Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

EPCOT Explorer

My preliminary shot have been fired and are awaiting moderation.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/11/disney-parks-blog-weekly-recap-3/#comment-1672

It looks like Gary beat me to it.

Yes, it’s been a great week…Shanghai, That awesome IASW commercial…but I wake to news that Lights of Winter has been cut from EPCOT!? That’s highly, highly disappointing seeing that it’s a classic part of “Holidays Around the World” and is considered the centerpiece of the event. In fact, it was my original motivation to head to WDW this December instead of next Summer. I certainly hope that this is just a lapse in news and the Lights do return. After all, don't we have the Dreamlights and the Osborne spectacle up? This should be no problem! :)

They are highly anticipated by myself, and others in the fan base. Hope to see them…

mickeysaver

I too am awaiting moderation.

Yeah, I too would like to know what’s going on. I look forward to spending some quality time soaking up the magic underneath those beautiful arches listening to holiday tunes as the lights twinkle in the darkness. It’s what makes Epcot feel like it’s the holiday season at night. It sets the tone for the park at night.

I was disappointed that the Tree Lighting Ceremony was cut last year. But, the Lights of Winter still made Epcot feel festive at night. I just can’t imagine Epcot without them at night during the holidays. We chose to skip doing the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package this year, due to the cost and the lack of a celebrity narrator that we felt was worth the time, money, and/or effort. I would have loved to have seen Marlee Matlin again this year, but that’s another story.

Basically, while I am sure that we will overall have a magical vacation, but Epcot after dark is going to be sorely missing magic.

jt04

To all those that dismiss my theory.

First the Country Bear Christmas show went. Then the Epcot Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony went. Then "Micky's Twas the Night Before Christmas" went. And now the Lights of Winter and it's associated Christmas music seems to have been cut.

And what replaced them? CBJ.....nothing. Tree Lighting? Nothing. TtNBC? Another Stitch Dance show.:rolleyes: LoW? Apparently nothing.:brick:

Something is going on here besides cost savings. Guaranteed.

EPCOT Explorer

To all those that dismiss my theory.

First the Country Bear Christmas show went. Then the Epcot Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony went. Then "Micky's Twas the Night Before Christmas" went. And now the Lights of Winter and it's associated Christmas music seems to have been cut.

And what replaced them? CBJ.....nothing. Tree Lighting? Nothing. TtNBC? Another Stitch Dance show.:rolleyes: LoW? Apparently nothing.:brick:

Something is going on here besides cost savings. Guaranteed.
I doubt it, because they have the name CHRISTMAS tagged onto everything.:shrug:

And if it IS the case....You GOTTA be kidding me.:zipit: Are we really that dumbed down and insecure?!!?

jrashadb

Generally, I don't really write in to Disney when they do stupid stuff. I've kind of learned to take the good with the bad. For every bad thing the company does, they usually hopefully) do two good things.

Still... The Lights of Winter, man. I love that show. I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't care much about angry letters sent in by Disney freaks like us because they know they're getting out money regardless and I'm pretty sure they'll care even less about Passholders like me because they already have my money, but I'm going to write in anyway. I look forward to the LoW every year. I don't think my annual Dec. trip will be worth my gas money... Now, a positive SM refurb might be, but that's another board.
:ROFLOL:

EPCOT Explorer

Generally, I don't really write in to Disney when they do stupid stuff. I've kind of learned to take the good with the bad. For every bad thing the company does, they usually hopefully) do two good things.

Still... The Lights of Winter, man. I love that show. I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't care much about angry letters sent in by Disney freaks like us because they know they're getting out money regardless and I'm pretty sure they'll care even less about Passholders like me because they already have my money, but I'm going to write in anyway. I look forward to the LoW every year. I don't think my annual Dec. trip will be worth my gas money... Now, a positive SM refurb might be, but that's another board.
Hey...Worked for DL. Maybe us, too.

Anyway, to bed for me. Hope to see better news in here tomorrow....:eek:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender

Holy crap, JASON!? Long time, no see! :wave:

jt04

I doubt it, because they have the name CHRISTMAS tagged onto everything.:shrug:

And if it IS the case....You GOTTA be kidding me.:zipit: Are we really that dumbed down and insecure?!!?

The new Castle Lights are not really a Christmas celebration. They are rather un-Christmas-y. Don't get me wrong, it's a great show but it's not about Christmas.

That really just leaves the Studios and I absolutely expect it will turn into an un-Christmas display as the years pass. Christmas is being "sanitized" even at Disney. The CP would be gone but it makes the mouse big money.

Happy Holidays. :rolleyes:

jrashadb

@Explorer -- Let's hope. Because I'm totally writing in.

@Sparky-- Hey, Jen. It has been a while. I've been lurking for the past month or so.

jrashadb

The new Castle Lights are not really a Christmas celebration. They are rather un-Christmas-y. Don't get me wrong, it's a great show but it's not about Christmas.

That really just leaves the Studios and I absolutely expect it will turn into an un-Christmas display as the years pass. Christmas is being "sanitized" even at Disney. The CP would be gone but it makes the mouse big money.

Happy Holidays. :rolleyes:

Hm...

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that Disney is that PC. But, I guess nothing would really surprise me at this point.

Dwarful

This news saddens me. We have friends who are making their first Christmas trip to WDW this year. Many of the things they have seen on our family videos are not even offered anymore....now this???? Come on Disney...you can do better than this. I will be sending a letter and getting my family and friends to do so too.

This reminds me of the movie Christmas Vacation...where the boss decides to cut the Christmas Bonus...only in this case cutting the LoW is Disney's way of being a lousy, no good, cheapskate!

jt04

Hm...

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that Disney is that PC. But, I guess nothing would really surprise me at this point.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong. However, I do see the irony in Disney remaking "A Christmas Carol" while treating the parks like scrooge.

And to all a goodnight. :xmas:

yoyoflamingo

This was going to be my first year at WDW for the holidays, only 2 nights, but I had made sure to remember to include the Lights of Winter as one of the stops. I really hope this is either unfounded worry or someone at Disney's heart grows 3 sizes to include them back in the holiday plans. I was really looking forward to seeing them and will be sad to walk through EPCOT and know I am missing something.

Please Disney do the right thing and include them!

vonpluto

Does anyone have any history on the LoW? Just curious, but they never struck me as something built specifically 'for Epcot', or by Disney. What was the first year of the display, and did it come from somewhere else before that?

When you get right down to it, the display itself is actually pretty low-tech with a fairly limited number of different circuits and colors. What's amazing is how well it works in the space, and how tight the programming is. It really comes off looking much more then the sum of its parts - and Epcot in December would definitely not be the same without it.

Best I can figure the Holidays Around the World theme, the Lights of Winter
and the Holiday Story Tellers all began in 1994 or 1995.
:)

dxwwf3

I can't fathom Christmas season at Epcot without the LoW. Surely this isn't true. Yeah I loved the Country Bear Jamboree Christmas, but this would be a bigger blow than that for sure. This is a hard one to believe.

marcriss

Here's the address I found on the boards:

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista , FL 32830-0040

I don't know if it's too late for this year, but if everyone writes maybe they'll bring it back next year.

I have a relative in WDI, the letters get taken seriously. E-mails are often dismissed as "heat of the moment frustration." Taking the time to send a letter signifies dissatisfaction. (The more detail the better when writing about attractions not operating.)

My hope is that they'll realize what a huge mistake this is....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom