News Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy (New Show for 2019)

Disneylover152

Awesome chart. Only nitpick is that I believe DHS had a few more attractions on opening day - Magic of Disney Animation, Monster Sound Show, and Superstar Television, if my memory is right.

You are correct. Disney-MGM Studios opened with 5 attractions and had Star Tours and Indy Stunt Show opened within 7 months after the opening.

They rushed the opening date to beat Universal to the punch.

Still proves the main purpose of the chart, that the theme parks are under built at the start and even after 20 years of expansion, they don’t hold a candle to Magic Kingdom on opening day.

tomast

I can't agree with the general sentiment of your post. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock the non-ride forms of entertainment Disney offers. I love the shows and 3D movies and animal exhibits, etc. My issue is with these options serving as replacements for rides, rather than complements. MK has plenty of non-ride attractions - 4 animatronic shows, Philharmagic, MILF, ETwB, FoF parade, Sawyer, etc. But they also have a ton of rides.

You are right that a ride is not guaranteed to be better than another form of attraction (though I believe 99% of Epcot's guests would disagree with your preference for GAH over Soarin'). But there is something unique about a ride that other forms of entertainment don't offer. In fact, I would argue that having rides is the defining characteristic of an amusement park (of which "theme parks" is a subset). In other words, if it doesn't contain rides, it's not an amusement park. The same cannot be said of shows, movies, games, dining, or shops, which are really separate categories of entertainment in their own right that are used to help fill out an amusement park.

It's certainly true that not all rides appeal to everyone, which is exactly why there needs to be a large quantity. Storybook Circus and Dino-rama have similar ride offerings, but way more people complain about the latter because they don't have alternatives at AK. What makes MK better than the other parks is that there is enough to do for just about everyone.

But you don't have to take my word for it - the attendance numbers prove that the shows at DHS, animals at AK, and WS at Epcot are not doing enough to compensate for those parks' lack of rides. You love to point out that the shortcomings of those parks are a major factor behind the overcrowding at MK. I absolutely agree, and that's why they need to continue adding more rides.

What does MILF mean in this specific scenario?? :oops::oops:

tomast

Check out the link in my sig below to a list of abbreviations and acronyms. You'll laugh at it's true meaning!!
I´m Almost sure Wasauski has something to do with the resulting abbreviation, I hope Ross never realizes :p

Thanks for the tip, I will keep that link for further needs.
And kind of On-Topic:
Would it be possible to think about a mixture of Turtle Talk/ MILF with the current cars animatronics something like the ex-speaking Mickey. Something like the next-gen of the Wardrobe of the enchanted tales with belle that works with....... good timing I suppose?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Peek Behind the Scenes of Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy with the ‘Disney Parks Presents a 25 Days of Christmas Holiday Party’ Special

Taking on the role of rookie racer, you’ll cruise into the theater and find yourself face-to-face with Lightning McQueen, appearing live on stage. McQueen and the entire audience are enveloped by a giant, wraparound screen that is nearly two stories tall and stretches more than 200 feet from end to end, pulling everyone into the action! The racing legend is excited to showcase what he’s learned over the years. Of course, as Lightning McQueen has discovered throughout his career, things don’t always go according to plan, and he has to think fast to get back on course. Friends like Tow Mater, Cruz Ramirez and Lightning’s pals from Radiator Springs chime in with their support, as Lightning gears up for the challenge.​
Disney Parks Live Entertainment is working closely with the creative team at Pixar Animation Studios to bring this new “Cars” story to life. Stay tuned to Disney Parks Blog in the coming months, as we share more about Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy on the road to its spring 2019 grand opening, and be sure to catch the behind-the-scenes look at the attraction in the “Disney Parks Presents a 25 Days of Christmas Holiday Party” starting today on the DisneyNOW app and airing December 1 at 8 p.m. EST on Disney Channel.​
tag @wdwmagic

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Peek Behind the Scenes of Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy with the ‘Disney Parks Presents a 25 Days of Christmas Holiday Party’ Special

Taking on the role of rookie racer, you’ll cruise into the theater and find yourself face-to-face with Lightning McQueen, appearing live on stage. McQueen and the entire audience are enveloped by a giant, wraparound screen that is nearly two stories tall and stretches more than 200 feet from end to end, pulling everyone into the action! The racing legend is excited to showcase what he’s learned over the years. Of course, as Lightning McQueen has discovered throughout his career, things don’t always go according to plan, and he has to think fast to get back on course. Friends like Tow Mater, Cruz Ramirez and Lightning’s pals from Radiator Springs chime in with their support, as Lightning gears up for the challenge.​
Disney Parks Live Entertainment is working closely with the creative team at Pixar Animation Studios to bring this new “Cars” story to life. Stay tuned to Disney Parks Blog in the coming months, as we share more about Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy on the road to its spring 2019 grand opening, and be sure to catch the behind-the-scenes look at the attraction in the “Disney Parks Presents a 25 Days of Christmas Holiday Party” starting today on the DisneyNOW app and airing December 1 at 8 p.m. EST on Disney Channel.​
tag @wdwmagic
Beat me too it. Read in the article there will be at least 1 animatronic (McQueen) and appearances by Mater, Cruz, and the RS crew. Possibly screens, but Mater might get an animatronic (just thinking out loud. Dont quote me on this)

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I would think more like smoke, snow, bubbles, wind and other similar things.

Also from that video I don’t think they’re will be a Mater animatronic since they were animating him.
Didn't see the video, I was on my mobile on my work's WiFi (WHich is minimal)

Rodan75

I would think more like smoke, snow, bubbles, wind and other similar things.

Also from that video I don’t think they’re will be a Mater animatronic since they were animating him.

It seems like it would be just as easy to put rows of D-Box in as it would any other effects. I haven’t watched the video yet, though. I’m super surprised it is a wrap around screen and they seem to be putting as much into this as they are.

s8film40

It seems like it would be just as easy to put rows of D-Box in as it would any other effects. I haven’t watched the video yet, though. I’m super surprised it is a wrap around screen and they seem to be putting as much into this as they are.
I would guess all those individual seats would be far more expensive than a few fog machines, snow blowers and fans. I just don’t expect Disney to spend the money on that.

Now if they go the route of making this a racing simulator like seen in Cars 3 which seems like the easiest narrative to wrap the audience into the action then the seats would be a perfect fit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom