News Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy (New Show for 2019)

MrPromey

Wonder if this is now going to be a permanent attraction in this (seemingly) under-used "flex" space?

... And by permanent, I mean, lasting the better part of a decade. Given the details presented, it sounds like they are building it with the intent of it sticking around a good while... Also wonder if this is something that might find it's way to that second park on the west coast some day.

Marc Davis Fan

It would be so Universal of Disney to have motion seats in this - but it would be a brilliant way to open another new “ride” to take pressure of SWGE (especially considering the demographic overlap).

Kung Fu Panda at USH is basically a movie with projection mapping on the side walls and slightly moving seats. They don’t market it as a “ride,” presumably because then it would be disappointing.

If Disney did the same here, even without 3D or projection mapping, it would feel more like a real “attraction” and have more draw. Most notably, the “racing simulator” premise would allow it to be immersive instead of unrealistic (just as “training simulator” works for M:S).

But I suspect the main reason they might not consider this would be to allow for very small children to experience the attraction (I’m not sure how young/small would be too young/small for a moving seat system).

dothebrdwalk

It would be so Universal of Disney to have motion seats in this - but it would be a brilliant way to open another new “ride” to take pressure of SWGE (especially considering the demographic overlap).

Kung Fu Panda at USH is basically a movie with projection mapping on the side walls and slightly moving seats. They don’t market it as a “ride,” presumably because then it would be disappointing.

If Disney did the same here, even without 3D or projection mapping, it would feel more like a real “attraction” and have more draw. Most notably, the “racing simulator” premise would allow it to be immersive instead of unrealistic (just as “training simulator” works for M:S).

But I suspect the main reason they might not consider this would be to allow for very small children to experience the attraction (I’m not sure how young/small would be too young/small for a moving seat system).

Watched the preview clip on the Disney Now app. They are definitely marketing it as a show. BUT they did show them talking about it in a theatre with seats so it could be....

One thing that was confusing to me was that they were animating Cruz and Mater (gave me Turtle Talk vibes) but also animating a 3d model of Lightning? For an animatronic maybe? I don't know how it works.

No Name

@wdwmagic the little blurb that comes up before clicking on the article says Spring 2018. No big deal but just wanted to let you know.

Hoping the show is good and fitting.

GlacierGlacier

Watched the preview clip on the Disney Now app. They are definitely marketing it as a show. BUT they did show them talking about it in a theatre with seats so it could be....

One thing that was confusing to me was that they were animating Cruz and Mater (gave me Turtle Talk vibes) but also animating a 3d model of Lightning? For an animatronic maybe? I don't know how it works.
Animatronics nowadays are programmed using 3D animation software like Maya and others.

I would assume it's a single physical auto-animatronic and digital characters for all other individuals, however. Auto-animatronics (and all animatronics) are crazy expensive.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
How big is this space???

The Flex space where this is going is circled in red. For comparison the BatB theater in the in the lower right.

1546449837332.png

Marc Davis Fan

I wonder how the directional signage will work for this. I assume there will be a sign outside of the RnRC courtyard, directing people to Racing Academy. I really hope they can keep the signage in theme for Sunset Boulevard...

Edit: Speaking of signage, it just occurred to me that they might get more people into this show than they could at most other locations if they have signage that can be easily noticed by people LEAVING RnRC. It’s not a demographic match, but people might just walk in due to curiosity - and that works just as well to pull them out of the walkways (and keep them on the opposite side of the park from SWGE) for a little extra time...

I still say they missed an opportunity by not having motion seats and thus another “new ride,” though.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom