Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

ChrisM

@lentesta over at Touring Plans indicated that Disney is well aware of the problems with Genie+, and that he heard that it will take $750MM to fix. :oops:

So Disney can build 8 new, people eating E-ticket attractions for $93 million each (2 for each park)? ;)

Seriously though, curious as to what is being identified as the problem and how the $750mm figure is being reached.

pdude81

I don't know where you are getting your numbers, but 7:15am for Slinky is not correct. It just isn't.

SDD sells out by 7:02am. I verified this when I was there, because a cast member called in for me about 7:10am. She verified that it was sold out at 7:02am (and generally sold out by 7:02am).

I don't know how to explain this so you believe me, but the system is junk. What you see before you buy, is not what anyone actually can buy. If I go on G+ right now, it says a Buzz pass is available for 8:25pm, but that doesn't mean it is actually true. It might be true. This late in the day, the system is more reliable, but early in the day it is pure junk.

You click to get an 8:05am pass, but the pass you get is a completely different time, or it just isn't available at all.

But if you don't think I telling the truth, so be it.
There are multiple drops in the first 15-20 minutes before the big rides pretty much sell out for good.

pdude81

Maybe, but it was showing me all times. Not just 2p or later
It shows you and everybody a cached version of what it thinks the earliest return time for anyone is. This can be outdates by seconds or minutes and when you click in you get an actual offer of time. This is the only one that actually matters. The difference here is that people won't complain in this case when it says 10am and the click through shows 2pm instead.

This is the same as if there were one room available at a hotel and 500 people tried to book it at once. At least 499 would be mad that it didn't work.

pdude81

I'm coming from a background as someone who was advanced at FP+ and used to refreshing there to pick up additional passes or swap for better options throughout the day. So I'm not the average person.

However, in my trip on multiple days we did quite well, and it was very crowded over Easter break. I pulled Slinky in the second drop more than once, including for my departure day in which I wasn't getting to the park until 11 and got the followin G+ selections. 11:30 SDD G+, ToT I pulled around 10:20 for 11:30 or so. Then after tapping in for that I pulled a MMRR for 12:30. We left a hotel late that morning and had to leave early, but got 3 great ones.

Now I had to strategize based on knowledge of further drops, and this wasn't even our most successful day. For my son's birthday the day before easter, we rope dropped DHS and did 8 rides and a M&G (he didn't want to ride RNRC) before leaving by 3pm. At that point I was still able to pull passes at Epcot and had a nighttime ILL for Remy. That ride was barely functional during our ride so I was not happy about paying for it, but that's a different discussion.

Neither of these days are MK days either, where it's much much easier to do what you want with G+. I get the complaining about this system, but I'd rather they just build more rides so this works than waste more money coming up with a different way to shuffle people around.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
At that point I was still able to pull passes at Epcot and had a nighttime ILL for Remy. That ride was barely functional during our ride so I was not happy about paying for it, but that's a different discussion.

That is a shame. I will say that the same happened to us - the
practical effects were mistimed (water) or non-functional (heat)
and the ride stopped multiple times (one of which had a rat humping a guys head, which had us all cackling). Luckily, it was our second ride, and the first was flawless. I still went to guest services, and they were able to get my parents park passes for MGM the next day to join my daughter and me (parents were a late add, so they were doing to do EPCOT and hop to MGM), which was an absolutely amazing "compensation."

Between RotR and Rat, with a little MMRR thrown in, I'm staring to think WDW should just stop it with the trackless rides.

pdude81

That is a shame. I will say that the same happened to us - the
practical effects were mistimed (water) or non-functional (heat)
and the ride stopped multiple times (one of which had a rat humping a guys head, which had us all cackling). Luckily, it was our second ride, and the first was flawless. I still went to guest services, and they were able to get my parents park passes for MGM the next day to join my daughter and me (parents were a late add, so they were doing to do EPCOT and hop to MGM), which was an absolutely amazing "compensation."

Between RotR and Rat, with a little MMRR thrown in, I'm staring to think WDW should just stop it with the trackless rides.
Yeah, they even evacuated the queue in our room to completely reset things, but when I went to complain the person said they couldn' tleave their post and to ask for a reride. Then after talking to like 3 cast members, they told me that they don't guarantee everything works and the line was too long to let me in.

I stopped by Guest Services on the way out and they were cool with giving me a pass for 2 days later when we'd be back at Epcot. They could see my ILL purchase in Genie so they at least knew I'd paid and wasn't satisfied.

ChrisM

Does he have an article? Is there a link?

Or did Len just comment on a forum?

Just a comment on the TP forum. No other detail other than $750mm just to fix the software.

Not sure what that fix would even be. Although I'd guess it would have to include locking in a time when you select it (without it changing on you in the next step) and the ability to modify existing reservations, at a minimum.

Jeff4272

Just a comment on the TP forum. No other detail other than $750mm just to fix the software.

Not sure what that fix would even be. Although I'd guess it would have to include locking in a time when you select it (without it changing on you in the next step) and the ability to modify existing reservations, at a minimum.
Good thing is, they have all that $ they made off of Genie already to put into it and improve it

UNCgolf

Which would be a definite improvement, but still not really fix any of the major problems with the system.

Jeff4272

DLP just announced an all access pass........There's no doubt in my mind thats coming to WDW....might be only offered to Hotel guest or certain level of hotel guests, but its got to be coming b they know how bad Genie(-) is

any guesses on ppp? I'm saying $149......so will be about $300 pp so get into park with a ticket and ride anything, anytime, once each

arich35

I have a client who has never been to Disney. I was telling her and showing her how to use the app and Genie+ (she's not exactly tech-savvy but knows her way around current devices). She said to me, "Why do I feel like I need to really study before my vacation?" This is beyond just reading up and getting yourself familiar with the area you are vacationing to...this is strategizing, and constantly being on your phone hoping something opens up, and feeling defeated if something isn't available.

I never thought I'd prefer FP+ because who really knows what ride they want to ride 60 days before a trip but at least you had a plan set in place before you got there.
Not to mention, for the most part you could choose your times and set them up in an orderly fashion as you'd navigate around the park.

In theory 'Genie' is great for helping people (set up a list of things they want to see and help you get the most out of your day), but maybe Genie+ shouldn't be widely offered and only offered to resort guests at this time.
We are going down in December with about 10 family members who have not been to Disney, we are staying offsite. I have no idea how to explain Genie+ to them that makes it simple and easy. Shouldn't be this difficult

Purduevian

DLP just announced an all access pass........There's no doubt in my mind thats coming to WDW....might be only offered to Hotel guest or certain level of hotel guests, but its got to be coming b they know how bad Genie(-) is

any guesses on ppp? I'm saying $149......so will be about $300 pp so get into park with a ticket and ride anything, anytime, once each
Ride every LL once (including ILL) Ill say $125 in the busy season and $200 in the super busy season (there is no slow season anymore)
Wonder if they would also make an unlimited version with re-rides $175-$250

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom