Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

jt04

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. If the Lights of Winter are not being performed, it's due to money saving, and nothing else.

I was refering to the removal of the tree ceremony. I agree the LoW removal is probably to save money.

Mr.EPCOT

Honestly, I'd rather them get rid of the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights. It's cool, but it's really just a fun exercise in excess with a neat story behind it. They're nowhere near as inspiring as the Lights of Winter.

EPCOT Explorer

Ummm, some people ARE that sensitive. Trust me, I used to work in that field.
Seriously? That tiny minority? Same group of idiots that want us all to be bland monotone robots and censor valid opinions, customs, traditions, you name it.. I don't buy into that stuff.

A drop in the bucket compared to the people that DO like them, and WILL miss the LoW.:rolleyes:

What did you work in?:wave:

WDW Vacationer

^^^ And what of THIS year? Big loss for those heading up NOW.

:D

Now...Can we get this kind of attitude on the SM threads? :lol:

Agreed in full.

Perhaps they are waiting a bit longer, seeing it IS so easy? Plausible, no?
That's ridiculous. People are NOT that sensitive... and Disney knows it.

I don't celebrate Christmas, and that won't bother me. Nor anyone else.

And ironically, the tree was representative. Had quotes in different languages on it saying "Happy Holidays"

Doubt it, and they shouldn't. EPCOT IS about our differences.

Besides, this is all cost related, as it seems thus far. Thanks, TDO. I'm wondering about Mr. Crockrell's stance or roll in this...
Thanks You! That proves a GREAT point.:wave:

scpergj

Wow...if they don't put them up this year, I'll add my family to the disappointed people.

Can anyone tell me if they are still doing the stories around WS like they used to? We are planning a day trip to see that, and the Osbourne Lights...and the lights on Cinderella Castle.

EPCOT Explorer

Maybe they are adhering to TBT...:lookaroun

Thanks You! That proves a GREAT point.:wave:
Thank you!

Wow...if they don't put them up this year, I'll add my family to the disappointed people.

Can anyone tell me if they are still doing the stories around WS like they used to? We are planning a day trip to see that, and the Osbourne Lights...and the lights on Cinderella Castle.
I'm nervous for those now....PoE is still on, right?

jt04

Seriously? That tiny minority? Same group of idiots that want us all to be bland monotone robots and censor valid opinions, customs, traditions, you name it.. I don't buy into that stuff.

A drop in the bucket compared to the people that DO like them, and WILL miss the LoW.:rolleyes:

What did you work in?:wave:

A field that was directly related to dealing with different "sensitivities". I can't say more than that.

It doesn't matter whether you buy into it or not. It is a massive movement and yes, robots (passivity) is the goal. And I suspect they forced the removal of the tree lighting ceremony.

Now you know why I defend my own opinions so readily. Group think and going along to get along is dangerous.

Epcot needs a tree lighting ceremony added back......somewhere. The arches would be nice too. :xmas:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Maybe they are adhering to TBT...:lookaroun

Thank you!

I'm nervous for those now....PoE is still on, right?

PoE is still on, but may have cuts in the pyro, along with the regular RoE show.

I love pyro, as you know, but 5 mins of pyro doesn't replace a 4 hour light show. Especially when we have become used to having both.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Once again... epcot gets screweeeed... Oh.. but osborne festival of seizures can have all theirs :dazzle: :dazzle: :mad:

EPCOT Explorer

A field that was directly related to dealing with different "sensitivities". I can't say more than that.

It doesn't matter whether you buy into it or not. It is a massive movement and yes, robots (passivity) is the goal. And I suspect they forced the removal of the tree lighting ceremony.

Now you know why I defend my own opinions so readily. Group think and going along to get along is dangerous.

Epcot needs a tree lighting ceremony added back......somewhere. The arches would be nice too. :xmas:
Disgusting, to be honest with you. People seriously need to grow OUT of these petty thoughts....but that'll be social commentary that's going to get political...so....:lookaroun I'll shaddup.

However...These were Lights of WINTER. PC name. Good Meaning. Nice show. HOW could anyone complain about this?!

And you should understand why I defend mine, too.

EPCOT Explorer

PoE is still on, but may have cuts in the pyro, along with the regular RoE show.

I love pyro, as you know, but 5 mins of pyro doesn't replace a 4 hour light show. Especially when we have become used to having both.
:brick:

That's what makes the PoE tag so phenomenal...that EXTREME use of pyro. Is nothing sacred to these people? Show > Efficiency

By no means will PoE replace LoW...as you said we should be getting both.
Once again... epcot gets screweeeed... Oh.. but osborne festival of seizures can have all theirs :dazzle: :dazzle: :mad:
Exactly.:brick:

jt04

Disgusting, to be honest with you. People seriously need to grow OUT of these petty thoughts....but that'll be social commentary that's going to get political...so....:lookaroun I'll shaddup.

However...These were Lights of WINTER. PC name. Good Meaning. Nice show. HOW could anyone complain about this?!

And you should understand why I defend mine, too.

As I've said several times, the LoW removal is probably financial. The tree ceremony, probably not. I was much more disturbed by the Tree Lighting Ceremony removal than the possibility LoW will not return.

OK, that is the last I'll mention it today :wave:

Biff215

Wow, this would be a huge disappointment.

I hate to even say this, because it does seem small in the whole scheme of things, but it might actually make us rethink our December trip. We have the resort booked but have held out on the airfare until we make a final decision. We really want to take our 17 month old to enjoy all of the holiday offerings (she's already been down twice, so this would be mainly for the holiday-specific stuff). The LoW is one of those things I think she could have enjoyed for a rather long time. With the tree lighting ceremony already gone, this doesn't leave a whole lot to look forward to at Epcot (she may not make it for RoE).

I realize that I am in the minority and Disney certainly won't bring them back because I threaten to cancel my trip. I also don't want to sound like I'm pouting but we are fortunate to be DVC members and get down to WDW at least twice a year. Making a special trip down for the holidays (on a cash reservation this time) has to be justified. We will have a great time either way if we do go, it's just these kind of cost-cutting disappointments that make me want to hold onto my money.

Sorry for the rant!

EPCOT Explorer

^^^ Rant away, I was basing my trip around the Holiday Decor, too....and this was a HUGE plus.

As I've said several times, the LoW removal is probably financial. The tree ceremony, probably not. I was much more disturbed by the Tree Lighting Ceremony removal than the possibility LoW will not return.

Seeing that both are gone, now this is pretty pathetic for EPCOT.

The one park that Disney has that is almost tailored to make perfect use of cultural sensitivities and what do they do? Dumb it down.

Yeah, I'm mentioning it too much, too. :lol: I know it's nothing "real" to be worked up over, but it IS disappointing. This was a lovley venue that I was looking forward to and sharing with my group...They hadn't seen it before.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.

And cost should NOT be an excuse... Sylvania/Siemens is a top tier sponsor at Epcot. The cost of switching these out to LEDs would not be a problem at all!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Over 50 posts of diatribe on political correctness and finances of Disney based on arches not being in their previously used staging area in a parking lot?

:brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom