News Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy (New Show for 2019)

SirLink

Excellent points! Your post explains why Pandora fit with AK (both the Avatar movie and the park share the theme of conservation) and why Zootopia (despite having animal characters) does NOT fit. On a side note: I think AK is the best themed park at WDW, and I'd hate to see it diluted.

Back to Hollywood Studios, the problem I see is: what is its theme anymore? The original theme of making movies is mostly lost. It seems to me that the park has become just an eclectic mix of lands and rides that really don't fit anywhere else. As long as there is some connection to movies (and Cars would fit that), it seems that Hollywood Studios is a perfectly reasonable landing spot.

If there is a theme that holds all of Hollywood Studios together, please let me know because I am certainly missing it.

'You ride/play/experience the movies' is the new mantra they are going for.

Fantasmicguy

I guess Hollywood Studios (or whatever it will be eventually be renamed to) is becoming Magic Kingdom part 3. Of course Epcot is Magic Kingdom part 2. And please spare me the "Hollywood Studios is no longer a working studio" response. Just because it is no longer a working studio does not mean it needs to become Fantasyland. Yes, more shows and attractions are always welcome but soon there will be a lack of any form of transition between experiences AND parks (sans AK... for now).

And fwiw, we just bought into DVC, we love Disney and will continue to visit. I can support WDW and still be critical. I know the company is (or at least was) capable of doing a better job. One day, they will return to the higher standards they once practiced.
Cars doesn't fit into Magic Kingdom or Epcot it's a great fit for the Studios which is NOW about movies of all kind live action or animated. Its not the best theme ever but it works. What is the problem? It's something new and its an addition.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Let's compare this morning's press release and how it's been edited to tonight's...

From the Press Release:

In news announced today, speeding into Disney’s Hollywood Studios early next year
will be – Ka-chow! – Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy.
The all-new show-attraction, to be located in Sunset Showcase near Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster,
will immerse guests in the world of Cars
and bring them face to face with racing legend Lightning McQueen.
With help from friends Mater and Cruz Ramirez, McQueen will
demonstrate racing techniques on a new simulator and share career highlights with his guests.
Of course, this is Lightning McQueen,
so a few twists and turns are to be expected on the road ahead.
Tonight...

In news announced today, speeding into Disney’s Hollywood Studios early next year
The all-new show experience, to be located near Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster,
will welcome guests to the world of Cars
showcase some of what he’s learned over the years with guests – the next generation of rookie racers.

The revised PR statement now comports with the wording from Disney Park Blog.

Princess Leia

Let's compare this morning's press release and how it's been edited to tonight's...

Tonight...

The all-new show experience, to be located near Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster,
will welcome guests to the world of Cars
showcase some of what he’s learned over the years with guests – the next generation of rookie racers.

The revised PR statement now comports with the wording from Disney Park Blog.
It definitely seems like they’re trying to lower expectations.

wannabeBelle

Does anyone know if this is supposed to be a limited time thing or if we are looking at this as a more permanent addition? Marie

SirLink

Does anyone know if this is supposed to be a limited time thing or if we are looking at this as a more permanent addition? Marie

Well it is 'Limited' in the sense of Disney Parks limited but as it is in a space which they can do parties and do add on events ... my own 'hot take' is its limited in the sense of giving a bit of extra needed capacity whilst they replace shows and for Galaxy Edge.

drod1985

Yeah, it's quite apparent that the "theme" has shifted from making movies to just movies in general. Not too dissimilar from Universal's original "Ride the Movies" vibe.

As for fitting Cars next to RnRC...the whole first movie was about Lightning getting to California to compete in the Piston Cup. If they're not theming after Radiator Springs then this could be his California based training facility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom