Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

CDavid

"Yes…the Lights of Winter canopy has been enjoyed for years. But the technology to operate the lights is obsolete, prompting us to retire the lights and find a new experience".

Okay, so what is the new experience?

If they had a new experience - seriously, if they even had a clue - they would announce the new experience. Why would they want all this negative publicity if they had something new to brag about?

Lets see.... the lights were taken down a year ago but the announcement was made that they are obsolete a few weeks before going up. So Disney wants me to believe that they happen to plan everything that happens in the Holiday Season the month before. So noone last year when the lights were taken down knew that this could be an issue this year? Like Kevin Yee has been pointing out....DECLINE!!!!!

Very sad times at Disney World. Maybe for the annual visitor they dont notice but for the ones who have been visiting for many years, many times a year you definitely can tell the changes.

TIME FOR SOME CHANGES IN MANAGEMENT!!

Mr.EPCOT

Now that it's come under some scrutiny, it's amazing the sheer amount of stuff that everyone's realizing has been cut. It's easy to think of things like the Night Before Christmas show and the tree-lighting ceremony, of course, but now things like the Santa hat on the Earful Tower and the red and green lights on the Contemporary come to mind. And (please tell me if I'm remembering this right), but didn't they keep the Lights of Winter up through January with different music up until several years ago?

Now they're just rubbing it in, I loaded the last page of comments, and what do you know, the header is a picture of Disneylands 'it's a small world' with their amazing Christmas lights and fireworks going off behind it! :(

Someone in the comments brought up a great point that on top of all of the cuts, they haven't even bothered trying the real crowd-pleasers like Haunted Mansion Holiday and 'it's a small world' holiday.

TinkIce

Buttons are a little cheaper at Zazzle so I posted them there also.
416177286v3_350x350_Front.jpg

http://www.zazzle.com/bring_back_the_lights_of_winter_button-145550569453382085

Mind if I turn this into a Facebook flair? (if it hasn't been done already)

DecWDW

I feel sick! No Lights of Winter, no Twas the Night Before Christmas. I don't like gospel or Stitch!
Oh, I just saw the post about the buttons! We usually have a new button each year that we go. This will be the one for this year!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

So what if the technology is to obsolete, They could just light them without a perfoemance. I can see what they do mean by obsolete because the FON got new lights and the might of LOW worked with the old system and was probably programed on the old system. Now it just said retiring the lights and that they wouldn't be performing, It never said anything about not setting up the canopies and lighting them up, simply just said they will not be performing, and that they are retiring the lights. How do we know they arrant putting up the canopies and lighting them motionless. Thats my perception on it but I am one person out of all the posters who are convinced that everything to do with them is done so I am most likely wrong. First Dreamfinder and Horizons, Royal Di tempo, Wonders of life now The lights of winter, I am afraid what will be taken away from us all next.

You may be on to something there with the lights but I am pretty sure they are running off the same system because the light choreography looks the same from when I was organizing an old 1998 video. When the refurbishment was on the lights were removed but that could just be the lights.

grumpytodd

Sitting here at work, listening to the Illuminations pre-show music with a huge pit in my stomach. TDO is destroying the park I love, piece by piece. It's time to wake someone up! Letters, emails, telephone calls, tweets, postings on other websites and blogs, letters to the editor. Something has to change. I'm so mad at TDO, I'm not even thinking about a "next trip." Arrggghhhhhhh.

JMagicFink

tech???

The American Adventure still uses the same tech it did when it was originally built. Take the backstage magic tour and you'll see that they still print out all of the show read outs on a dot matrix printer. However, the Lights of Winter is just solid state relays and dimmers that are run by computer. There are houses all over the nation with dancing lights! Just look at youtube or all the other christmas lights websites out there with videos of dancing displays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1HmcvXFgaY

Even other amusement parks are doing it (Cedar Point's Lights).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdJuCS64EmI

It's very simple to build and run, and doesn't cost very much either. Epcot already has the lights, and the tech is just the relay boxes and a computer, which they could just replace with new tech if it stopped working for very cheap. Lights of Winter is actually one of the smaller dancing lights displays I've seen on youtube lately, so what's this obselete tech problem?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
"Yes…the Lights of Winter canopy has been enjoyed for years. But the technology to operate the lights is obsolete, prompting us to retire the lights and find a new experience".

Okay, so what is the new experience?

There is none. Disney would just rather have people out on the blogosphere use their time and efforts in discussing new possible replacements for LOW rather than focus their ire on the decision to cancel them.

Figment82

Now that it's come under some scrutiny, it's amazing the sheer amount of stuff that everyone's realizing has been cut. It's easy to think of things like the Night Before Christmas show and the tree-lighting ceremony, of course, but now things like the Santa hat on the Earful Tower and the red and green lights on the Contemporary come to mind. And (please tell me if I'm remembering this right), but didn't they keep the Lights of Winter up through January with different music up until several years ago?

Now they're just rubbing it in, I loaded the last page of comments, and what do you know, the header is a picture of Disneylands 'it's a small world' with their amazing Christmas lights and fireworks going off behind it! :(

Someone in the comments brought up a great point that on top of all of the cuts, they haven't even bothered trying the real crowd-pleasers like Haunted Mansion Holiday and 'it's a small world' holiday.

They played a post-Christmas loop on LoW up until
last year. I almost liked that show more - especially when the lights danced to Yanni's "Standing in Motion." It was a special treat to see a brand new show after Christmas. Just another example of Disney going above and beyond that has now disappeared.

I miss Earful's Santa hat a lot. Another sore subject...

THEMEPARKPIONEER

The American Adventure still uses the same tech it did when it was originally built. Take the backstage magic tour and you'll see that they still print out all of the show read outs on a dot matrix printer. However, the Lights of Winter is just solid state relays and dimmers that are run by computer. There are houses all over the nation with dancing lights! Just look at youtube or all the other christmas lights websites out there with videos of dancing displays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1HmcvXFgaY

Even other amusement parks are doing it (Cedar Point's Lights).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdJuCS64EmI

It's very simple to build and run, and doesn't cost very much either. Epcot already has the lights, and the tech is just the relay boxes and a computer, which they could just replace with new tech if it stopped working for very cheap. Lights of Winter is actually one of the smaller dancing lights displays I've seen on youtube lately, so what's this obselete tech problem?

They dont get it, The LOW just lit alone is good enough, Just plug the D*** lights in. They are not about us anymore. I can do a similar show with a Gemmi Box and I might do that to one of the trellises in our yard. There not as big and advanced but you get the point. I can see if they cant afford to put them up but they never said that.

Mr.EPCOT

last year. I almost liked that show more - especially when the lights danced to Yanni's "Standing in Motion." It was a special treat to see a brand new show after Christmas. Just another example of Disney going above and beyond that has now disappeared.

I thought so! I was expecting the Lights to stay up last year, and when they didn't I thought I was just going insane making things up in my head! They would leave them up for another month or so, right?

hpyhnt 1000

^Well there's a shocker about the blog. I'm actually suprised it lasted as long as it did.

Irrelevant anyway. Deleting the posts on there isn't going to stop people from making their views known.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I miss Earful's Santa hat a lot. Another sore subject...

I saw that on youtube. I thought the middle part was a bit slow. Im sorry nothing beats Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, and the Carol of the Bells.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom