Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

nickys

Premium Member
I am using my day in HS 2 days ago as an example....I didnt go until 3pm......

On Monday, I was able to book SDD, MMRR, TSMM and TOT all in advance of my 3pm arrival by stacking........so under the new system, if it is the same as FP+ where you can only book 1 tier1 and 2 tier2 and cannot book another until you use your first 3

If i had to pre book my rides, I wouldnt be able to get my first ride until 3pm for when I got there (unlike now where you can stack) and then if I was lucky, the other 2 within an hour or 2 of my start time so wouldnt be able to book another ride until 5pm or later.......

by then, all the rides are gone, the drops are finished and I rode SDD, TSMM and Star Tours

So why would I buy Genie+ for that?
We’re assuming it’ll work like FP+?

1. Firstly I probably wouldn’t buy G+ if I wasn’t planning to arrive at a park until 3pm, ignoring length of stay issues.
But I realise not everyone has the luxury of time and if that was my only day in that park then maybe I’d think differently.
I do however sometimes only arrive in a park at 11am or so, so it isn’t like I’m a rope dropper.

2. If I had to use this as a park day I wouldn’t chose DHS if I was arriving at 3pm. I’d likely choose AK. Why? Fewer rides I’d want to do, later drop times (all rides that have drops currently have at least one after 3pm).

3. Assuming Tier 1 was Safari, Everest and Navii - with FoP as an ILL - I’d likely book Safari as my Tier 1 ride.

Since I don’t ride EE, it makes life easier. If it was a warm month I’d probably book Kali. That would be 2 of my advance ones.

As a third I’d probably book a throwaway one for the morning. That would mean as soon as I tapped into Safari and Kali I could book a 3rd LL

Or even better, I’d use one of the other options for maximising Tier 1s.

As I say though, it would depend on a number of factors, including what old FP+ rules were still in force.

Unbanshee

Figgy1

It isnt genie+ on its own causing the the issue, increased DAS use is also part of the problem. Perhaps Disney should go the way of Universal and use a 3rd party that can ask for proof
IMHO Disney legal isn't going to allow it until if/when all the pending suits against both the company and Universal have finished.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It isnt genie+ on its own causing the the issue, increased DAS use is also part of the problem. Perhaps Disney should go the way of Universal and use a 3rd party that can ask for proof

Proof of a disability? I'm sure the ADA forbids such.

MagicHappens1971

I think if challenged, that 3rd party would have an issue.
Possibly. But I don’t think so, you’re “applying” for an identification card. Universal may get into some murky waters as it’s technically a “barrier”. But I guess we’ll see.

FWIW Universal is the first major theme park to use this service.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Possibly. But I don’t think so, you’re “applying” for an identification card. Universal may get into some murky waters as it’s technically a “barrier”. But I guess we’ll see.

Yes, it is. And I'm sure there will be lawsuits flying. Especially from the parents of kids on the spectrum.

nickys

Premium Member
It’s been running there for 6 months. And the scheme itself is a well established one. You’d think any legal challenges would have surfaced by now, surely?

LAKid53

Premium Member
It’s been running there for 6 months. And the scheme itself is a well established one. You’d think any legal challenges would have surfaced by now, surely?

Maybe. It only takes one individual familiar with the law who gets denied because they refused to provide documentation.

nickys

Premium Member
I specifically said that I don’t think the service is going to run in to any issues. I think Universal may. It’s just my opinion
Sorry, yes. I was more responding to the “I guess we’ll see” comment.

I’m sure the same system is used by other theme parks too, and has been for some time.

MagicHappens1971

Sorry, yes. I was more responding to the “I guess we’ll see” comment.

I’m sure the same system is used by other theme parks too, and has been for some time.
It’s only used by regional amusement parks, like Six Flags. Universal is the first major theme park to use this service.

It’s a different circus. My personal opinion is that I think if using this service was bulletproof, Disney & SeaWorld would be using it.

I don’t think Disney will ever use it just from a guest service stand point.

Fido Chuckwagon

Anybody else wish the Genie, Genie+, LL systems went down permanently? No Fastpass or FP+. We'd all have to revert to waiting in line, equally, like we did in the old days. A New Year resolution that is as likely to happen as any other resolution.
You’d still wait in non moving lines while watching everyone with DAS zoom past you in the lightning lanes.

JD80

We’re assuming it’ll work like FP+?

1. Firstly I probably wouldn’t buy G+ if I wasn’t planning to arrive at a park until 3pm, ignoring length of stay issues.
But I realise not everyone has the luxury of time and if that was my only day in that park then maybe I’d think differently.
I do however sometimes only arrive in a park at 11am or so, so it isn’t like I’m a rope dropper.

2. If I had to use this as a park day I wouldn’t chose DHS if I was arriving at 3pm. I’d likely choose AK. Why? Fewer rides I’d want to do, later drop times (all rides that have drops currently have at least one after 3pm).

3. Assuming Tier 1 was Safari, Everest and Navii - with FoP as an ILL - I’d likely book Safari as my Tier 1 ride.

Since I don’t ride EE, it makes life easier. If it was a warm month I’d probably book Kali. That would be 2 of my advance ones.

As a third I’d probably book a throwaway one for the morning. That would mean as soon as I tapped into Safari and Kali I could book a 3rd LL

Or even better, I’d use one of the other options for maximising Tier 1s.

As I say though, it would depend on a number of factors, including what old FP+ rules were still in force.
There is a case to be made that entering at 3pm makes G+ more valuable if you it to its fullest.

If a park opens at 9, by 3pm you'd be booking your 4th LL and just be getting to the park.

Fido Chuckwagon

This isn’t really true. There are far less DAS users than Genie+ sold. It all comes down to the ratios they use for LL to Standby. The ratio would be much much much less if there was no Genie+.
I keep going back to the observations made by @lentesta at Haunted Mansion that involved actually counting the people who were tapping into the LL’s per hour versus how many they know were Genie+. Those observations do not support the idea that Genie+ is making up the bulk of the lightning lanes. It’s DAS, Rider Swap, Golden Oaks, VIP Tours, and Club 33.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom