Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

aladdin2007

Also shows a lot about the regard they have for their followers, too.:rolleyes:

Yep how sad, and it all began with the gutting of Imagination what 10 years ago now? Or actually I guess for some it began with the demise of Horizons or WorldofMotion. And now that SSE is included in that list (descent wise anyway including some other opinonated changes) and Lights of Winter being cut,,,um whats their problem.:shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

Yep how sad, and it all began with the gutting of Imagination what 10 years ago now? Or actually I guess for some it began with the demise of Horizons or WorldofMotion. And now that SSE is included in that list (descent wise anyway including some other opinonated changes) and Lights of Winter being cut,,,um whats their problem.:shrug:

1997, the beginning of the end. :lol: Poor EPCOT. Or...Epcot.

Luckily, even with LoW in 2009, things do look up.

EPCOT Explorer

*ahem* late 1993 :wave: :(

I was there... :lookaroun :lol:

While the departure of EPCOT Center to Epcot might have been a drastic change, I've always thought that they could have kept the cohesiveness of EC with the E'94 flair. Which they sort of did...until 1997.

I guess you disagree, Martin? :eek: :lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I guess you disagree, Martin?
In part. 1994 was when we lost the original name and logo for a generic Epcot name. Horizons was too expensive for the Mouse to upgrade. Communicore gained its eternal nighttime feel and a nightmare layout. We lost so much greenery and space around the central spine. Cronkite was booted out of SSE along with some great audio and the forever trips-ville that was Tomorrows Child with its all encompassing video screens and lasers. The writing was on the wall for Motion and Energy. Kitchen Kabaret was being made homeless as was Symphony of the Seed. Odyssey was deemed surplus.

My mistake. We got Barbie.

EPCOT Explorer

In part. 1994 was when we lost the original name and logo for a generic Epcot name. Horizons was too expensive for the Mouse to upgrade. Communicore gained its eternal nighttime feel and a nightmare layout. We lost so much greenery and space around the central spine. Cronkite was booted out of SSE along with some great audio and the forever trips-ville that was Tomorrows Child with its all encompassing video screens and lasers. The writing was on the wall for Motion and Energy. Kitchen Kabaret was being made homeless as was Symphony of the Seed. Odyssey was deemed surplus.

My mistake. We got Barbie.

:(

True, I can't disagree with you. I remember most of that...Especuially the greenery, funnily enough! Horizons, too...I rode then.

Though, I do have to disagree on SSE...I much prefer Irons and Glitter City to videos and Cronkite, I know, blasphemy. I did like Tomorrow's Child, though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Though, I do have to disagree on SSE...I much prefer Irons and Glitter City to videos and Cronkite, I know, blasphemy. I did like Tomorrow's Child, though.
No, everyones entitled to their opinion.

I liked the Irons ending when I saw it first. Looking back though although clever in the space available it was just too cramped. The forced perspective was too severe and the mannaquins looked just like what they were. The whole original entering the space station and descending through it with freaky images really played to me. Or maybe I`m just freaky.

The score though... as much as TC is one of my favourites from anywhere the `94 descent is still spine chilling. So dark. So dramatic. So moody.

dxwwf3

SSE 94 score is as good as it gets anywhere. The new score is really growing on me, especially the main theme, but it isn't 94.

EPCOT Explorer

No, everyones entitled to their opinion.

I liked the Irons ending when I saw it first. Looking back though although clever in the space available it was just too cramped. The forced perspective was too severe and the mannaquins looked just like what they were. The whole original entering the space station and descending through it with freaky images really played to me. Or maybe I`m just freaky.

The score though... as much as TC is one of my favourites from anywhere the `94 descent is still spine chilling. So dark. So dramatic. So moody.
Mannequin always look like mannequin, AA's too. That never really works on me. What DID get to me was the symbolism. All of the "foreign" cities beaming there information to one huge "Utopian" and futuristic one, the glitter of information at the speed of light, and finally Spaceship Earth, finally visable floating in space start flying around it. It made the building you see on the outside have more meaning, to see it in the attraction. That, and combined with the music, as you said, was just phenomenal.

If you are freaky, I'm freaky, too. TC was a fun ending, IMHO. It made you smile. The song, the imagery, the constant movement. It really was cool. SSE94 was just more meaningful to me.

SSE 94 score is as good as it gets anywhere. The new score is really growing on me, especially the main theme, but it isn't 94.
Agreed. Martin described it perfectly above. It wasn't background music, it WAS the story of SSE. The new one, while VERY good when audible (as it was on my past ride!:sohappy:) is BGM. It doesn't carry the story in the same way.

However, it still is very good, and a favorite of mine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom