Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

CGriz

I’m not sure if this has already been answered, but does anyone know if you can book a LL while out of state for your arrival day?

We will be traveling this summer and taking an early morning flight and will be in the parks for the afternoon and evening on our arrival date. If I’ve got a park ticket and buy G+ the night before, would I be able to book a LL at the opening window for later that afternoon/night. I would be in a different time zone and account for that for the opening window. I wasn’t sure if someone had already tried it and was curious to see if it would work.

DCLcruiser

Has anyone been able to book Individual LL for MDE linked Family & Friends staying off site? So, if I am a WDW Hotel Guest, can I book ILL for my entire party, if some are not associated with a WDW hotel room?

dreday3

I’m not sure if this has already been answered, but does anyone know if you can book a LL while out of state for your arrival day?

We will be traveling this summer and taking an early morning flight and will be in the parks for the afternoon and evening on our arrival date. If I’ve got a park ticket and buy G+ the night before, would I be able to book a LL at the opening window for later that afternoon/night. I would be in a different time zone and account for that for the opening window. I wasn’t sure if someone had already tried it and was curious to see if it would work.

Yep. I booked Rat for 7pm while we were waiting to board plane in Chicago! :)

nickys

Premium Member
Has anyone been able to book Individual LL for MDE linked Family & Friends staying off site? So, if I am a WDW Hotel Guest, can I book ILL for my entire party, if some are not associated with a WDW hotel room?
At 7am you will only be able to book for those staying onsite. Once the park opens you can book for those staying offsite.

pdude81

afternoon at the pool? no chance with Genie (-)

3pm arrival and stay until close? not possible with Genie(-)

Sleep in past 6:45am (on vacation)? not possible with Genie (-) **who wants to sleep in on vacation anyway, so dumb**
to be fair, you've said that slinky was a 7pm pull when you got to a time right at 7 on genie plus. If you took that, then 2 hours after opening you'd have something tolerable to add to it, like TSMM. Then later you could yank a star tours or something else. Not bad for showing up in the heat of the day
. I understand that FP+ might work better for you in terms of how your trip plans work but the 3pm arrival stay is doable with Genie. You just have to work at it on the day of, as you've mentioned you don't want to do.

I'm going back in time to hunt through this thread since I recently got back from a trip. Might take me a day or two to catch up, and then I'll post some of how I did with Genie.

pdude81

If they wanted to monetize line skip, what they should have made Genie+ (and what I think they should turn it into) was dynamically priced, a la carte for every ride charged as you tap in like an express lane toll road.

Basically, you would arrive ta the attraction entrance. If there is capacity in the LL queue, a price is shown on a sign. The price goes up as the number of people in the LL increases. LL should be given a low percentage of ride capacity but a high enough base price so this system can bring in as much or more revenue as the current Genie+/ILL combination.

When the LL capacity gets close to capacity, the price should get ridiculous so it never actually sells out and somebody who REALLY wants to skip the line at that moment can pay something crazy like $40 per person.

This way, there is no planning involved, you always get what you pay for and limiting LL to 10%-15% of attraction capacity would minimize the negative effect on the line that is included with admission. It would also make the system very simple and easy to understand. You arrive at RotR. The standby line is 90 minutes. There is a sign that you can enter the LL for $20 per person and reduce the wait to 20 minutes. You tap in, get a green light if your payment goes through and save 70 minutes for $20 per person.

The cost would be a formula that takes into account the standby wait and current LL real time capacity used.
You're not actually asking them to rip us off even more, right? People will still pay for line skips. They would just cost more.

WDWFREAK53

I have a client who has never been to Disney. I was telling her and showing her how to use the app and Genie+ (she's not exactly tech-savvy but knows her way around current devices). She said to me, "Why do I feel like I need to really study before my vacation?" This is beyond just reading up and getting yourself familiar with the area you are vacationing to...this is strategizing, and constantly being on your phone hoping something opens up, and feeling defeated if something isn't available.

I never thought I'd prefer FP+ because who really knows what ride they want to ride 60 days before a trip but at least you had a plan set in place before you got there.
Not to mention, for the most part you could choose your times and set them up in an orderly fashion as you'd navigate around the park.

In theory 'Genie' is great for helping people (set up a list of things they want to see and help you get the most out of your day), but maybe Genie+ shouldn't be widely offered and only offered to resort guests at this time.

DisneyCane

They would have to charge far more, and CAP purchases. Otherwise, every Tom Dick and Harry on their once in a lifetime trip would buy it, and render it just as annoying as G+
Yes, that was exactly the idea I posted. Also, the more people joining the LL, the higher the price would go in real time to discourage people from buying it. There would also be a limit where it was temporarily "sold out."

ChrisM

She said to me, "Why do I feel like I need to really study before my vacation?" This is beyond just reading up and getting yourself familiar with the area you are vacationing to...this is strategizing, and constantly being on your phone hoping something opens up, and feeling defeated if something isn't available.

This is precisely the problem. Although I'd argue FP+ really wasn't a whole lot better in this regard - it still felt like planning an amphibious assault as opposed to a vacation.

I do think one of the driving forces behind G+ was an attempt to allow for more spontaneity and not shut out guests who hadn't planned 60 days in advance. In practice it seems like it's just pushed the 60 day exercise into an every day at 7am exercise.

Disney's capacity problems aren't resolving themselves any time soon. Which is why I think the only solution here is on-demand, real time priced LL access.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Disney's capacity problems aren't resolving themselves any time soon. Which is why I think the only solution here is on-demand, real time priced LL access.
That would be a disaster, IMO. I also don't think it will work because it will generate a lot less revenue.

In any case, I'd prefer a return to a FP+ like solution (with some modifications), or a high-price, all-you-can eat option a la Express Pass, or a modified Genie+.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom