Lights of Winter arches still behind Epcot

gsimpson

Partially agree.

Interesting theory, except that Christmas lights are not covered by this law. Per section 321, the energy standards are for general service incandescent lamps defined as medium screw-base bulbs between 310 and 2600 lumens. Furthermore, colored bulbs are specifically exempt.

Even if this law were applicable, it only regulates to the SALE of bulbs and not the use of them. Disney could stockpile incandescent Christmas lights before the law takes effect and continue using them for decades to come if the need were there.

The white "globe" lights that were the largest number of the bulbs in the display are actually covered, they are general purpose lights used more typically as vanity lights and similar applications. It would probably surprise many on this thread how high wattage this display actually is, it is not the small many lights that you see in home displays, they do not have c7 bulbs or mini-lights at all. Most of the colored bulbs are not covered, yet, but they are not Christmas lights as some have suggested, they are higher wattage display lights. Basically any lamp that had a 'suitable cfl replacement' at the time the badly thought out law was created are covered. Of course cfl lamps are a nightmare to try to dim, their color temperature is horribly inconsistent, and they are environmentally the worst thing you can do. Needless to say I do agree with you that Disney could stockpile a warehouse full of them and support it for several years out, although contrary to popular belief lamps do actually have a shelf life and will "go bad" after years even if they are not used. This is a battle we are fighting every day in architectural lighting and it is costing our customers a boat load. It is sad that no one ever points out the unintended consequences of feel good legislation.

PalisadesPkteer

OK so I will be brave enough to bump this thread.

Are the Lights of Winter still in shrink wrap in their normal location STILL!

For WDWExplorer, Lee, Martin or anywone else who has info. Are they going to at least give us a display with new tech even if it is not the old arches?

PalisadesPkteer

Disney is going to let them sit and rot away aren't they.

Had hoped they would get new LED bulbs and be displayed again.

Anyone know if they will at least put up the "Garden of Peace"?

Can EPCOT at least get a new LoW display like I believe it was HKDL got?

mickeysaver

This still makes me incredibly sad. Epcot was so blah and devoid of holiday spirit last year in comparison to what I had experienced in the past. If they don't save the LoW, they dang sure better be working on something better than that poor excuse for a Target Blue Christmas Tree display with the choral group that totally ripped off the music from Sister Act 2.

UGH! :fork::fork::fork:

PalisadesPkteer

The words "DISMAL" and "DREARY" come to mind from what I experienced at EPCOT on my December 1 - 7 2009 trip.

From what has been said on here there were many complaints and supposedly EPCOT management will address the issue for 2010.

At least put the Garden of Peace back. That area with some fake presents and (although nice) flowers was no where near as good.

Then if you will at least tell us we will get some nice replacement that was used in an other of their parks world wide, that would be something at least.

And make the storytellers areas better while you're at it.

hpyhnt 1000

This still makes me incredibly sad. Epcot was so blah and devoid of holiday spirit last year in comparison to what I had experienced in the past. If they don't save the LoW, they dang sure better be working on something better than that poor excuse for a Target Blue Christmas Tree display with the choral group that totally ripped off the music from Sister Act 2.

UGH! :fork::fork::fork:

No kidding...

Everything about last year's holiday season at Epcot was lousy. No real thought or execution was put into anything; just bad (lack of) work every way you look at it. We'll see what they come up with this year... while I'm not expecting Lights of Winter, it better be something at least on that scale.

harryk

Epcot can't tell us they don't have the means and way to restore the LOW.
With all the engineering talent available to WDW they can do it if they want to.
The Peace garden was very beautiful and should be displayed again and they should bring back a tree lighting ceremony of some sort - even a tacky one would be nice.:xmas::xmas:

toolsnspools

With the tech they put into WoC, you'd think they'd be prepped to really wow us with something this year. I like the LoW, but during the day, the huge metal structure was a bit of an eye sore. You can even see them on Bing maps. I'd prefer they did something else along the same theme, but did it in a way that is far less visible during the day. It would be nice if it didn't block most of view of the Christmas tree too.

:xmas:

20009551sc

Here we go again! Bring back the lights please and give Epcot some sparkle at Christmas. As for fixing the obsolete technology....just wait 4 months. Walmart and Target set Christmas earlier each year. The imagineers can run to one of those stores and buy new lights!

PalisadesPkteer

Even stringing light sets from Target and Walmart would be and improvement from last year.

Lee, Martin, Raven etc. do you REALLY think Disney heard us and will address this issue?

Or is it an other year of Flower / present area instead of Garden of Peace, poor performance of Christmas tree instead of tree lighting ceremony with working tree and empty space instead of Lights of Winter?

Lets not forget the non-existance of Christmas decorations instead of Well done story tellers areas and holiday cheer and festive decorations.

For heavens sake, give us the displays they used in other Disney parks around the world last year at least. I believe 1 was called Lights of Winter also and used in Hong Kong?

PalisadesPkteer

Maybe we should all chip in and fix the Lights of Winter for them.

I'm willing to fork over some cash if they display them again. If what they said is true and they can't be repaired because of being obsolete then let us chip in and get one of the new displays they had at their other parks last year.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think you'd be looking at the executives at Team Disney Orlando in this case. Iger wouldn't involve himself in the day to day management decisions of the parks.

Oh... but he could definitely influence those decisions. Send those letters.

Robert A. Iger
President and CEO of the Walt Disney Company
500 S. Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521

robert.a.iger@disney.com

SoccerMickey

At the flower and garden D23 event a really good looking guy asked Dan Cockerell (the current VP of Epcot, and another extremely good looking guy) if the Lights of Winter were going to return this holiday season.
He responded with a typical Disney manager-esque canned response about how he was waiting for that question and that he can't say yes and that he cant say no but that they are looking at different options for the holiday decorations package for epcot this year. He also said that they were all very surprised by the volume of guest reactions to the lack of the Lights of Winter last year. If that makes a difference or
or not still remains to be unseen but of people still want to see the lights im some form need to keep their voices heard!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom