Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

MythBuster

Realistically, the best we can hope for is that the choir bombs as a crowd pleaser and TDO evaluates guest response come January-Feb realizing they need to put more into the budget for light displays at EPCOT for next Christmas season.

Given what I know of the area, and recent pictures/reports, I don't think it will take much to get the disappointment response from guests. As soon as it gets dark, that whole area will be very stark and ugly. The choir will add some noise and light but unless they are even more compelling than CP they're more likely to illicit complaints from guests for congestion.

The illogical thing to me is the TDO thought it was a good idea to have two choirs performing in the evenings at EPCOT. One with a very expensive dinner package and the other entirely free standby. As a guest, if both groups provide a similar experience for me, I'm happy to pass up Candlelight Processional and go for the free concert instead. Doesn't it seem like they're undercutting their own potential revenue pool by introducing competition?

The subsitute choir/entertainment is only scheduled for daytime hours. D'Vine Voices is scheduled at the Fountain Stage at 1:15, 2:15, 3:15 and 4:15

ChrisFL

Premium Member
People going all drama and overreacting with buttons, shirts, signs, etc. are just being absurd. It's not going to change anything.

Riiiiiiiiiight, like that whole Epcot 25th Celebration that didn't happen despite us...........oh, WAIT, it DID happen.

We had a big ceremony, special brochures, buttons, merchandise, special fireworks and you think it would have happened if over 1,000 people had not said "we want a celebration"?

EPCOT Explorer

Riiiiiiiiiight, like that whole Epcot 25th Celebration that didn't happen despite us...........oh, WAIT, it DID happen.

We had a big ceremony, special brochures, buttons, merchandise, special fireworks and you think it would have happened if over 1,000 people had not said "we want a celebration"?

And don't look at DL....they never listen, there....

PhotoDave219

Wait a second, where are you getting any evidence to draw a conclusion that this is a cutback? Why is everyone so quick to assume this is a cost cutting measure? The fact is the lights ARE old, they sit outside in the elements 365 days a year, and it may very well be true the technology is obsolete. Yes, everything is fixable with enough money, but none of you have any idea how much that would cost nor do you have an idea of what kind of budget Epcot/Holiday Services has to work with. People going all drama and overreacting with buttons, shirts, signs, etc. are just being absurd. It's not going to change anything. Writing a letter is fine - statistics drive change, not some cast member working at Guest Relations or the entrance to Universe of Energy who sees your button. Epcot VP Dan Cokerell (sp?) is not going to be parading around the park, notice buttons, and run to Meg Crofton and plead to pay whatever it takes to ge the Lights back up. I hate to be frank but deal with it, people. When Lone Star Steakhouse got rid of their $9.99 steak bites I quit going there. But to say more than a handful of maniacs will cancel their trip because some lights are put up is ridiculous. And we all know they'll be back. That's what people said about Mr Toad, that's what people said about Horizons, and that's what people said about everything else that's closed. People spaz out then they move on. Write your letter to get your statistic counted, then move on. Spend your time focusing on more important things in life than whether lights are up at a theme park you're going to visit for all of a few days out of the year (if that). You have no idea if the facts behind the decision and if you think you do, then go down to Casting, apply for a job, spend 10-15 years working your way up to a respectable position, then look at your budget vs. increasing attendance and then propose why you think bringing Lights of Winter back is vital to the survival of the company.

I really don't think you get it.

The overall point, despite the ferver of some of the Epcot Fanboiz, is that Disney has cut quality, offerings, attractions and entertainment all the whilst riding it to a $1.4 BILLION DOLLAR PROFIT for the Parks and Resorts division.

There's a certain point when reasonable people say they've had enough of a situation and IMO we've reached this point.

... and BTW, you don't go to the casting building anymore. You do it online first and then Disney calls you. So get your facts straight first.....

hpyhnt 1000

The subsitute choir/entertainment is only scheduled for daytime hours. D'Vine Voices is scheduled at the Fountain Stage at 1:15, 2:15, 3:15 and 4:15

They'll be performing in the afternoon? Well, that completely negates the argument that the gospel group was the "replacement" for the LoW. So apart from the FoN, which hopefully will still perform to Christmas music, there will be nothing going on during the evening in the future World/World Showcase Plaza area. Sad... :(

EpcotServo

... and BTW, you don't go to the casting building anymore. You do it online first and then Disney calls you. So get your facts straight first.....

Which is in itself a notable example of losing the quality of old Disney.

The online thing is really a joke, and it's definitely not serving Disney well...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Which is in itself a notable example of losing the quality of old Disney.

The online thing is really a joke, and it's definitely not serving Disney well...

Right, especially as beautiful as the inside of the Casting building is...I was never a fan of the exterior but inside it's very nice. It really gets people excited to be working for Disney I think

EPCOT Explorer

Via LiveWDWUpdates.....

This is on the FW Stage.:brick:

44335426.jpg

44335441.jpg

EpcotServo

Right, especially as beautiful as the inside of the Casting building is...I was never a fan of the exterior but inside it's very nice. It really gets people excited to be working for Disney I think

I know...I was thrilled to finally be walking up there the other day with the intent to go through the old process- Only to be sent online.
:brick:

It's hard for people to make an impression when "Do you have and stand by the Disney Look" is simply a check box, with no human interaction whatsoever. I know places like McDonald's do it online, but the old casting process was so much more involved, and therefore better.
:dazzle:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I know...I was thrilled to finally be walking up there the other day with the intent to go through the old process- Only to be sent online.
:brick:

It's hard for people to make an impression when "Do you have and stand by the Disney Look" is simply a check box, with no human interaction whatsoever. I know places like McDonald's do it online, but the old casting process was so much more involved, and therefore better.
:dazzle:

So they can't even see in person if people have tattoos, etc.? wow

Next Big Thing

So they can't even see in person if people have tattoos, etc.? wow
according to what they told us on the KTTK tour, you can have tattoos, they just either need to be somewhere where people can't see them or if they are out on your arms where someone could, you need to where long sleeves while working.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
according to what they told us on the KTTK tour, you can have tattoos, they just either need to be somewhere where people can't see them or if they are out on your arms where someone could, you need to where long sleeves while working.

Yes, I know the policy, but it's still something you'd expect them to need to see in person first, but I guess it is not a big concern for them anymore.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
We're here tonight for Illuminations. And while the tree is lovely all lit up at night, we didn't even bother walking over to it. Without LOW to walk under and watch, it really isn't the same. And I have to admit, even though holiday music is being played throughout the lands, there isn't an overwhelming display of holiday decorations. I'm sitting outside of Chefs de France, and the only thing akin to the holidays are some lighted wreaths in the restaurant windows. Hopefully Illuminations hasn't changed...:(

EPCOT Explorer

Hm... interesting to see the advertising props on the stage. Well, we'll see what this gospel group is like. :shrug:
I hate them....They ook very cheap and out of place. :brick:
We're here tonight for Illuminations. And while the tree is lovely all lit up at night, we didn't even bother walking over to it. Without LOW to walk under and watch, it really isn't the same. And I have to admit, even though holiday music is being played throughout the lands, there isn't an overwhelming display of holiday decorations. I'm sitting outside of Chefs de France, and the only thing akin to the holidays are some lighted wreaths in the restaurant windows. Hopefully Illuminations hasn't changed...:(
Ugh, that'll effectively ruin Holidays Around the World for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom