Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Minnesota disney fan

I remember way back when there was no fP, no lightning lane, no Genie+ everyone was treated equally you got in line --yes the lines were long but they moved quickly. Then the bean counters saw a way for Disney to make more $$$$$$ isn't this counter to Disney's inclusion policy----everyone should be treated equally -----pay your $$$ and get treated special
I remember that time, John PH. We waited in line With Everyone Else,, and the lines constantly moved. If a line was too long for us to wait, we just went on to another line. It was more equal for everyone back then. You paid the entrance fee and all else was free. Imagine that. I think those of us who remember those simpler times are the ones most upset about how WDW has changed.

Chi84

Premium Member
I remember that time, John PH. We waited in line With Everyone Else,, and the lines constantly moved. If a line was too long for us to wait, we just went on to another line. It was more equal for everyone back then. You paid the entrance fee and all else was free. Imagine that. I think those of us who remember those simpler times are the ones most upset about how WDW has changed.
I’m one who remembers those times except we skipped a lot of rides because of the lines. When they started fast pass it was a much better experience for us.

Disney’s current customer base wouldn’t accept having to stand in the kind of lines that would occur for the more popular rides.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Have you decided you’re never going back, or are you open to changing your mind? If so, what would bring you back?
Ask a Disney Focused TA about this. Guest Retention within the company has become a very big focus. They’re loosing a lot of their most loyal and high spending guests…and they know it.

Minnesota disney fan

I’m one who remembers those times except we skipped a lot of rides because of the lines. When they started fast pass it was a much better experience for us.

Disney’s current customer base wouldn’t accept having to stand in the kind of lines that would occur for the more popular rides.
I think this was way back before fast pass was even invented. There was nothing to skip lines with back then. There was no other option but to wait in line, and they were always moving, sometimes slower than others, but constant.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think this was way back before fast pass was even invented. There was nothing to skip lines with back then. There was no other option but to wait in line, and they were always moving, sometimes slower than others, but constant.
We started going to WDW in 1984 as adults; that was way back before fast pass was invented. I know what you're saying, but my experience was different. The lines were miserable and we had people in our party who couldn't stand in them. All these years later, we're those people. ;)

Chi84

Premium Member
Right now, no to going back. I would go back if they changed back to the way they were, you know, customer service and all the things they have taken away. I know this won't happen and it is sad. We started going to WDW in l977 and when our kids left home, the two of us started going yearly or more often. We enjoyed it so much and looked forward to it every year. There are a lot of wonderful memories there. I must admit, I do miss it so who knows? Our last visit was 2020 the week that Covid started. I could list all the reasons that have been talked about ad nauseum, but won't.
Appreciate your answer. Disney has made atrocious choices going back several years to when they started to charge for resort parking (since rescinded). I called to tell them why I thought that decision would cost them younger customers and all they kept saying was that they were happy the charge wouldn't affect us because we were DVC owners. Then they decided to do away with Magical Express, which was also a benefit used by families with young children.

Until COVID, my husband and I visited at least twice a year and took the entire family once every two years. We were happy with FP+ but could already see it cracking under the stress of insufficient capacity. We tried Genie+ and didn't like it; I don't expect the current paid system is going to be much better.

Others have discussed Disney's failed business model in far better detail than I can, but I just don't see the parks coming back from it any time soon, if ever. By the time they do, Disney will likely have gutted their customer base.

DH and I have moved from WDW to cruises for all except our once-every-second-year family vacation. But the family has now expanded to 6 adults and 4 children, 2 of whom are over the age of 3. So the costs of everything this year are going to be pretty high. We will continue with these vacations as long as everyone enjoys them. But I can say unequivocally that if Gran and Grandad weren't paying, no one would be going. And I don't see my kids saving up for an expensive vacation; they'll just move on. So will we - one way or the other. ;)

monothingie

Premium Member
Of course they are; abject greed is not a good look for any company.
I don’t think it’s greed as much incompetence. All companies want to maximize profit, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Disney just doesn’t want to or is unable to pull this off without shooting themselves in the foot in the process.

The problem for most guests has never been the high cost of Disney, because it’s always been there. But for most guests the high cost was offset by perceived value and quality compared to other destination options.

Now through the competition stepping up their game and Disney constantly floundering, mostly of their own fault, the value and favorable brand sentiment has vaporized. This coupled with management that prefers to have contempt for the guest rather than a willingness to cater to them, leads to the situation they’re in where they are significantly underperforming their segment and permanently loosing customers in the process.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don’t think it’s greed as much incompetence. All companies want to maximize profit, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Disney just doesn’t want to or is unable to pull this off without shooting themselves in the foot in the process.

The problem for most guests has never been the high cost of Disney, because it’s always been there. But for most guests the high cost was offset by perceived value and quality compared to other destination options.

Now through the competition stepping up their game and Disney constantly floundering, mostly of their own fault, the value and favorable brand sentiment has vaporized. This coupled with management that prefers to have contempt for the guest rather than a willingness to cater to them, leads to the situation they’re in where they are significantly underperforming their segment and permanently loosing customers in the process.
I generally agree, although I’m not sure I would go as far as “contempt.”

John park hopper

We started going to WDW in 1984 as adults; that was way back before fast pass was invented. I know what you're saying, but my experience was different. The lines were miserable and we had people in our party who couldn't stand in them. All these years later, we're those people. ;)
Been going since 1972 as a 23 year old for me the lines were not miserable-pre cell phones people actually talked while waiting in line ---met a lot of friendly interesting people in those lines

aladdin2007

Ask a Disney Focused TA about this. Guest Retention within the company has become a very big focus. They’re loosing a lot of their most loyal and high spending guests…and they know it.
This, and they have made it very clear they do not want passholders or locals. The stupid reservation system has turned off passholders and the games they play with idiotic good to go days. If they want to block holidays and what not like that fine, but the rest is complete idiocy put together by too many geeks in the kitchen and inept management who doesn't know how to run the parks anymore. But this is how they want it, so I don't want to hear them whine when the local bread and butter quits putting out, which already has to some extent, I know were about done. Its a pain to go anymore.

monothingie

Premium Member
This, and they have made it very clear they do not want passholders or locals. The stupid reservation system has turned off passholders and the games they play with idiotic good to go days. If they want to block holidays and what not like that fine, but the rest is complete idiocy put together by too many geeks in the kitchen and inept management who doesn't know how to run the parks anymore. But this is how they want it, so I don't want to hear them whine when the local bread and butter quits putting out, which already has to some extent, I know were about done. Its a pain to go anymore.
They’re chasing after a favorable guest mix that doesn’t exist in mass to offset the loss of the lower margin guest. Contrary to what the just graduated MBA who couldn’t find the Magic kingdom on a map would put in a financial analysis for his bosses.

Empty TS restaurants prove this conclusively.

The bigger problem they have with AP holders and locals is that even if Disney does a 180 and goes back to prepandemic ways of doing things (you know when the parks were jam packed) they still may not come back. Once you tick off a customer, they usually don’t come back.

Vegas Disney Fan

Appreciate your answer. Disney has made atrocious choices going back several years to when they started to charge for resort parking (since rescinded). I called to tell them why I thought that decision would cost them younger customers and all they kept saying was that they were happy the charge wouldn't affect us because we were DVC owners. Then they decided to do away with Magical Express, which was also a benefit used by families with young children.

Until COVID, my husband and I visited at least twice a year and took the entire family once every two years. We were happy with FP+ but could already see it cracking under the stress of insufficient capacity. We tried Genie+ and didn't like it; I don't expect the current paid system is going to be much better.

Others have discussed Disney's failed business model in far better detail than I can, but I just don't see the parks coming back from it any time soon, if ever. By the time they do, Disney will likely have gutted their customer base.

DH and I have moved from WDW to cruises for all except our once-every-second-year family vacation. But the family has now expanded to 6 adults and 4 children, 2 of whom are over the age of 3. So the costs of everything this year are going to be pretty high. We will continue with these vacations as long as everyone enjoys them. But I can say unequivocally that if Gran and Grandad weren't paying, no one would be going. And I don't see my kids saving up for an expensive vacation; they'll just move on. So will we - one way or the other. ;)
We’re in a similar situation, we used to go to DL monthly (as local APs) and WDW once or twice a year on average… with all the changes the last few years we now vastly prefer cruising or other vacations.

We are going on a DCL cruise in January and will be spending a few days in WDW since we’ll be in FL anyway, I’m getting more excited for the cruise with every passing day but getting less excited for the WDW portion with every passing day, after reading that LL prices are going up again I’m almost at the point of just accepting we won’t go on most of those rides if we can’t get VQs, we can afford it, I just hate feeling like I’m being fleeced, we’ve already decided to drop our DL APs next year to apply that money towards a couple more cruises and some national parks and it’s possible we’ll sacrifice the WDW portion on future trips also, we just feel like our money is better spent nearly anywhere other than the parks now.

Chi84

Premium Member
We’re in a similar situation, we used to go to DL monthly (as local APs) and WDW once or twice a year on average… with all the changes the last few years we now vastly prefer cruising or other vacations.

We are going on a DCL cruise in January and will be spending a few days in WDW since we’ll be in FL anyway, I’m getting more excited for the cruise with every passing day but getting less excited for the WDW portion with every passing day, after reading that LL prices are going up again I’m almost at the point of just accepting we won’t go on most of those rides if we can’t get VQs, we can afford it, I just hate feeling like I’m being fleeced, we’ve already decided to drop our DL APs next year to apply that money towards a couple more cruises and some national parks and it’s possible we’ll sacrifice the WDW portion on future trips also, we just feel like our money is better spent nearly anywhere other than the parks now.
My husband and I probably won’t return to WDW if it’s just the two of us. We went on our first cruise earlier this year (the Fantasy) and immediately booked another cruise.

Vegas Disney Fan

My husband and I probably won’t return to WDW if it’s just the two of us. We went on our first cruise earlier this year (the Fantasy) and immediately booked another cruise.
I did my first DCL cruise in 2022 (my gfs 2nd) and we had so much fun we bought the 10% off voucher before getting off the ship, we’ve bought that offer every cruise since, this will be our 4th DCL cruise in just over 3 years, we also have a Princess Alaska cruise coming up so I’m excited to see how the other lines compare.

In many ways cruising reminds me of pre 2020 Disney, expensive and requires a lot of pre planning but once you step foot on site the planning is done and you can relax and enjoy vacation, now with the constant need to get VQs, return times, mobile orders, etc it’s just a lot harder to relax at the parks now.

Chi84

Premium Member
I did my first DCL cruise in 2022 (my gfs 2nd) and we had so much fun we bought the 10% off voucher before getting off the ship, we’ve bought that offer every cruise since, this will be our 4th DCL cruise in just over 3 years, we also have a Princess Alaska cruise coming up so I’m excited to see how the other lines compare.

In many ways cruising reminds me of pre 2020 Disney, expensive and requires a lot of pre planning but once you step foot on site the planning is done and you can relax and enjoy vacation, now with the constant need to get VQs, return times, mobile orders, etc it’s just a lot harder to relax at the parks now.
We’re going to have our work cut out for us trying to catch up with you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom