Lightning Lane at Walt Disney World

Disstevefan1

Possibly........But if they change Genie+ to basically paid FP+, but without the top rides because they are ILL's, then what is the value?

Paying $39pp to ride 1 TIER1 and 2 TERI2 vs standby isnt a big difference if you can only get those 3 rides..........
Yes, IF the standby waits aren't a big difference.

IF it turns out there isn't a big difference, that means they fixed the system or broke the system depending on the point of view.

If the standby waits go down closer to Genie+, in my mind they fixed the system.

If the Genie+ waits go up closer to standby, in my mind they broke the system. I mean, its a broken system now, they just broke it worse I mean.

nickys

Premium Member
There are many unintended consequences to Tiers.....

Drops almost become irrelevant if you have to use your 3 selections before booking another (since you likely will not be able to modify a TIER2 to a TIER1

Afternoon itineraries are completely ruined

Stacking is gone
Drops were 100% relevant lol! Thats why the Touring Plans forum kept track of them. They were priceless.
Well not if you dont go to the parks until the afternoon......for eg, we went to HS at 3pm 2 days ago.........Had SDD, TOT, MMRR and TSMM booked before we got there (by stacking starting at 7am) and got ST and MFSR while there

If they reintroduce Tiers, that would mean I would likely only get 1 Tier1 ride.....drops and stacking become irrelevant

I would reserve SDD, TSMM and maybe Star Tours in advance (1 Tier1 and 2 Teir2) but the earliest return time would be 3pm........So i wouldn't be able to book another ride until (estimated) 5pm, after I use my 3 advanced selections....By then all the Tier 1 rides would be gone

No way I'm paying for that

Genie+ would be MASSIVELY devalued.......drops and stacking become irrelevant

And I think Genie+ sales will suffer.....is Disney willing to shoot the cash cow that they have been bragging about for almost 2 years? the guest spend per person that is way higher?.......I doubt it
People would learn how to use it just like they learned how to use FP+ and G+

Why would return times be 3pm if you booked ahead of time?
Drops happened throughout the day then and still do.

But we don’t yet know how it will work, so this is pointless!

JD80

True........But the point is, they continue to make mistake after mistake........and if they reintroduce tiers, it will be another mistake that is avoidable.........

I wonder if they workshop these scenarios out with any groups in advance to study the unintended consequences

Im glad they keep making changes, as long as they are for the better

But maybe they should get it right to begin with

Systems like this can't be extensively tested enough without them going live. Sometimes there isn't enough time or budget prior to go-live to make the appropriate UI/UX changes or other features.

You should always be making changes, improvements and upgrades.

Saying they updated the system 10 times isn't some crazy thing, especially in software.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Systems like this can't be extensively tested enough without them going live. Sometimes there isn't enough time or budget prior to go-live to make the appropriate UI/UX changes or other features.

You should always be making changes, improvements and upgrades.

Saying they updated the system 10 times isn't some crazy thing, especially in software.
ah yes the agile world of project management

build something and go live as quick as possible + then fix something wrong because it wasn't thought through or architected right to begin with + rinse and repeat x 10 or more + finally realize how it should have been built and deployed in the first place because it's finally been thought through by now + make it what it should have been initially if more time was spent up front

= additional time and cost which no one seems to realize because some are too busy celebrating the first junk release of something and have moved onto the next project to do the same thing

$ucce$$!

TQQQ

Yes, IF the standby waits aren't a big difference.

IF it turns out there isn't a big difference, that means they fixed the system or broke the system depending on the point of view.

If the standby waits go down closer to Genie+, in my mind they fixed the system.

If the Genie+ waits go up closer to standby, in my mind they broke the system. I mean, its a broken system now, they just broke it worse I mean.
Yeah I agree that its a bigger problem........BUT, to lessen the impact of pay for ride system, they should adopt some kind of hybrid that had the benefits of FP+ (pre booking, no 7am wake up) vs benefits of Genie+ (day of selections, more even distribution of inventory)
Drops were 100% relevant lol! Thats why the Touring Plans forum kept track of them. They were priceless.

People would learn how to use it just like they learned how to use FP+ and G+

Why would return times be 3pm if you booked ahead of time?
Drops happened throughout the day then and still do.

But we don’t yet know how it will work, so this is pointless!
Yes I agree........I am using my day in HS 2 days ago as an example....I didnt go until 3pm......

On Monday, I was able to book SDD, MMRR, TSMM and TOT all in advance of my 3pm arrival by stacking........so under the new system, if it is the same as FP+ where you can only book 1 tier1 and 2 tier2 and cannot book another until you use your first 3

If i had to pre book my rides, I wouldnt be able to get my first ride until 3pm for when I got there (unlike now where you can stack) and then if I was lucky, the other 2 within an hour or 2 of my start time so wouldnt be able to book another ride until 5pm or later.......

by then, all the rides are gone, the drops are finished and I rode SDD, TSMM and Star Tours

So why would I buy Genie+ for that?

Jrb1979

build something and go live as quick as possible + then fix something wrong because it wasn't thought through or architected right to begin with + rinse and repeat x 10 or more + finally realize how it should have been built and deployed in the first place because it's finally been thought through by now + make it what it should have been initially if more time was spent up front

= additional time and cost which no one seems to realize because some are too busy celebrating the first junk release of something and have moved onto the next project to do the same thing

$ucce$$!
I disagree. It has nothing to do with pre-booking or having to zig zag across the park. It's broken cause too many people buy it each day. From what many have said from the beginning was Genie+ was best when only 25% of guests per day used it. At that number there would be availability all day and the 7 am complaint wouldn't be an issue.

Awhile ago I'm sure I saw a post mentioning Disney capping sales on Genie+. They never really went through with it, at least not the extent of dropping usage to 25%. I'm sure if they rose it to $100 a person it would cut usage enough to make it better and also keep the profit they love from it.

JD80

$ucce$$!

Nearly every software company does this.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I disagree. It has nothing to do with pre-booking or having to zig zag across the park. It's broken cause too many people buy it each day. From what many have said from the beginning was Genie+ was best when only 25% of guests per day used it. At that number there would be availability all day and the 7 am complaint wouldn't be an issue.

Awhile ago I'm sure I saw a post mentioning Disney capping sales on Genie+. They never really went through with it, at least not the extent of dropping usage to 25%. I'm sure if they rose it to $100 a person it would cut usage enough to make it better and also keep the profit they love from it.
the LL fastpass whatever they want to call it is broken because they don't have enough attractions and people used to get FP free. It works better in Disneyland than in Disney World

G+ was broken even more at the beginning

stepjune28

As someone who visits WDW about every 3-4 years, I would consider buying Genie+ at its current price with tiers IF only the pre-trip bookings have tiers and IF I am able to stack bookings without using all my pre-booked LLs first.

I would only consider buying it with tiers AND needing to use all pre-bookings before getting a new LL if the price is reduced from what it is now.

If that doesn't happen, I would probably just pre-book ILLs, and skip Genie+. Or maybe I would buy it but only pre-book 1 Tier 1 ride and not do multiple pre-trip bookings (if that is an option.)

I am hopeful that the announcement will be one with some positives that make it worth it to purchase on our next trip. The wait is killing me though, I wish they would just announce the changes!!!

mattpeto

I kind of agree with @TQQQ. Nobody is paying to skip the lines at Disney Jr. Dance Party.

If you enjoy skipping lines, there is good value in the product now. Add Tiers will make it murky.

I'd personally keep the system we have but give resort guests 7 days prior (and rolling) to pre-purchase, select the first Genie+ and pre-buy ILL. But it'd be rolling. Each day you'd have to do the same thing. Treat it like a non resort guest with ADRs. It sucks waking up before the trip, but way better to handle that when I'm on the ground.

TQQQ

As someone who visits WDW about every 3-4 years, I would consider buying Genie+ at its current price with tiers IF only the pre-trip bookings have tiers and IF I am able to stack bookings without using all my pre-booked LLs first.

I would only consider buying it with tiers AND needing to use all pre-bookings before getting a new LL if the price is reduced from what it is now.

If that doesn't happen, I would probably just pre-book ILLs, and skip Genie+. Or maybe I would buy it but only pre-book 1 Tier 1 ride and not do multiple pre-trip bookings (if that is an option.)

I am hopeful that the announcement will be one with some positives that make it worth it to purchase on our next trip. The wait is killing me though, I wish they would just announce the changes!!!
Agree.....I think most people will just spend the $ on ILL's and skip Genie+ if that is indeed the rules

TQQQ

I kind of agree with @TQQQ. Nobody is paying to skip the lines at Disney Jr. Dance Party.

If you enjoy skipping lines, there is good value in the product now. Add Tiers will make it murky.

I'd personally keep the system we have but give resort guests 7 days prior (and rolling) to pre-purchase, select the first Genie+ and pre-buy ILL. But it'd be rolling. Each day you'd have to do the same thing. Treat it like a non resort guest with ADRs. It sucks waking up before the trip, but way better to handle that when I'm on the ground.
I like this version and I think it would work and guests will be happy with it, both resort and day guests

Jrb1979

the LL fastpass whatever they want to call it is broken because they don't have enough attractions and people used to get FP free. It works better in Disneyland than in Disney World

G+ was broken even more at the beginning
We all know more attractions aren't coming any time soon. Everything they do is just rearranging the deck chairs. IMO the only option to make it work is limit Genie+ sales. That way those who buy it get good use of it and it should help standby not crawl so much.

MaryJaneP

Anybody else wish the Genie, Genie+, LL systems went down permanently? No Fastpass or FP+. We'd all have to revert to waiting in line, equally, like we did in the old days. A New Year resolution that is as likely to happen as any other resolution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom