Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

cdunbar

Kevin Yee over at MiceAge posted an article about the reduction in holiday decorations around WDW, and pretty much tears up EP in the process:

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky121509a.htm
I wonder if they had to resort to using the monorail floor as a latrine. There are emergency windows in every cab – did they pry those open for air? To pEEd out the side? I'm serious about this – I want to know if they peed out the window! It's the mark of an insane Disney geek to be slightly envious to have missed the chance to pEEd off a monorail.
:brick:

Figment82

I can confirm the tree is fully lit - we were there on Sunday taking a few pictures of it (but the photos are rather blah without the LoW...).

The fountain also dances to its regular set of songs at night. I watched it dance to my personal favorite, Standing in Motion. Again, not the same as previous holiday seasons... :(

EPCOT Explorer

I can confirm the tree is fully lit - we were there on Sunday taking a few pictures of it (but the photos are rather blah without the LoW...).

The fountain also dances to its regular set of songs at night. I watched it dance to my personal favorite, Standing in Motion. Again, not the same as previous holiday seasons... :(

Ah, well at least it was dancing. Shame it's not on in the day time, but at least I'll get o see it once..:zipit:

marcriss

It looked like there was a consistent strand of lights out on the tree, Almost like it would be Should be garland, spiraling around the tree. I didn't get close enough to look if there were any lights actually out, but it looked like something was missing. Also, the Merry Christmas tags in different languages were more set back into the tree and harder to read.

All in all Epcot was worse than I expected it to be. It was really dark and devoid of decoration. The Gospel group is only there 4 times a day (we never saw them) and the whole stage area was just dark. No holiday music while we were there and at night we never saw the fountains dance to anything.

It was really disappointing.

The Photogs at Tusker House ere excited to see my Bring Back the LoW pin. They were really upset about them not being up.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

It looked like there was a consistent strand of lights out on the tree, Almost like it would be Should be garland, spiraling around the tree. I didn't get close enough to look if there were any lights actually out, but it looked like something was missing. Also, the Merry Christmas tags in different languages were more set back into the tree and harder to read.

All in all Epcot was worse than I expected it to be. It was really dark and devoid of decoration. The Gospel group is only there 4 times a day (we never saw them) and the whole stage area was just dark. No holiday music while we were there and at night we never saw the fountains dance to anything.

It was really disappointing.

The Photogs at Tusker House ere excited to see my Bring Back the LoW pin. They were really upset about them not being up.

If they can switch the fountain music in a day why cant they do that now. For all I care they can run it all day and change the music twice if there that uncaring and lazy. I saw the fountain... it is a wreck and they need to unclog and straighten out the nozzles. I haven't seen it in a year and a half but it looks horrible except for the lights. Last time I saw it there were some parts where there was no light on the fountains.

gsimpson

Travel Channel on Demand

I downloaded the Direct TV "Disney Holidays 3" from Travel Channel on Demand, which carries a release date in 2009, and it included a segment on LOW. It also received attention in Samantha Brown's Disney Holidays.

mickeysaver

Rumor mill says.....

We stayed at the YC recently and the CL CM that we spoke with at check in said that the "obsolete technology" excuse was actually more of a case of "inoperable technology". He heard through people that are in the know in management at Epcot, that the people that were responsible for storage of the LoW at the end of the last season did not store the electronics properly, possibly because they were to be "let go", due to budget cuts, around the same time that the equipment was to have been stored. So, because someone knew that the axe was falling, they didn't bother to do their job properly. It's a fine example of passive agressive behavior. The equipment problems were not discovered until they went to gather and test things for this year. The equipment was left out in the elements and due to water and weather damage, it just couldn't be fixed due to expense in time for this year.

Sadly, I can believe this story to have more than a little truth to it. I just wish that the whole thing had been handled more truthfully from the beginning. I have hope that all of our fussing will bring better holiday decorations and entertainment next year and in the years to come.

I also have to add that we didn't care for the gospel group's complete rip off of the song arrangement of the song "Joyful" from Sister Act 2. We didn't watch it, but we could hear it from the bench that we took a Margarita break at one afternoon. We felt that it was disrespectful of them to "steal" the entire arrangement/performance and not even sing it half as well. :fork:

donaldfan

We stayed at the YC recently and the CL CM that we spoke with at check in said that the "obsolete technology" excuse was actually more of a case of "inoperable technology". He heard through people that are in the know in management at Epcot, that the people that were responsible for storage of the LoW at the end of the last season did not store the electronics properly, possibly because they were to be "let go", due to budget cuts, around the same time that the equipment was to have been stored. So, because someone knew that the axe was falling, they didn't bother to do their job properly. It's a fine example of passive agressive behavior. The equipment problems were not discovered until they went to gather and test things for this year. The equipment was left out in the elements and due to water and weather damage, it just couldn't be fixed due to expense in time for this year.

that is what i heard (and posted) a few weeks ago also -- that the controllers were rusted out and couldn't be replaced since they were "obsolete" . . .

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

What doesn't fit with this story is that the decision to not show the LoW was made before March 2009.

EPCOT Explorer

Well, I did my part in GR...Fun.:lookaroun:lol:

What doesn't fit with this story is that the decision to not show the LoW was made before March 2009.

Well....Have we ever heard that the LoW might have been broken?:lookaroun I got that from 3 different people this weekend, two whom post here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom