Lights of Winter arches still behind Epcot

gbruenin

The Lights of Winter are very simple. Just a steel frame with lights attached. Wouldn't be hard to replace the old light fixtures with something new. Give me a plane ticket to Orlando, a box of bulbs, and a week, and I'll get it done ;)

I'll help.

Gary

Vernonpush

I'll help.

Gary

I'll help too!

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B7NPzcw7Zzs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B7NPzcw7Zzs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
Something I threw together 2 years ago.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The Lights of Winter are very simple. Just a steel frame with lights attached. Wouldn't be hard to replace the old light fixtures with something new. Give me a plane ticket to Orlando, a box of bulbs, and a week, and I'll get it done ;)

I'll help...together we could do it in two and a half days!

As far as the bulbs not being available...then they haven't looked in the right places.

PhotoDave219

Stay two weeks and you can fix all the bugs with ROE. ;)

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.

I would gladly chip in for your plane ticket. Hell...I'll come down and help out. One of my many talents is the ability to change a light bulb.

mickeysaver

I wonder what Disney would do if any angry mob of fans showed up wielding boxes of light bulbs. :lol:

IDK, but I certainly expressed my displeasure about the lack of festive environment at Epcot last year. I am hoping that they get their act together. In 2012 we will most likely go back at the holidays, so the clock is ticking and they better come up with something good. If not, I will bring a box of light bulbs to the park and make it known that if I am willing to provide the stinkin' bulbs, they had better put on a show! :mad:

Did that sound grumpy enough? :lol:

dreamfinder

I wonder what Disney would do if any angry mob of fans showed up wielding boxes of light bulbs. :lol:

Someone should find out what type of bulbs they use. And then track em down. So we can all ship a few to Disney just so they have enough on hand to light em back up again.

marcriss

Let's hope that a lot of complaints regarding the lack of LoW made it to Guest Relations during the last holiday season. That would be a nice start.

I got a call from someone regarding a letter I had written about my December trip. The woman assured me that they had heard from A LOT of people over the LOW. She didn't tell me they'd be back this year but she said "they were working to address the issue."

She went over every issue that we brought up in our letter, it was actually taken seriously. I was surprised, it makes me hopeful that they're ready to make some changes to the way they do things.

gsimpson

Incandescent are actually becoming illegal

The people who say the light bulbs are obsolete are actually correct only because our government, they wish to have incandescent lamps replaced with more costly mercury fill CFLs by 2014.

Here is a link to the law in question: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi...=110_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ140.110.pdf

So you could really make the argument that Disney was probably right not to invest money refurbing something that only had a couple years of life left on it based on Washington's priorities.

Monorail Lime

The people who say the light bulbs are obsolete are actually correct only because our government, they wish to have incandescent lamps replaced with more costly mercury fill CFLs by 2014.

Here is a link to the law in question: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi...=110_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ140.110.pdf

So you could really make the argument that Disney was probably right not to invest money refurbing something that only had a couple years of life left on it based on Washington's priorities.
Interesting theory, except that Christmas lights are not covered by this law. Per section 321, the energy standards are for general service incandescent lamps defined as medium screw-base bulbs between 310 and 2600 lumens. Furthermore, colored bulbs are specifically exempt.

Even if this law were applicable, it only regulates to the SALE of bulbs and not the use of them. Disney could stockpile incandescent Christmas lights before the law takes effect and continue using them for decades to come if the need were there.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
People were pretty upset about LoW. I'd hate to think managment took no notice of this.

I LOVE the idea of everyone showing up with boxes of their old Christmas lights.

gbruenin

I guess the question becomes 'How many upset LoW fans does it take to change the lightbulbs?'

Bulbs, LEDs or whatever are used, I'm sure the same folks who updated MainSt Electrical Parade with the new LED controllers and the folks who just finished programming World Of Color are all looking for their next paycheck. I know what my vote would be. Otherwise, I'll avoid booking a trip again this year at the holidays.

Gary

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom