News Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy (New Show for 2019)

wannabeBelle

I'm actually kinda happy about this. Sure, its not Cars Land but I think it'd be fun to catch on occasion, especially if they use similar animatronics.
I am being cautiously optimistic on this one. I hope it is something great and I am glad they are utilizing the space they have to increase the Studio's offerings. I am just not sure about the concept. They kinda hit a home run with the new Guardians show in Epcot ( yes I know wrong park, nothing to be done about that) the show is a simple concept, just done really well with some great musicians, singers, face characters etc. It shows that something doesn't have to be a technological marvel to entertain people. I look forward to hearing more about this as time goes on. Marie

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
From the Press Release:

In news announced today, speeding into Disney’s Hollywood Studios early next year will be – Ka-chow! – Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy. The all-new show-attraction, to be located in Sunset Showcase near Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, will immerse guests in the world of Cars and bring them face to face with racing legend Lightning McQueen. With help from friends Mater and Cruz Ramirez, McQueen will demonstrate racing techniques on a new simulator and share career highlights with his guests. Of course, this is Lightning McQueen, so a few twists and turns are to be expected on the road ahead.

Indy_UK

I agree with most

1. It doesn’t replace something that’s currently open

2. Makes use of a dormant building

3. Helps spread the crowds next year onwards.

I can’t help but think this may be just a show horn in for a few years to get through the 50th. If they are going to totally refurb the whole look of the building and go all out on a perminant Cars area then I’m all on board

Castle Cake Apologist

This honestly seems like it will be inconsequential at worst. Like others have said, it will spread crowds out and won't replace anything that is currently operating. Although, I do feel like this could be a million possible different things, based on the description, so it will be pretty interesting to see how this turns out.

What is replacing Disney Jr then???
I guess not that exciting, so probably glanced over it!

Travis! ❤️ It's like seeing a ghost! Where have you been??

SirLink

From the Press Release:

In news announced today, speeding into Disney’s Hollywood Studios early next year will be – Ka-chow! – Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy. The all-new show-attraction, to be located in Sunset Showcase near Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, will immerse guests in the world of Cars and bring them face to face with racing legend Lightning McQueen. With help from friends Mater and Cruz Ramirez, McQueen will demonstrate racing techniques on a new simulator and share career highlights with his guests. Of course, this is Lightning McQueen, so a few twists and turns are to be expected on the road ahead.

When I read that it sunds like they are testing the tech that was going to be used in the Wreck it Ralph attraction in TL @ MK, I presume if successful they may find some other site in HS to host a more permanent version.

Disneyson

When I hear “racing simulator”, I imagine that the characters will be dumbed down Radiator Springs Racers with projected mouths and eyes, on platforms that look to us like the conveyor belt stages they use in Cars 3. I think the whole platform will move as if they’re racing, with screens behind them. This eliminates the need for them to drive out at all, for any wheel motion to be concealed, and to stay stationary in a relatively small space. I also think this will be a show without humans, so no need to pay actors, just a technician. Maybe puppeteers? The ones that are losing their jobs at Disney Junior? So they don’t have to pay anyone extra...?

I forsee Mermaid being knocked out two weeks before this premieres so they can rush a new show in, maybe a clone of the HKDL Moana show.

No Name

There are a few boneheads within the company and elsewhere who think that something being based on a movie franchise makes it fit in Hollywood Studios, no more questions asked. They would tell you with a straight face that the theme of Galaxy's Edge is Star Wars. Then when you ask them what the theme of any movie (such as any Star Wars movie) is, they'd have no clue how to respond.

Themes are ideas, not franchise names. A surrounding Cars land wouldn't necessarily make this show fit in Hollywood Studios, but a storyline that reflects the theme of the park certainly would. The people designing MMRR seem to understand to an extent. I hope this show, which is being created from a relatively fresh slate and applicable property, is designed with that same basic understanding.

First and foremost I'm glad that this appears an addition rather than a replacement.

Po'Rich

There are a few boneheads within the company and elsewhere who think that something being based on a movie franchise makes it fit in Hollywood Studios, no more questions asked. They would tell you with a straight face that the theme of Galaxy's Edge is Star Wars. Then when you ask them what the theme of any movie (such as any Star Wars movie) is, they'd have no clue how to respond.

Themes are ideas, not franchise names. A surrounding Cars land wouldn't necessarily make this show fit in Hollywood Studios, but a storyline that reflects the theme of the park certainly would. The people designing MMRR seem to understand to an extent. I hope this show, which is being created from a relatively fresh slate and applicable property, is designed with that same basic understanding.

First and foremost I'm glad that this appears an addition rather than a replacement.

Excellent points! Your post explains why Pandora fit with AK (both the Avatar movie and the park share the theme of conservation) and why Zootopia (despite having animal characters) does NOT fit. On a side note: I think AK is the best themed park at WDW, and I'd hate to see it diluted.

Back to Hollywood Studios, the problem I see is: what is its theme anymore? The original theme of making movies is mostly lost. It seems to me that the park has become just an eclectic mix of lands and rides that really don't fit anywhere else. As long as there is some connection to movies (and Cars would fit that), it seems that Hollywood Studios is a perfectly reasonable landing spot.

If there is a theme that holds all of Hollywood Studios together, please let me know because I am certainly missing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom