Lights, Motors, Action Extreme Stunt Show to permanently close in April 2016

J. D.

Not that I know anything of the situation, but I have a possible theory on why (if true) the firings occurred.
Disney, as with many other companies, follows a rigorous safety protocol. The stage is a closed set with hazardous energy (moving cars, fire) and is heavily regulated and monitored for safety. Any breach of safety protocol (cars bumping, grandstand gate opening during show, etc) causes an e-stop of the show and reset. LMA sounds a horn, the music cuts, and the cars reset. Depending on the severity of the breach, it may classify as an OSHA recordable or lost time incident. There are probably levels of PPE required for accessing certain areas. Regardless of how safe an area may look or how much people just want to have fun, it is no excuse for breaching safety protocol.
Things that may have been of issue jumping in the water:
-Are there PPE requirements, like life vests, required to access the water?
-Was the water pit properly locked out and tagged out to ensure the piping, gas, ignition point, and other equipment were deemed safe?
-Even in a properly locked out state, is the water pit accessible to people while filled with water?

Likely this was just a purely safety related issue.
Exactly. Disney's number one priority in the parks is safety (or so they say).

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Disney doesn't play games with their CMs when it comes to their Safety guidelines. It may come from covering their ***, but even so, at least it makes them care.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Trust me, as a former CP I've seen management make some poor judgement calls, placing efficiency above safety many times.

Next Big Thing

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
Trust me, as a former CP I've seen management make some poor judgement calls, placing efficiency above safety many times.
I'm a former CP as well. Must've had vastly different management types as they always stressed safety to the utmost importance and made calls as such while on the clock.

Of course I don't know how attractions management tends to run or any other department besides Custodial. One of the easiest and most fun (not joking) jobs i've ever had.

jt04

Not that I know anything of the situation, but I have a possible theory on why (if true) the firings occurred.
Disney, as with many other companies, follows a rigorous safety protocol. The stage is a closed set with hazardous energy (moving cars, fire) and is heavily regulated and monitored for safety. Any breach of safety protocol (cars bumping, grandstand gate opening during show, etc) causes an e-stop of the show and reset. LMA sounds a horn, the music cuts, and the cars reset. Depending on the severity of the breach, it may classify as an OSHA recordable or lost time incident. There are probably levels of PPE required for accessing certain areas. Regardless of how safe an area may look or how much people just want to have fun, it is no excuse for breaching safety protocol.
Things that may have been of issue jumping in the water:
-Are there PPE requirements, like life vests, required to access the water?
-Was the water pit properly locked out and tagged out to ensure the piping, gas, ignition point, and other equipment were deemed safe?
-Even in a properly locked out state, is the water pit accessible to people while filled with water?

Likely this was just a purely safety related issue.

I was thinking all this while watching the video. Then at least 1 minor jumped in the pit. Getting fired was the least of what could have happened.

celluloid

I'm a former CP as well. Must've had vastly different management types as they always stressed safety to the utmost importance and made calls as such while on the clock.

Of course I don't know how attractions management tends to run or any other department besides Custodial. One of the easiest and most fun (not joking) jobs i've ever had.

Agreed. Things were tense but I never saw a leader put safety second to anything. (CP Custodial here as well)
Also agreed on your second point. I wonder how close our CPs were. Mine was in 2011.

Next Big Thing

Agreed. Things were tense but I never saw a leader put safety second to anything. (CP Custodial here as well)
Also agreed on your second point. I wonder how close our CPs were. Mine was in 2011.
I was last Spring (Advantage). Worst part of my CP experience was the sense that we all lived in a prison. The guards were great at being pricks. I lived at Patterson.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.

Entertainment wasn't so bad, aside from sending Beast onstage without an Attendant on a pretty regular basis. It is surprising, though, that Disney has only one Attendant for a restaurant full of characters sometimes. Universal usually has it on a 1:1 basis.

Attractions was more of a concern for guests. I can't believe they keep running the PeopleMover with it in the shape it is. It's not at all uncommon for cars to ram other vehicles, and I've seen it happen when little old ladies are trying to board the thing.

And, honestly, I readily believe that Custodial was a blast. That was my second most-wanted role when I applied. I've heard great things.

roj2323

I was last Spring (Advantage). Worst part of my CP experience was the sense that we all lived in a prison. The guards were great at being pricks. I lived at Patterson.

I called it the spring disadvantage program as you show up just in time for it to get hot and miserable out. The CP housing Security was not the best for sure. Thankfully you can now choose to live off property and avoid the hassles.

Next Big Thing

I called it the spring disadvantage program as you show up just in time for it to get hot and miserable out. The CP housing Security was not the best for sure. Thankfully you can now choose to live off property and avoid the hassles.
Yeah, you can live at Cumberland now. I honestly wouldn't want to stay off property even with that option. A great amount of the moments I remember most from my program were hanging around with roommates and friends.

The disadvantage of it imo was I had to do the program for 7 months and not screw up an inch while I watched hundreds and hundreds come and go before I left with their record in perfect shape while mine took a tad more of a beating as I was there for longer.

celluloid

That makes me feel old. I was Fall 2011. And yes, Mousecatraz. We all felt punished for those that were just there to party. I met the woman who would become my wife on my program and I lived at Vista, she lived in CS. We always worked late hours and were having to eat super late dinner/middle of the night breakfast as an excuse to hang out because we were past each other's curfew since we lived at different complexes.

Next Big Thing

That makes me feel old. I was Fall 2011. And yes, Mousecatraz. We all felt punished for those that were just there to party. I met the woman who would become my wife on my program and I lived at Vista, she lived in CS. We always worked late hours and were having to eat super late dinner/middle of the night breakfast as an excuse to hang out because we were past each other's curfew since we lived at different complexes.
Late night/Early Morning meals at IHOP were a staple of my program lol

rioriz

Yeah, you can live at Cumberland now. I honestly wouldn't want to stay off property even with that option. A great amount of the moments I remember most from my program were hanging around with roommates and friends.

The disadvantage of it imo was I had to do the program for 7 months and not screw up an inch while I watched hundreds and hundreds come and go before I left with their record in perfect shape while mine took a tad more of a beating as I was there for longer.

Yeah I almost got kicked out of the program during Hurricane Charley....one Hell of a party!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom