Lights, Motors, Action Extreme Stunt Show to permanently close in April 2016

Goofyernmost

Disney tends to move people around when attractions close. It's entirely possible that many of them were guaranteed other positions within the company - though I'll admit I have no knowledge towards this specific situation.

The drivers were hired on a contract, so when the show ended, they ended.
I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but, that show was highly specialized. It wasn't like putting on a costume and learning a few lines. They had training in the field of stunt car shows, special effects, first aide, mechanics, drivers and relevant only to the specific show. If it's an attraction like Wonders of Life, they can be transferred to another section because the requirements are primarily the same thing. So, this one time, Dave, I calling it a bad source. Not necessarily wrong, but, quite predictable due to the nature of the show. It always seemed that when the show ended, so did the cast for it. It never crossed my mind that they would be any other part of the parks, unless they were able to transfer their specialty to something that Disney needed. My guess is that they were much higher, or at least higher, paid then the average unskilled CM and wouldn't have been able to afford to sell Mickey Bars just to say they had a job. Their skills would be valued in other places.

To me it was always a given that they'd move on when the show ended and I can't even think of a single reason that Disney would fire them for jumping in the pool. No logic attached to that at all.

DisneyFans4Life

If I had to guess, those driver's can be trained to drive like that with practice and can be repurposed. As far as firing them (if true), if I had to guess on that, it's because it was bad show. Yes it was the last show, but it's still a show nonetheless and shouldn't have been done in front of an audience.

Again..just my guess here.

deere839

I got a feeling those drivers and alot of them will be reused for movies like for a example the new Indiana Jones Movie as stunt drivers and stuff like that

MonkeyHead

All of the drivers at LMA were specially trained stunt drivers before they ever worked for Disney. That said, if a show closes, WDW will generally try and offer something (i.e.: anything) - not necessarily the same pay rate or job title or even full time. For a highly specialized job they are rarely lateral moves. But sometimes if something like this happens you take what they offer just to get your families benefits while looking for another job.

And yes, people did get terminated after that show.

Goofyernmost

All of the drivers at LMA were specially trained stunt drivers before they ever worked for Disney. That said, if a show closes, WDW will generally try and offer something (i.e.: anything) - not necessarily the same pay rate or job title or even full time. For a highly specialized job they are rarely lateral moves. But sometimes if something like this happens you take what they offer just to get your families benefits while looking for another job.

And yes, people did get terminated after that show.
I'm still not sure why anyone would be even remotely surprised by that action.

cjkeating

You really cant jump in that pool in full guest view while cameras are rolling.

Rookie move.

Did anyone work out why there were guests walking around the performance space/tarmac area after the last show? I never really saw the show but I would be surprised if that was normal?

HRHPrincessAriel

Rookie move.
I'm trying to think what my principal would do if I went and jumped around in our retaining pond. I can't decide if I think firing them was right or not. However, I don't think it's insane that they did. I don't under stand why it's a "toxic work environment" if in fact WDW did fire them.

I hardly doubt the Duck Masters at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis can go take a dip in their fountain with the ducks without anything happening.

Goofyernmost

Rookie move.
I see is as more of a "nothing to lose" move. It was actually a very nice ending to the show. Even Disney should have the ability to see good PR when it slaps them in the face. A bad situation with a feel good ending. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. :)
Perhaps a major "Bite Me Disney" ending. A symbolic middle finger to management.

PhotoDave219

I see is as more of a "nothing to lose" move. It was actually a very nice ending to the show. Even Disney should have the ability to see good PR when it slaps them in the face. A bad situation with a feel good ending. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. :)
Perhaps a major "Bite Me Disney" ending. A symbolic middle finger to management.

I'm pretty sure that everything would have been fine if there wasn't any video of it or if it wasn't in guest view.

PhotoDave219

Alas if they were going out in a blaze of glory, my hat off to them

Goofyernmost

I'm pretty sure that everything would have been fine if there wasn't any video of it or if it wasn't in guest view.
I guess, but, I still a long way from convinced that the idea that they got fired because they jumped in the pool to be more of a mis-connected thought. I'm pretty sure that most of the crew were not going to be brought into the Disney circle after the show closed. There are many professions where that is the norm. If a Broadway show closes, do they offer the stars a job selling candy bars at the concession stand? Of course not! This is a specialized show... there is not place for those specialties to fit in. There are many other places where they can go (Hollywood, for example) where those years of being in the show at DHS on the resume will afford them a good living well above minimum wage. I'm just saying that the connection between the pool jump and the dismissal is strictly coincidental and would have happened anyway.

PhotoDave219

I guess, but, I still a long way from convinced that the idea that they got fired because they jumped in the pool to be more of a mis-connected thought. I'm pretty sure that most of the crew were not going to be brought into the Disney circle after the show closed. There are many professions where that is the norm. If a Broadway show closes, do they offer the stars a job selling candy bars at the concession stand? Of course not! This is a specialized show... there is not place for those specialties to fit in. There are many other places where they can go (Hollywood, for example) where those years of being in the show at DHS on the resume will afford them a good living well above minimum wage. I'm just saying that the connection between the pool jump and the dismissal is strictly coincidental and would have happened anyway.

It's the story I was told by two people who are vastly separated. A third confirmed the firings but didn't 100% know why, but yes.... There were firings as a poster above mentioned.

Goofyernmost

It's the story I was told by two people who are vastly separated. A third confirmed the firings but didn't 100% know why, but yes.... There were firings as a poster above mentioned.
Are the words firing and dismissed being used interchangeably here? Like I said, I have no doubt that they were let go, however, I also truly doubt that it wasn't the plan from day one.

PhotoDave219

Are the words firing and dismissed being used interchangeably here? Like I said, I have no doubt that they were let go, however, I also truly doubt that it wasn't the plan from day one.

Nope, these weren't dismissals.

And I do agree with that last statement. My guess? They found an excuse.

juan

Not that I know anything of the situation, but I have a possible theory on why (if true) the firings occurred.
Disney, as with many other companies, follows a rigorous safety protocol. The stage is a closed set with hazardous energy (moving cars, fire) and is heavily regulated and monitored for safety. Any breach of safety protocol (cars bumping, grandstand gate opening during show, etc) causes an e-stop of the show and reset. LMA sounds a horn, the music cuts, and the cars reset. Depending on the severity of the breach, it may classify as an OSHA recordable or lost time incident. There are probably levels of PPE required for accessing certain areas. Regardless of how safe an area may look or how much people just want to have fun, it is no excuse for breaching safety protocol.
Things that may have been of issue jumping in the water:
-Are there PPE requirements, like life vests, required to access the water?
-Was the water pit properly locked out and tagged out to ensure the piping, gas, ignition point, and other equipment were deemed safe?
-Even in a properly locked out state, is the water pit accessible to people while filled with water?

Likely this was just a purely safety related issue.

rioriz

Yes and if so they deserved to be fired! We all dream of an "office Space" exit but most of us logically decide against...

Lets not make this a Disney "bad bad boy" story and place responsibility where it lies. If it is an OSHA issue as a business Disney did what they needed....

Moving on...has it begun to come down yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom