reeks of WDW management just saying anything to keep people happy after the LoW debacle. Until I actually read an announcement or see a new display being put into place, I think I'll keep my hand on the BS button.....
Pretty much agree, with all the negative hype from the cancellation.

Hopefully, the message is true and there will be something new for 2010...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think this is real.

Believe me,TDO is starting to see its errors,starting with this one. They are going to fix the errors too. They are realizing what WDW can,should and has been.

I honestly and sincerely want to believe you (and them) when it comes to their c#ckups this year (and the ones before them). And I love the improvements, however so small they've been making at EP and the other parks, even something as small as the new railings around the fountains. That being said, the public uproar over LoW has seemingly been so intense and unexpected that it seems to me TDO will say just about anything to get out of the proverbial doghouse. Again, I hope you're right and LoW is replaced with something just and magnificent. But TDO will need to earn my trust for the foreseeable future.....

scottb411

Rebuke on LOW

I hadn't been to Disney during Christmas the last few years. I had originally blasted Disney on the Disney Blog post about removing LOW but after seeing the Osborne lights on the downtown streets for the first time (I told you it's been awhile) and the castle lit up, I can see where Disney is coming from with LOW being outdated. Don't get me wrong, I would still enjoy the LOW, but the new Osborne and Castle lights immerse you a lot more than what the LOW did and I no longer fault Disney for changing things up. Out with the old and in with the new.

tirian

I hadn't been to Disney during Christmas the last few years. I had originally blasted Disney on the Disney Blog post about removing LOW but after seeing the Osborne lights on the downtown streets for the first time (I told you it's been awhile) and the castle lit up, I can see where Disney is coming from with LOW being outdated. Don't get me wrong, I would still enjoy the LOW, but the new Osborne and Castle lights immerse you a lot more than what the LOW did and I no longer fault Disney for changing things up. Out with the old and in with the new.

But it's not "in with the new"; there wasn't a "New" for Epcot.

Epcot cut most of its holiday decorations, including the LoW, to save money without regarding Guests or good show. This had nothing to do with obsolete technology.

The Dove of Peace garden was cut, too—as were the poinsettia trees that once stood throughout Innoventions Plaza. The garlands that used to wrap around the World Showcase light posts were also omitted. Nothing was planted in the flower bed directly behind the Siemens SSE lounge.

Disney has tried blaming obsolete technology and the economy for cutting much of its holiday decor in WDW. Meanwhile, DL in California, DLP, and Sea World Orlando increased their holiday cheer.

WDW1974

Disney has tried blaming obsolete technology and the economy for cutting much of its holiday decor in WDW. Meanwhile, DL in California, DLP, and Sea World Orlando increased their holiday cheer.

You may need to keep saying this because some folks don't quite get it.
They simply choose to believe whatever they're told by da man (in this case, TDO).

They keep cutting because they've been able to get away with it by a largely less discerning clientele.

But I have been told by folks high up the chain that they realized they cut way too much (I'm sure sites like this had nothing to do with that:rolleyes:) ... and that EPCOT will feel much more Christmasy next year ... and there will be a new light display coming as well (likely in 2011).:xmas:

xtina72

I missed the Lights of Winter immensely this year....it was not the same.

The decorations in all the parks were lacking this year.

WDW Vacationer

Anyone want to theorize on what the "new" holiday offering will be?

SSE light show? :D

I heard SSE will turn in to a giant,glittering snowball!
:lookaroun

Seriously there are so many possible solutions. Lights,lasers,projections,all could be used in many ways to create a futuristic,immersive holiday experience.

EPCOT Explorer

You may need to keep saying this because some folks don't quite get it.
They simply choose to believe whatever they're told by da man (in this case, TDO).

They keep cutting because they've been able to get away with it by a largely less discerning clientele.

But I have been told by folks high up the chain that they realized they cut way too much (I'm sure sites like this had nothing to do with that:rolleyes:) ... and that EPCOT will feel much more Christmasy next year ... and there will be a new light display coming as well (likely in 2011).:xmas:
Pardon the impudence, but why not next year?
I heard SSE will turn in to a giant,glittering snowball!
:lookaroun

Seriously there are so many possible solutions. Lights,lasers,projections,all could be used in many ways to create a futuristic,immersive holiday experience.
I would not mind that first one. :lol:

COProgressFan

The fact that there "maybe, possibly, might" be some kind of replacement for LoW in 2011 seems like it might be wishful thinking, or just a small bone thrown by TDO to quiet fans for the time being. The fact that it is a "hush hush" rumor does seem to make it seem questionable.

If TDO really does have a big plans for a replacement in the future, why not come out and say so? Why not say that a grand new lighting display will be coming to Epcot next year, so prepare yourself for this wonderful new experience?

And if they really did learn their lesson from this fiasco (did they?), waiting until 2011 is not the way to go. They should do whatever it takes NOW to make sure that a suitable replacement is ready for 2010. Management at WDW is quite forgetful and turnover is high within both management and exec leadership roles. Just because leadership says in 2009 that there will be more Epcot holiday decorations in 2010, 2011, or 2026 does not make it so when we get there.

gbruenin

This year I had planned our holiday trip specifically to spend as many evenings as possible at Epcot for the Lights of Winter. My non-refundable airfare tickets were already in hand, so there was no cancellations on my side. As our trip neared, and I learned what was unfolding, I really hoped to find it wasn't true. It was so incredibly disappointing, probably the worst trip to 'the world' I've experienced since I first started visiting in 1974. So, when WDW management hints at perhaps something in 2011, it helps make the decision of 'no trip' (aka: no revenue to WDW from me) in 2010 or 2011 at Christmas. I'll bet I'm not the only one making the same choice.

A wise management team would commit and deliver sooner rather than later. They should be able to figure out how to 'plus' holiday offerings with a full year to do so.

Gary

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom