News Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy (New Show for 2019)

Coaster Lover

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
lm0239480234fi-624x352.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...s-at-disneys-hollywood-studios-in-early-2019/

"Calling aspiring racers of all ages! I feel a big ol’ Ka-Chow coming on, because beginning in early 2019, there’s going to be another exciting reason to get revved up about a visit to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. It’s Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy, a high-octane first-of-its-kind new show that’ll put you right in the middle of the world of Disney•Pixar’s “Cars."

At Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy, located near Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, you’ll come face-to-face with racing legend Lightning McQueen, who is excited to showcase what he’s learned over the years with you – the next generation of rookie racers. Of course, as Lightning McQueen has discovered throughout his career, things don’t always go according to plan, and he has to think fast to get back on course. With friends Tow Mater, Cruz Ramirez and the gang from Radiator Springs on his side, Lightning gears up for the challenge.

What will happen? You’ll have to speed on over to find out when Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy opens early next year!"

khdjgfy46987986.jpg

Last edited:

andysol

It was just announced at the To Infinity and Beyond panel, that a new, Lightning McQueen oriented show, will debut at DHS next year.

The show will star Lightning, Mater, and for the first time since the Meet and Greet, Cruz Ramirez.

No location mentioned currently.

s8film40

So going through every location I can think of the one that seems more logical might be Star Wars Launch Bay. That is expected to close when Star Wars land opens right? Otherwise the other things that come to mind are One Mans Dream, Little mermaid or possibly and hopefully not replacing Muppets.

Coaster Lover

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Any chance this just happens at the end of the current Pixar Place area (where the Cruz Ramirez M&G area currently is?) Have it as one of those "classic" walk-up "shows" like DHS used to have (with no or minimal formal seating)? Nothing big, just have the cars drive up, park, and most of the rest is cast members having guests come up to do "stuff" while the cars just sit and talk? Bioreconstruct did show this building under construction in that area and it seems like it would be big enough to park a few cars in...

DgZv-DyVQAA_vBV.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Any chance this just happens at the end of the current Pixar Place area (where the Cruz Ramirez M&G area currently is?) Have it as one of those "classic" walk-up "shows" like DHS used to have (with no or minimal formal seating)? Nothing big, just have the cars drive up, park, and most of the rest is cast members having guests come up to do "stuff" while the cars just sit and talk? Bioreconstruct did show this building under construction in that area and it seems like it would be big enough to park a few cars in...

DgZv-DyVQAA_vBV.jpg
I believe that area is utility space.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member

DgZv-DyVQAA_vBV.jpg

Wasn't that for the thrash compactor?

Castle Cake Apologist

More importantly is W H E R E ?

Apparently there are plans now to leave Pixar Place open for the foreseeable future, so maybe back there somehow?

EMBARRASSING EDIT: Please ignore me, I just noticed where it says it will be located near RnRC... so, I'm thinking Sunset Showcase now too.

2ND EMBARRASSING EDIT: Just saw where @wdwmagic confirmed that it is, indeed, in Sunset Showcase. Thanks, Steve. :cool:

Last edited:

cjkeating

Can't think of an obvious location unless they repurpose part of Pixar Place.

Just depends on what scale this thing is, I initially thought this sounded like a fancy meet and greet?

andysol

Nice. I'll take it at the flex theater; even if the show is minimal to pull a little traffic that way. The park has to maximize all it's existing space and they need all they can get before SW:GE.

Now all we need is Beauty and the Beast and/or Voyage of the Little Mermaid to upgrade. And how about a potential day show utilizing the Fantasia theater?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Nice. I'll take it at the flex theater; even if the show is minimal to pull a little traffic that way. The park has to maximize all it's existing space and they need all they can get before SW:GE.

Now all we need is Beauty and the Beast and/or Voyage of the Little Mermaid to upgrade. And how about a potential day show utilizing the Fantasia theater?
If it's in the Flex theater, that's nice. A new venue to draw in guests.

Spash007

To open next year, they most likely will not build a new building. It is a show so it is possible it wouldn't take more than a year and a half to build a new building, but with all of the options, I feel they won't.

They could replace one of the current Star Wars offerings with it because SW:GE will be open, but to convert one of those spaces over would probably take more than a few months, meaning for it to open in 2019, they would have to close Launch Bay or Star Tours before SW:GE opens which I feel they won't do. Even though the Star Tours technology could be really cool since you could feel like you are moving. It really could become a racing "academy" then with them teaching you to drive.

I'm assuming they'll want to keep Star Tours and Launch Bay open until at least SW:GE opens, if not longer to alleviate the crowds, so I'll guess those are out. That would really mean either BatB, Mermaid, Indy, or maybe the event space by ToT?

Mermaid would make the most thematical sense keeping it in Animation Courtyard. Having it indoors would probably be easier to also add additional effects to make it more immersive on the guests.

While I hate to see Indy go, there is a lot they could do in that space with the cars actually coming out and doing things. BatB may be able to have a similar experience being outdoors, but in my mind at least it wouldn't work as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom