Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
^^^ there goes that theory! :lol: Sorry!

Think that they would bring back the tree lights, instead?

Well the Tree Lighting ceremony was never a highlight - but a lot of people liked it I am sure. It was one of the details that has been lost.

The Lights of Winter however are a massive draw. It is certainly one of the best things about Epcot during the holidays, and to think it's not going to be there is tragic for Epcot.

Mr.EPCOT

I'm pretty sure I saw the arches backstage when I drove down Woodpecker Lane a couple of weeks ago.

If they don't put them up this year, I will be very, very angry, and I don't get that way easily. :mad: :fork:

EPCOT Explorer

Well the Tree Lighting ceremony was never a highlight - but a lot of people liked it I am sure. It was one of the details that has been lost.

The Lights of Winter however are a massive draw. It is certainly one of the best things about Epcot during the holidays, and to think it's not going to be there is tragic for Epcot.
Saw the Tree Lighting in 06...Loved it, along with LoW.

Severely disappointed if this is true, it was one of the simple details and things I was looking forward to seeing on my Dec trip. These "cost cutting" measures are really getting out of hand, now that they are affecting an event that is pushed and marketed for this feature, and this type of unique display.

jt04

Actually I'm not suprised by this. I always thought the structure was probably difficult and expensive to set up and remove and that eventually Disney would question whether it was getting much for it's investment.

I think the tree lighting ceremony may have been a victim of the PC police.

All that said, I'm hoping Disney finds some extra way to acknowledge Christmas with a special ceremony or display. Such as a "Disney's A Christmas Carol" overlay for the UK. A nightly tree lighting ceremony might also be a perfect fit for the Germany pavilion.

If they are going to take something away that is so enjoyed they need to add something back. IMO.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm pretty sure I saw the arches backstage when I drove down Woodpecker Lane a couple of weeks ago.

If they don't put them up this year, I will be very, very angry, and I don't get that way easily. :mad: :fork:

So the question is, where they just in storage there - being disposed of, or getting ready to be put out.

I'm most concerned about hte fact they arent mentioned in any of the PR materials. It certainly looks as though there have been at least at some point, a plan not to do it. If they are going to appear, I think it's going to require a change of plan.

The whole power requirement and LED makes no sense whatsoever. There are plenty of shows that arent using LED, and that use far more power than the Lights of Winter could ever dream of.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Saw the Tree Lighting in 06...Loved it, along with LoW.

Severely disappointed if this is true, it was one of the simple details and things I was looking forward to seeing on my Dec trip. These "cost cutting" measures are really getting out of hand, now that they are affecting an event that is pushed and marketed for this feature, and this type of unique display.

I totally agree. If it doesnt go ahead I know that a heck of a lot of people will be VERY disappointed.

EPCOT Explorer

Actually I'm not suprised by this. I always thought the structure was probably difficult and expensive to set up and remove and that eventually Disney would question whether it was getting much for it's investment.

I think the tree lighting ceremony may have been a victim of the PC police.

All that said, I'm hoping Disney finds some extra way to acknowledge Christmas with a special ceremony or display. Such as a "Disney's A Christmas Carol" overlay for the UK. A nightly tree lighting ceremony might also be a perfect fit for the Germany pavilion.

If they are going to take something away that is so enjoyed they need to add something back. IMO
Agreed. Hopefully something newer, or at least the Tree.

BTW...PC police?:shrug: Why? It's a tree. Is it related to it's TL brethren? :lookaroun:lol:

I totally agree. If it doesnt go ahead I know that a heck of a lot of people will be VERY disappointed.
Thanks, Steve.:wave:

Add me to that disappointed list....

jt04

So the question is, where they just in storage there - being disposed of, or getting ready to be put out.

I'm most concerned about hte fact they arent mentioned in any of the PR materials. It certainly looks as though there have been at least at some point, a plan not to do it. If they are going to appear, I think it's going to require a change of plan.

The whole power requirement and LED makes no sense whatsoever. There are plenty of shows that arent using LED, and that use far more power than the Lights of Winter could ever dream of.

I really think it is the difficulty and expense of the set up and tear down that might have doomed it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I really think it is the difficulty and expense of the set up and tear down that might have doomed it.

Difficulty and expense don't apply to Disney. When you've been doing something like this for tens of years, it doesn't just suddenly become a problem.

If you can dream it, you can do it.

And isn't Disney about doing the things that most people find too difficult or expensive?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
And the Osborne Lights and the Castle Dreamlights are not? These might be the easier of the group!

Yep by far the Lights of Winter have to be the most straight forward to rig. They install them in a couple of nights. It takes weeks and months for other two. This is what makes it all the harder to comprehend if they don't go ahead.

jt04

Agreed. Hopefully something newer, or at least the Tree.

Because the location of the tree made it appear that it was representative of everyone in World Showcase. Savvy? :zipit:

Wheras a tree lighting ceremony in a specific country might be more acceptable.

I really think an annual "A Christmas Carol" overlay at the UK, with characters and a show could be a big hit.

Kinda like the PatF promotion/show but geared to the new movie and allowing it to be promoted every year. :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Because the location of the tree made it appear that it was representative of everyone in World Showcase. Savvy? :zipit:

I really think an annual "A Christmas Carol" overlay at the UK, with characters and a show could be a big hit.

Kinda like the PatF promotion/show but geared to the new movie and allowing it to be promoted every year. :)

That isn't going to happen. There arent any trees around WS that are large enough to do anything that would approach the spectacular of the Lights of Winter or the main Epcot tree.

jt04

That isn't going to happen. There arent any trees around WS that are large enough to do anything that would approach the spectacular of the Lights of Winter or the main Epcot tree.

As I was mentioning, they really need to add something special to make up for it. If they are slowly secularizing Epcot due to sensitivities, I'd have much less reason to visit, anytime of year. Christmas at Epcot has always been a highlight.

:xmas:

Mr.EPCOT

Luckily, I think this would be enough of a complaint generator that Disney would at least have to bring it back next year.

EPCOT Explorer

^^^ And what of THIS year? Big loss for those heading up NOW.

Difficulty and expense don't apply to Disney. When you've been doing something like this for tens of years, it doesn't just suddenly become a problem.

If you can dream it, you can do it.

And isn't Disney about doing the things that most people find too difficult or expensive?
:D

Now...Can we get this kind of attitude on the SM threads? :lol:

Agreed in full.

Yep by far the Lights of Winter have to be the most straight forward to rig. They install them in a couple of nights. It takes weeks and months for other two. This is what makes it all the harder to comprehend if they don't go ahead.
Perhaps they are waiting a bit longer, seeing it IS so easy? Plausible, no?

That's ridiculous. People are NOT that sensitive... and Disney knows it.

I don't celebrate Christmas, and that won't bother me. Nor anyone else.

And ironically, the tree was representative. Had quotes in different languages on it saying "Happy Holidays"

As I was mentioning, they really need to add something special to make up for it. If they are slowly secularizing Epcot due to sensitivities, I'd have much less reason to visit, anytime of year. Christmas at Epcot has always been a highlight.

Doubt it, and they shouldn't. EPCOT IS about our differences.

Besides, this is all cost related, as it seems thus far. Thanks, TDO. I'm wondering about Mr. Crockrell's stance or roll in this...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. If the Lights of Winter are not being performed, it's due to money saving, and nothing else.

jt04

:D

Now...Can we get this kind of attitude on the SM threads? :lol:

Agreed in full.

Perhaps they are waiting a bit longer, seeing it IS so easy? Plausible, no?
That's ridiculous. People are NOT that sensitive... and Disney knows it.

I don't celebrate Christmas, and that won't bother me. Nor anyone else.

And ironically, the tree was representative. Had quotes in different languages on it saying "Happy Holidays"

Doubt it, and they shouldn't. EPCOT IS about our differences.

Besides, this is all cost related, as it seems thus far. Thanks, TDO. I'm wondering about Mr. Crockrell's stance or roll in this...

Ummm, some people ARE that sensitive. Trust me, I used to work in that field.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom