Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

TURKEY

Didn't know if someone posted this or not but this is from the Hub. If someone has, just ignore this post. :wave:

"We update our holiday events and décor annually to offer new experiences to our Guests.
As a result, Lights of Winter, the illuminated canopy along Showcase Plaza at Epcot®, will no longer be displayed during Holidays Around The World.
In addition to the numerous experiences offered during this year’s Holidays Around The World event, we are pleased to debut a lively new gospel choir, “D’Vine Voices.” The group will perform daily Nov. 27 through Dec. 26 on the Future World Fountain Stage.
Holidays Around The World will continue to feature the nightly Candlelight Processional at America Gardens Theatre, holiday storytellers throughout World Showcase and a special holiday fireworks salute each night following IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth.
Guests also may enjoy many other entertainment offerings throughout the park, including the Dickens Carolers at The American Adventure."

Does it mention how many sets the choir or the Dickens Carolers will be doing daily?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
They improved profits while unemployment went through the roof. Yes, it's a very big deal. And you should especiaaly be aware of that since you were calling for the price to drop under $10 less than a year ago.

Remember? :shrug:

Perhaps I lack your business acumen but can you explain to me the correlation between unemployment and profits and a determining of popular success.

Unless you are saying that Disney used unemployment rises to drive down wages to a more compliant work force while at the same time increasing charges to customers.

Now I could be wrong but in any business I’ve run, if you reduce costs and increase charges you dont have to shift as many units to make the same money, so Im not quite sure how that relates toa sustainable long term business plan. The stock market doesn’t seem to be that impressed either.

Vernonpush

Didn't know if someone posted this or not but this is from the Hub. If someone has, just ignore this post. :wave:

"We update our holiday events and décor annually to offer new experiences to our Guests.
As a result, Lights of Winter, the illuminated canopy along Showcase Plaza at Epcot®, will no longer be displayed during Holidays Around The World.
In addition to the numerous experiences offered during this year’s Holidays Around The World event, we are pleased to debut a lively new gospel choir, “D’Vine Voices.” The group will perform daily Nov. 27 through Dec. 26 on the Future World Fountain Stage.
Holidays Around The World will continue to feature the nightly Candlelight Processional at America Gardens Theatre, holiday storytellers throughout World Showcase and a special holiday fireworks salute each night following IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth.
Guests also may enjoy many other entertainment offerings throughout the park, including the Dickens Carolers at The American Adventure."

Thus the reason the Future World Fountain Stage has bas been kept (even though lots of people want it gone). :lookaroun

Texas84

I guess I took those lights for granted since we go every December. They are just supposed to be there. It's a standard display for us. Now it's gone and it's very sad. You don't know what you've got till it's gone. :(

grumpytodd

But what can we really do?

Stay united. Don't forget what they've done and continue to do after the sparse decorations come down in January. Bring light to their cuts by all available outlets - blogs, email, snail mail, telephone, and other website posts. Contact TDO directly.

Only one light lit on a LoW arch is really not that impressive, but when they're all lit, WOW!

Jasonflz

:lol: Let's just keep pestering them till they give in. Boy, do I wish some people on these boards were in charge of Disney.

mickeysaver

"Disney pictures presents Epcot's Bah-humbug Holiday Extravaganza" - "Come out and see all your xmas favorites like No Xmas lights!! Wreaths and ornaments and other pieces of holiday cheer-- F-THEM. Come join us and Jim Carrey as Scrooge as we make the holidays less and less special and void of any feeling while we cornhole you and your family for every last holiday penny you have---Bah-Humbug!!! (Scrooge not guaranteed to appear at posted times, guests wearing or spreading holiday cheer is not endorsed by the Walt Disney Company and will be subject to pass revocation)"

It's rude and it's oh so wrong, but it's sadly right on the money.

Seriously, laughed so hard that I had an asthma attack. :lol:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Never thought I'd see the day where I could see a better Christmas lights display driving around the campsites at Fort Wilderness than in Epcot.....:rolleyes:

EPCOT Explorer

Quoted for truth.

It's been happening for over a decade now.

And while all the resorts have their issues, none have seen the declining by degrees (Kevin Yee's term) that WDW has.

They've all lost things, but they've also ADDED ... in many cases substantial better things.

WDW just keeps chugging on, living off a reputation from say 1971-1996, charging more and giving less.

It's a sad realization when fans get that into their skulls, but it's better than living in perpetual pixie dust.
Aaaand, hopefully as I've been saying this involvement leads to big things and changes. Remember Disneyland?:D

I hate to say this and I know it sounds extreme, but we just decided to cancel our two candlelight packages. Yes the show is still fantastic and all but for the prices they charge and yet taking nice things away in the park, lights of winter, we can use all that money much better elsewhere.

The news is just depressing enough I have no desire to spend time at Epcot during the next couple of months. By the way lights of winter was never a big deal for us per say, but it was super nice and its the principle of the matter. Im sure we will spend some time in hollywood studios or MK, but they really are going too far.

Were going to tell them exactly why on the phone too (nicely of course) in hopes that it gets passed along to the idiots higher up.
FANTASTIC. Glad you are telling them, too. I would love to hear the reaction...please post it.

But what can we really do?
Write. Tweet. Post. Email. Call. Visit GR. It ALL adds up.

Ugh....Whata BS excuse. The Divine people will be nice, but they will NOT make up for a huge visual centerpiece for the event. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Post #213 on the Disney Parks blog--an apologist comes out of the woodwork. It's the first non-negative post.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-blog-weekly-recap-3/comment-page-5/#comments
:ROFLOL:

DisneyLeo18

ice-castle-300-jpeg.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom