Lights of Winter not being displayed this year (2009)!?!

ptaylor

Premium Member
Just posted this on the SM blog thread (apologies Steve for double posting), but isn't the release of the Space Mountain images good timing. Were the photos released to divert attention from the Lights of Winter complaints that are piling up on the official blog? At least we know that Thomas Smith is online since he created that Space Mountain blog - hopeully he will give an official answer soon on LoW. At the moment I guess we can assume that silence means the Lights of Winter are indeed gone.

MousDad

Were the photos released to divert attention from the Lights of Winter complaints that are piling up on the official blog? At least we know that Thomas Smith is online since he created that Space Mountain blog - hopeully he will give an official answer soon on LoW. At the moment I guess we can assume that silence means the Lights of Winter are indeed gone.

[Thomas Smith on the phone yesterday afternoon:]

"I need some #*(@&$* pictures of the inside of Space Mountain right #*(&(@*&# now!!!!!"

RiversideBunny

Wouldn't it be nice if the Orlando Sentinel did a story called 'The Missing Lights of Winter' and included comments from guests and from WDW managment?
It would help prevent WDW from sweeping this major Christmas change under the rug.
Publicity on it would be very helpful.

:xmas:

s8film40

I say we all flood the reservation center with phone calls, spend 15 minutes booking an elaborate vacation for the holidays and then ask the cast member to confirm the Lights of Winter will be there. Then when they can't ask them to cancel the reservation.:lol:

WDWFigment

Wouldn't it be nice if the Orlando Sentinel did a story called 'The Missing Lights of Winter' and included comments from guests and from WDW managment?
It would help prevent WDW from sweeping this major Christmas change under the rug.
Publicity on it would be very helpful.

:xmas:

I emailed Jason Garcia (theme park dude from the Sentinel) about it.

TinkIce

So they really are gone then? Yeah, I thought so. :cry:

The Lights of Winter were one of my favorite things about visiting WDW at Christmas time. My family made a tradition of standing under the arches and taking a family portrait; it was as important to us as getting that picture in front of Cindy's Castle at the start of every trip. And I LOVED riding the Epcot monorail at night just so I could get to ride through the lit arches. My youngest siblings are going to be very upset about it; my mom is already upset about it. I guess we'll just have to find some other way of enjoying ourselves this year...

At least I have a video of the arches getting lit up to remember them by :)

dweezil78

Seriously.

53 posts, all of which are decrying the loss of LoW, and not a single response? Shame.

As someone who has been in similar social media roles for nearly a decade (in the entertainment industry no less), I will tell you that these social media reps are in a VERY tough position. More often than not they're on the side of the diehard fans which is why they have the job in the first place. But at the same time they also represent said company/artist/whatever and it takes quite a while in order to get an answer or to get permission to publicize the answer. Especially I'm sure with a company like Disney that has more cooks in the kitchen than one can keep count of.

And if it's not the answer the fans want, it totally sucks to be them because they're in the line of fire and even if they don't agree with the company line, they have find a way to defend it AND try not to further ________ off the fans because guess who pays the bills... So be easy on those folks!!!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Mag-effing-nificent. First the Night Before Christmas show and now this. Well, I too won't stop visiting WDW, but I can guarantee that my trips during the holiday season will definitely be curtailed. No more MVMCP, Christmas pins, or other associated holiday merchandise to be purchased. I'm a little exhausted in WDW's belief that I won't notice or care about the cutbacks if they're done incrementally.....

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
So be easy on those folks!!!

I didn't mean to imply that I held Thomas personally responsible for his lack of reply. I have some exposure to PR at work. ;)

I meant Shame on the company, really. When you see that many replies from upset customers pile up so quickly, it looks bad.

s8film40

While you can't place blame on these people, they like the Guest Relations people at Epcot who will likely get yelled at all through the holidays this year took a position that requires they hear the comments of guests it's their responsibility to pass that information up the chain. Does this mean you blame them no, but yes I think you should scrutinize any response they may have to explain why the lights aren't there.

dweezil78

I didn't mean to imply that I held Thomas personally responsible for his lack of reply. I have some exposure to PR at work. ;)

I meant Shame on the company, really. When you see that many replies from upset customers pile up so quickly, it looks bad.

No, totally... They definitely take too long to reply (if they do at all). But I'd also guess that Thomas is continually hitting his send/receive email button constantly waiting for an answer to come in too and is just as frustrated as everyone here. My guess is they're all still trying to figure out who even makes the decision as to whether or not those lights go up, haha! You'd be amazed at how dysfunctional all these companies are internally and how no one knows what anyone does. It's mind boggling that anything ever gets done in the corporate world!

EPCOT Explorer

There are many things that Disney has cut over the past years:

Country Bear Christmas

Complimentary photo/button at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

Annual Passholder Days at the Osborne Lights

Candelight Processional Dinner Package extras like a pin/lanyard and shopping discounts

Wilderness Lodge train display (my favorite of the resort displays).

Green and red lights on the Contemporary.

Now the Lights of Winter are going.

Disney HAS added as well - like the Christmas Castle Lighting, and more lights to the Osborne's.
Definitely not equal...and they know it. For stuff like this, they should just ADD. :rolleyes:
It's official. The Lights of Winter will not be pefromed this year, nor are there current plans to present them at any time in the future. Instead, a new group will be debuting at Epcot: “D’Vine Voices,” which is a Gospel choir. The group will perform from Nov. 27 through Dec. 26 on the Fountain of Nations Stage.
:mad::cry:

A shame....They REALLY are milking us dry.
[Thomas Smith on the phone yesterday afternoon:]

"I need some #*(@&$* pictures of the inside of Space Mountain right #*(&(@*&# now!!!!!"
What stinks, is that SM isn't as great as it should be either.
We could always start posting on the SM blog post...

"Nice pictures... Now, about Lights of winter..."
Dooooo it. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom