Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
If communicated to us sooner, we perhaps could have dissuaded them in time!....Why weren't we told, then?!:(

Silly Disney....

I should probably clarify just a bit...

The information began circulating within a number of departments within the company in March, the decision could have been made much earlier than that. We haven't known since March, but Disney has.

EPCOT Explorer

The information began circulating within a number of departments within the company in March, the decision could have been made much earlier than that. We haven't known since March, but Disney has.
Ahhhh...Gotcha. Sorry about that. :)

....Makes me all the more sad. :(

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Ahhhh...Gotcha. Sorry about that. :)

....Makes me all the more sad. :(

The original post in this thread (Nov 8th) was the first inkling that we had that the Lights of Winter may not be appearing. After the post was made we had a number of contacts inform us that the decision was made known to THEM as far back as March. You can rest assured that had we known earlier that you would have too.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I'm sorry if this has been said but I don't wanna sift through 1100+ posts.

I spoke with a manager @ EPCOT this week and Lights of Winter is no more. They're "replacing" it with a choir in front of the fountain with several shows a night. LAME IMHO

krankenstein

Disney's e-mail response:

Dear Mr. _______,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

As a part of our normal course of business, we regularly evaluate and
adjust our offerings. As a result we have made the decision to retire
the Lights of Winter, the illuminated canopy along Showcase Plaza at
Epcot®, as the technology is obsolete.

Although we understand your disappointment with this change, we have
several offerings for Holidays Around The World. We hope you will visit
us as we continue to feature the nightly Candlelight Processional at
America Gardens Theatre, holiday storytellers throughout World Showcase
and a special holiday fireworks salute each night following
IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth. In addition, we are pleased to
debut a lively new gospel choir, ?D?Vine Voices.? The group will perform
daily Nov. 27 through Dec. 26.

Our Guests' feedback, as well as their continued enthusiasm for our
products and services, is very important to us. We genuinely appreciate
the time you took to share your thoughts.

Sincerely,
Walt Disney World® Resort

It is such a lame excuse....so lame. :fork:

EPCOT Explorer

The original post in this thread (Nov 8th) was the first inkling that we had that the Lights of Winter may not be appearing. After the post was made we had a number of contacts inform us that the decision was made known to THEM as far back as March. You can rest assured that had we known earlier that you would have too.
Oh, I know...I trust you guys....It's those sources that I'm mad at!:fork::lol:

I'm sorry if this has been said but I don't wanna sift through 1100+ posts.

I spoke with a manager @ EPCOT this week and Lights of Winter is no more. They're "replacing" it with a choir in front of the fountain with several shows a night. LAME IMHO
Very lame, and about 550 of the posts here are about that.:lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Disney's e-mail response:

Dear Mr. _______,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

As a part of our normal course of business, we regularly evaluate and
adjust our offerings. As a result we have made the decision to retire
the Lights of Winter, the illuminated canopy along Showcase Plaza at
Epcot®, as the technology is obsolete.

Although we understand your disappointment with this change, we have
several offerings for Holidays Around The World. We hope you will visit
us as we continue to feature the nightly Candlelight Processional at
America Gardens Theatre, holiday storytellers throughout World Showcase
and a special holiday fireworks salute each night following
IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth. In addition, we are pleased to
debut a lively new gospel choir, ?D?Vine Voices.? The group will perform
daily Nov. 27 through Dec. 26.

Our Guests' feedback, as well as their continued enthusiasm for our
products and services, is very important to us. We genuinely appreciate
the time you took to share your thoughts.

Sincerely,
Walt Disney World® Resort

It is such a lame excuse....so lame. :fork:
A BS form letter. Nice. :rolleyes:

Nick...Write back and demand to talk to someone. I want to see what happens....And I wonder if they'll answer, seeing they might know you from Twitter. Seriously.:wave:

jt04

A BS form letter. Nice. :rolleyes:

Nick...Write back and demand to talk to someone. I want to see what happens....And I wonder if they'll answer, seeing they might know you from Twitter. Seriously.:wave:

What did they tell you when you demanded to talk to someone? Did they answer? :veryconfu

DisneySaint

I've had the same sig for about 5 years+ now and I'll reference it again.

...and I'll also add this statement: "Disney will shut it down. You all will cry. Disney will sent you a generic response until you get over. You'll move on." It's happened dozens and dozens of times in the past and it's just going to happen again.

EPCOT Explorer

...and I'll also add this statement: "Disney will shut it down. You all will cry. Disney will sent you a generic response until you get over. You'll move on." It's happened dozens and dozens of times in the past and it's just going to happen again.
That's not parallel to this. If they were taking away LoW,a and giving us something new, it would be fine. This is just unnecessary cost cutting.:rolleyes:

hpyhnt 1000

In response to your sig, when a museum gets rid of an exhibition, they replace it with another one. In this case, Disney has replaced the LoW with basically nothing. (No, the gospel choir is not a worthy replacement. To use the museum metaphor, thats like replacing an exhibit about the history/evolution of porcelain with a few Chinese porcelain figurines. Sure, you've found a replacement on the same subject, but the size, scope, and meaning of the original exhibit is lost.)

I'm supportive of change; I'm very much NOT supportive of cutbacks.

PalisadesPkteer

By the way I know someone else mentioned this in this thread somewhere already but they are not putting up the Garden of Peace either (the spot between FoN and the former location of the LoW with the lighted snowflake like orbs with the doves etc)

So.. How come? This has nothing to do with LoW and it is not being done!!

WDW1974

That makes sense.

Disney doesn't make these type of decisions 'on the fly' ... I wouldn't be shocked if they made the decision before they even took them down last year.

But I am pretty sure that the decision was known internally early this year.

:xmas:

WDW1974

If communicated to us sooner, we perhaps could have dissuaded them in time!....Why weren't we told, then?!:(

Silly Disney....

Have I taught you nothing, Young Explorer?

Disney doesn't let people know about things that negatively affect their magical WDW vacations in advance.

And even if word had leaked sooner, there was nothing anyone in the fan community was going to do to change things.:xmas:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom