Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

MickeyLuv'r

Quick question - we know you can have three rolling LLs with MP, but you can only book a new one when you've used one up. So can you only get three rolling LLs if you've booked your three in advance? For example, if you've only booked one in advance then on the day when you're in the park can you book another two before you've used the first one?
Perhaps, but for now, when you go to book #2 and #3, you would most likely see limited availability. I'm not sure if the system makes you book all 3, but you can cancel your passes.

I played around with that idea a little bit, by canceling one of my prebooked passes to see if that unlocked any availability. Nope. The result was just that I gave up decent 11am pass for something later than 11am.

This was on a day when most of Epcot was near walk-on. Giving up an Imagination LL wasn't a big loss but it didn't change LL availability. It was still very limited. I thought giving up the pass might unlock availability, but it didn't. The only pass that did much of anything that day was our Remy pass. the others were fairly useless, and I was not able to add FEA. At one point in the day, SE had a 25min wait, but when I used mine, the standby wait was not that long.

If anything, in Epcot using LL's could well = extra walking over just doing standby all day. Looking at the total day, LL didn't really help us do more rides, it just coerced us into going where WDW told us to go. Without it, we would have gone where we felt like going.

Purduevian

Perhaps, but for now, when you go to book #2 and #3, you would most likely see limited availability. I'm not sure if the system makes you book all 3, but you can cancel your passes.

I played around with that idea a little bit, by canceling one of my prebooked passes to see if that unlocked any availability. Nope. The result was just that I gave up decent 11am pass for something later than 11am.

This was on a day when most of Epcot was near walk-on. Giving up an Imagination LL wasn't a big loss but it didn't change LL availability. It was still very limited. I thought giving up the pass might unlock availability, but it didn't. The only pass that did much of anything that day was our Remy pass. the others were fairly useless, and I was not able to add FEA. At one point in the day, SE had a 25min wait, but when I used mine, the standby wait was not that long.

If anything, in Epcot using LL's could well = extra walking over just doing standby all day. Looking at the total day, LL didn't really help us do more rides, it just coerced us into going where WDW told us to go. Without it, we would have gone where we felt like going.
So canceling a pre-book can open up availability, in a specific circumstance. Lets say you prebook Frozen, MS, and SSE at EPCOT but really want RAT, but it was sold out.

If you try to modify your Frozen to RAT, you will only see RAT availability that does not overlap with MS or SSE by more that 15 mins. So, if RAT is enough of a priority, it might be worth cancelling MS and SSE prepark visit while hoping some one cancels.

Once in the park it would be worth booking either SSE or MS, then making a burner LL for Nemo/Figment/Pixar at park open and tapping into it ASAP to eliminate this overlap issue.

osian

I'm only considering LLMP for one particular day, when I'm doing some "extreme park hopping" lol! Only want two LLs at the first park so wondering when/if I'd be able to book my third for a different park. Sounds like I'd need an early, burner LL at the first park to unlock the second park.

FigmentFan82

I'm only considering LLMP for one particular day, when I'm doing some "extreme park hopping" lol! Only want two LLs at the first park so wondering when/if I'd be able to book my third for a different park. Sounds like I'd need an early, burner LL at the first park to unlock the second park.
I believe you have to book your first 3 at one park and after using your 1st you can book #4 at another park

Purduevian

I believe you have to book your first 3 at one park and after using your 1st you can book #4 at another park
Not exactly. You can book 1, 2, or 3 at your first park.

Before you tap into your first one, you can only book at the same park and are subject to tier restrictions.

Once you tap into your first LL, all tiers/park hopping restrictions are lifted.

For example, you could book just 1 LL for Remy early in the morning. Once you tap in, you can book RnRC, Space mountain, and Navi River Journey without using another LL in EPCOT.

FigmentFan82

Before you tap into your first one, you can only book at the same park and are subject to tier restrictions.

Once you tap into your first LL, all tiers/park hopping restrictions are lifted.

For example, you could book just 1 LL for Remy early in the morning. Once you tap in, you can book RnRC, Space mountain, and Navi River Journey without using another LL in EPCOT.
Is this tested and proven? When I was in WDW in August I feel like the system didn't allow me to book another tier 1 until I used my existing tier 1 LL. Sometime the system seemed to not let me do things

Purduevian

Is this tested and proven? When I was in WDW in August I feel like the system didn't allow me to book another tier 1 until I used my existing tier 1 LL. Sometime the system seemed to not let me do things
I guess I don't have first hand experience yet, but I do follow 3 separate vloggers/youtubers that all state and have shown in videos that park hopping/tier restrictions "unlock" after using the first LL, regardless of what tier it was.

Edit: There is even a weird "hack" to save money. That you can pay for the AK LL, go rope drop LL use ITTAB at Animal Kingdom. Then book 3 MK tier 1 attractions and still make it by MK rope drop time

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
This is not true.

You only need to book 1 at the time of purchase.

If you pre book more than 1 they must all be at the same park. But there is no requirement to pre book 3.

However many you book, as soon as you tap into one, then all park & tier restrictions are removed.

So if you had prebooked 3 you could modify the remaining 2 to any park / tier.

If you only booked 1 then once you tap in you could book 3, at any park(s) or tiers.

MickeyLuv'r

So canceling a pre-book can open up availability, in a specific circumstance. Lets say you prebook Frozen, MS, and SSE at EPCOT but really want RAT, but it was sold out.

If you try to modify your Frozen to RAT, you will only see RAT availability that does not overlap with MS or SSE by more that 15 mins. So, if RAT is enough of a priority, it might be worth cancelling MS and SSE prepark visit while hoping some one cancels.

Once in the park it would be worth booking either SSE or MS, then making a burner LL for Nemo/Figment/Pixar at park open and tapping into it ASAP to eliminate this overlap issue.
I understand the concept, but I just didn't see that kind of availability. Cancelling your passes is only going to give you a small chance of getting Rat.

Mind, I'm aware of the strategy because it dates back to the days of FP+, and in the last years of FP+, it worked with FP+. With LOTS of refreshing, I was able to get more than 1 FP per hour, and able to get the big rides. I just had to have my phone out all day. (Through every queue, I was refreshing. While I ate lunch, I was refreshing. Between rides, I was refreshing. Making it work required a trade-off.)

In the early days of FP+, refreshing wasn't even an option. the only way to modify a pass once you were in the park was to use a kiosk. It only worked with much-later FP+.

G+ inventory also improved over time. Initially, modifying passes was not an option. Users had to cancel to rebook, and that was risky. I experimented, and had little luck. Later, it got much easier to modify G+ passes, and refreshing worked pretty well.

I'm fully open to the idea of using the no-prebooks/refreshing to get passes. I have been careful - I think - to qualify my posts by saying, 'this was my experience' and 'for now.'

WDW has a history of sharply limiting the total LL/FP inventory when they roll out a new version of their express pass. I can't say that will improve, but given the history, it probably will.

It is also important to add, IME, this strategy tends to work much better on slower days than during busier holiday weeks.

Purduevian

I understand the concept, but I just didn't see that kind of availability. Cancelling your passes is only going to give you a small chance of getting Rat.

Mind, I'm aware of the strategy because it dates back to the days of FP+, and in the last years of FP+, it worked with FP+. With LOTS of refreshing, I was able to get more than 1 FP per hour, and able to get the big rides. I just had to have my phone out all day. (Through every queue, I was refreshing. While I ate lunch, I was refreshing. Between rides, I was refreshing. Making it work required a trade-off.)

In the early days of FP+, refreshing wasn't even an option. the only way to modify a pass once you were in the park was to use a kiosk. It only worked with much-later FP+.

G+ inventory also improved over time. Initially, modifying passes was not an option. Users had to cancel to rebook, and that was risky. I experimented, and had little luck. Later, it got much easier to modify G+ passes, and refreshing worked pretty well.

I'm fully open to the idea of using the no-prebooks/refreshing to get passes. I have been careful - I think - to qualify my posts by saying, 'this was my experience' and 'for now.'

WDW has a history of sharply limiting the total LL/FP inventory when they roll out a new version of their express pass. I can't say that will improve, but given the history, it probably will.

It is also important to add, IME, this strategy tends to work much better on slower days than during busier holiday weeks.
There is no guarantee that canceling your other 2 pre-books will show availability for a specific ride, but it does improve your odds. EPCOT today is open for 12 hours and gives out LLs every 5 mins for 11.5 of those hours (no new LL windows open in the last 30 mins). So, there are 230 different time slots you can get for RAT (9:00am, 9:05am, ect). Each of the other 2 prebooked LLs block 15 of those slots(if you have a 12-1 SEE LL, you can't book a 11:20am-12:40pmRAT). So, without canceling you are hoping someone else cancels RAT in the 200/230 (~87%) slots that are not blocked. If you cancel your other 2 tier 2s, you open up 230/230 slots. So, you give yourself ~13% greater chance at prebooking RAT.

As soon as you tap into your first attraction, all this gets thrown out the window as overlap rules disappear.

jpeden

In the Parks
No

I actually thought of this when I first heard how they were going to roll it out. I mean, I guess if you really want to save some cash you could have one person take everyone's MB's to rope drop AK and then meet at MK and re-distribute them but I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze here.

The simpler thing would be for them to just charge the average across all four parks but they won't ever do that.

I will say I mistakenly (like an idiot) booked my LL passes for the wrong date this morning (we are doing MNSSHP and then a day at EPCOT so I'm not buying LL for the party morning at MK) and I booked EPCOT for the date of the party. I called and they switched it all no issue and even got my Frozen LL at the same time I originally requested - of course I did have to pay the $3.21 difference in days.

nickys

Premium Member
I remember our first onsite visit staying at BC when FPs were paper passes. We didm’t realise you were all supposed to tap in to the parks first. Left eldest son sleeping and headed to Soarin to get a later FP. Of course it wouldn’t give me an FP on DS’s ticket. Luckily a CM took pity on us and got one for him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom