Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

WDW1974

I posted over there, and they approved it. Waiting to see if there is any more response.

I'll be the first to admit it. I don't really give a rip about LoW, personally.
But I am not a Christmas person. They're pretty. I won't be there this year, etc.

However, I am concerned about this precisely because of what they said on MiceAge, about cutting by degrees.

Next time, it could be something that I care about. So it is worth raising a stink over.

LoW is exactly the sort of "extra magic" that Disney does that no other place does. So, yeah, this is important. I also agree that this is a great test to see how Disney deals with this brave new world of social networking. Do they think that 200 posts is significant? Well, there were less than 200 for their tilt-shift video, and they went WOW about that.
So, we'll see.

Exactly.

Fans should see the big picture and not just when its something they like. They should see the entire scope of what Disney is doing and why and realize that, sooner or later, it will affect many things they enjoy.

I can't eat shrimp, so when Disney removed them from the offerings at 'Ohana a few years ago to save money I could have looked at it as a good thing. ... but it wasn't (they did bring them back when last I heard) because it's part of a business model where cutting costs at all costs and making Wall Street happy at the expense of guests, fans and cast.

That isn't good whether you enjoy the LoW or not.

WDW1974

Oh, and by the way....

Walt Disney shares rose in after-hours trading Thursday after the company reported earnings and revenue that beat analysts' expectations.

The entertainment giant said it earned 46 cents a share excluding one-time items in its fiscal fourth quarter, compared with 43 cents a share this time last year.

Sales for the most recent quarter reached $9.87 billion, up from $9.445 billion in the same period last year.

Big deal. They also were aided by having an extra week in this year's fourth qtr as opposed to 2008.

They aren't firing on all cylinders financially as well as creatively right now.

Exprcoofto

Quoted for truth.

It's been happening for over a decade now.

And while all the resorts have their issues, none have seen the declining by degrees (Kevin Yee's term) that WDW has.

They've all lost things, but they've also ADDED ... in many cases substantial better things.

WDW just keeps chugging on, living off a reputation from say 1971-1996, charging more and giving less.

It's a sad realization when fans get that into their skulls, but it's better than living in perpetual pixie dust.

I've gotten it through my skull in the past few days and quite honestly, it makes me depressed. Now that I've come to my senses (sort of) what good does it do for me? I'm not seeing things as pixie dust covered, as they are obviously not. But does this do me any good? We can't change it, so it's just going to continue.

jt04

Big deal. They also were aided by having an extra week in this year's fourth qtr as opposed to 2008.

They aren't firing on all cylinders financially as well as creatively right now.

They improved profits while unemployment went through the roof. Yes, it's a very big deal. And you should especiaaly be aware of that since you were calling for the price to drop under $10 less than a year ago.

Remember? :shrug:

WDW Vacationer

Tyler from MA on November 12th, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
Very dissapointed by this loss. Do you guys realize how many people this is the last straw for? If not I do-MANY! Im not one to complain as I know Disney is a business,but this is just bad. Confirming it on Twitter does not help. Press release please?
What’s that sour taste? Oh,the Lights of Winter were retired because they are “obselete”.

My second comment is awiating moderation.^
Not approved!:eek:

grumpytodd

I've gotten it through my skull in the past few days and quite honestly, it makes me depressed. Now that I've come to my senses (sort of) what good does it do for me? I'm not seeing things as pixie dust covered, as they are obviously not. But does this do me any good? We can't change it, so it's just going to continue.

Sorry, but that's a tough statement to swallow. It's an uphill battle, but we have to try. People en-mass can affect change. Too many people feel hopeless and don't bother. The time has come!

aladdin2007

I hate to say this and I know it sounds extreme, but we just decided to cancel our two candlelight packages. Yes the show is still fantastic and all but for the prices they charge and yet taking nice things away in the park, lights of winter, we can use all that money much better elsewhere.

The news is just depressing enough I have no desire to spend time at Epcot during the next couple of months. By the way lights of winter was never a big deal for us per say, but it was super nice and its the principle of the matter. Im sure we will spend some time in hollywood studios or MK, but they really are going too far.

Were going to tell them exactly why on the phone too (nicely of course) in hopes that it gets passed along to the idiots higher up.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

How bout instead of complaining we we flood the news channels and the disney corporations with Emails and letters and phone calls if we know the right person to call. I am emailing all the east coast news channels right now, doubt it will work just me alone. We all need to chip in so disney gets ambushed with letters and emails. not saying no one is but to the ones who arrant stop complaining. Why do you thing Figment is back, letters were written.

aladdin2007

How bout instead of complaining we we flood the news channels and the disney corporations with Emails and letters and phone calls if we know the right person to call. I am emailing all the east coast news channels right now, doubt it will work just me alone. We all need to chip in so disney gets ambushed with letters and emails. not saying no one is but to the ones who arrant stop complaining DAMMIT. Why do you thing Figment is back, letters were written.

No need to shout bad language here! But very true about Figment even though they did as little as they had to. But it was a step up.

Duckberg

Voting with your WALLET!

I hate to say this and I know it sounds extreme, but we just decided to cancel our two candlelight packages. Yes the show is still fantastic and all but for the prices they charge and yet taking nice things away in the park, lights of winter, we can use all that money much better elsewhere.

The news is just depressing enough I have no desire to spend time at Epcot during the next couple of months. By the way lights of winter was never a big deal for us per say, but it was super nice and its the principle of the matter. Im sure we will spend some time in hollywood studios or MK, but they really are going too far.

Were going to tell them exactly why on the phone too (nicely of course) in hopes that it gets passed along to the idiots higher up.

Charging MORE & giving LESS @ WDW is NOT a smart move IMO! I get it the Osbourne Family Lights is a paid for deal acceptable to WDW, BUT Lights of Winter is cutting into the WDW bottom line $$$! Duckberg :mad:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
How bout instead of complaining we we flood the news channels and the disney corporations with Emails and letters and phone calls if we know the right person to call. I am emailing all the east coast news channels right now, doubt it will work just me alone. We all need to chip in so disney gets ambushed with letters and emails. not saying no one is but to the ones who arrant stop complaining DAMMIT. Why do you thing Figment is back, letters were written.

The TDO folks, yes we should email and letter bomb away. Unfortunately thought, the news folks will have other stories to focus on. Perhaps one could produce an in-depth story on the decline of WDW overall, but let's face it, with Disney owning ABC and being a major media player, there's not a lot of reporters out there willing to risk their neck over this. Most the pity.....:(

THEMEPARKPIONEER

No need to shout bad language here! But very true about Figment even though they did as little as they had to. But it was a step up.

Please excuse my bad language humor :lol: :lookaroun. Maybe they will just put them up as standard christmas lights without any performance. Thats the least they can do. I am mad because I never got to see them and I am a huge Epcot fan.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Screamscape just posted this about LOW:

Park News - (11/12/09) Disney fans may be very interested in knowing that Disney has cut the large Lights of Winter displays in Epcot that ran down the long pathway from Future World to World Showcase. The funny thing is that I had heard they had almost cut them last year, but didn’t at the last second, but looks like they went for it this year. Even worse however than the unexpected cut has been Disney’s official explanation for it was to blame the retirement on it using “obsolete technology”. Umm… it’s a Christmas light display… you don’t get much more old school than that… plus what do they call that massive Osborne display over at the Studios? Something smells fishy to me… and after nearly dropping them last year, they’ve had a year now to fix and upgrade any “obsolete technology” problems that may have come up. Come on… it’s the Christmas season Disney. You can’t put up the big lights in Epcot anymore? Really!?
I’m betting if they allowed it, a ton of guests would show up with their own Christmas light displays and have something new built up in the park in only a couple of days.

raven

Didn't know if someone posted this or not but this is from the Hub. If someone has, just ignore this post. :wave:

"We update our holiday events and décor annually to offer new experiences to our Guests.
As a result, Lights of Winter, the illuminated canopy along Showcase Plaza at Epcot®, will no longer be displayed during Holidays Around The World.
In addition to the numerous experiences offered during this year’s Holidays Around The World event, we are pleased to debut a lively new gospel choir, “D’Vine Voices.” The group will perform daily Nov. 27 through Dec. 26 on the Future World Fountain Stage.
Holidays Around The World will continue to feature the nightly Candlelight Processional at America Gardens Theatre, holiday storytellers throughout World Showcase and a special holiday fireworks salute each night following IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth.
Guests also may enjoy many other entertainment offerings throughout the park, including the Dickens Carolers at The American Adventure."

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It doesn't hurt to let the news outlets know what is going on down in florida. I have sent CNN a few e-mails with story ideas pertaining to WDW and this travesty.

I feel a sense of pride from the united front that we are presenting right now. It's nice to have a voice, now lets see if we can shout a little louder and get it heard.

aladdin2007

Please excuse my bad language humor :lol: :lookaroun. Maybe they will just put them up as standard christmas lights without any performance. Thats the least they can do. I am mad because I never got to see them and I am a huge Epcot fan.

No problem, :wave: its all for the love of Epcot I know. Same here as an Epcot lover. I thought SE was the top of the cake for me, but now this just makes me even more mad.

TalkingHead

Didn't know if someone posted this or not but this is from the Hub. If someone has, just ignore this post. :wave:

"We update our holiday events and décor annually to offer new experiences to our Guests.
As a result, Lights of Winter, the illuminated canopy along Showcase Plaza at Epcot®, will no longer be displayed during Holidays Around The World.
In addition to the numerous experiences offered during this year’s Holidays Around The World event, we are pleased to debut a lively new gospel choir, “D’Vine Voices.” The group will perform daily Nov. 27 through Dec. 26 on the Future World Fountain Stage.
Holidays Around The World will continue to feature the nightly Candlelight Processional at America Gardens Theatre, holiday storytellers throughout World Showcase and a special holiday fireworks salute each night following IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth.
Guests also may enjoy many other entertainment offerings throughout the park, including the Dickens Carolers at The American Adventure."

Did they cancel LoW in order to update the park's offerings, or because the technology was outdated?

Seems slightly contradictory to me.

But I do appreciate that Disney spins the removal of LoW as an "update". In that case can Disney "update" the BAH at MGM?

dxwwf3

I can say one thing. I bet Disney never expected so many people to be so angry over this decision. Personally, I'm glad that so many people are "fired up" over this. Maybe something as small as this will cause a mindset change. I think most of us fans are sick and tired of being treated like second class citizens by the same company that benefits so greatly for our enthusiam.

We hadn't planned to go to WDW this holiday season, but if by some chance our college team makes it to the Outback or Capital One Bowl this year, I will not go to Disney. I'll go and stay at Universal before I'll go to Disney this trip. Was the LoW the single most important thing about a Holiday Disney vacation? Nope. But it is kind of the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of people.

CDavid

But what can we really do?

We can voice our displeasure to Walt Disney World - and I certainly hope that everyone does. If the Lights of Winter matter to you, or even if they don't but the next thing Disney cuts might, then let somebody at Disney know about it. Post online comments and stop by guest relations in the parks, but also send snail mail letters to the powers that be.

It may not make a bit of difference, but if it doesn't, if Disney receives even just a few thousand complaints (many more people are always upset than ever say anything) but utterly ignores them, then Disney's problems run deeper than anyone feared. Disney makes guest-unfriendly cutbacks all the time, but the manner in which they have handled this debacle is a new low. They need to hear that. Even if the lights are lost, perhaps it will make a difference the next time Disney makes a similarly dumb decision - and expects its guests not to notice, its executives not to care.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom