Liberty Tree Tavern closing in July for near 5 month refurbishment.

prberk

because it was fished all the time and blocked the fishing nets that were designed for fish?

Its always funny to see the pattern of what is considered "luxurious" and a "delicacy".

That is true. Barbecued spare ribs came largely from the creativity of slaves and freedmen making the best of the leftovers after their owners or the rich were served the ham and pork chops.

I think it is often that we find that the "poor" find creative ways to make things delicious or useful that are scraps to society's "rich." Then eventually the "rich" find out about it, and sometimes it takes off. Like they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention."

I also care to see a little of bit of grace in it, too: Even when all else fails us, we often find a useful remnant that otherwise we would not have noticed. And, of course, even the "poor" can be rich in spirit, and vice-versa.

prberk

By the way, does everyone else know that the windows in the Liberty Tree were made from original glass-making methods, to be authentic? They are wavy and impure, and would shatter if broken. NOT plexiglass like everywhere else. Just for the authentic look and feel.

One of the details that made me appreciate the original intentions of the imagineers so much.

wannabeBelle

By the way, does everyone else know that the windows in the Liberty Tree were made from original glass-making methods, to be authentic? They are wavy and impure, and would shatter if broken. NOT plexiglass like everywhere else. Just for the authentic look and feel.

One of the details that made me appreciate the original intentions of the imagineers so much.
Yup I learned this one on one of the times I did the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. Pretty awesome!!! Marie

Cesar R M

That is true. Barbecued spare ribs came largely from the creativity of slaves and freedmen making the best of the leftovers after their owners or the rich were served the ham and pork chops.

I think it is often that we find that the "poor" find creative ways to make things delicious or useful that are scraps to society's "rich." Then eventually the "rich" find out about it, and sometimes it takes off. Like they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention."

I also care to see a little of bit of grace in it, too: Even when all else fails us, we often find a useful remnant that otherwise we would not have noticed. And, of course, even the "poor" can be rich in spirit, and vice-versa.
Thats exactly what happened with the Lobster, from trash.. then someone guy invented ways to eat them.. got people interested. Then tried to make them more productive (the lobsters), ended killing too many and they started to become more scarce.. thus raising the price.
Mere decades later.. the Lobster went from slave and prisoner food, to a delicacy for the rich.

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/business-economics/how-lobster-got-fancy-59440/

sometimes its the opposite..as well
something that is very expensive things, were cheapened by mass production..and become popular.. were no longer used as "luxury" things by the rich, thus not "popular".
I remember reading the history of the plastic fake tiles used in the 1800's. The rich used very expensive oriental rugs, until someone made very expensive but very decorative floor plastic tiles.
They were then used by the Rich and were wildly popular on them. Then an inventor made possible the massproduction and cheapening of these tiles... Thus the rich trashed them and went back to their expensive rugs.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thats exactly what happened with the Lobster, from trash.. then someone guy invented ways to eat them.. got people interested. Then tried to make them more productive (the lobsters), ended killing too many and they started to become more scarce.. thus raising the price.
Mere decades later.. the Lobster went from slave and prisoner food, to a delicacy for the rich.

something that is very expensive things, were cheapened by mass production..and become popular.. were no longer used as "luxury" things by the rich, thus not "popular".
I remember reading the history of the plastic fake tiles used in the 1800's. The rich used very expensive oriental rugs, until someone made very expensive but very decorative floor plastic tiles.
They were then used by the Rich and were wildly popular on them. Then an inventor made possible the massproduction and cheapening of these tiles... Thus the rich trashed them and went back to their expensive rugs.

Thanks for the thoughts and a link to a great 'Zine.

prberk

Great comments. Doesn't it all remind you, in a way, of the silliness of most high school politics -- you know, once "everyone else" likes it, it's not cool anymore? And vice versa for some kids ("I didn't like it until I found out my friends thought it was cool").

Human nature and the way we treat what we think is "cool" or "avante guarde" is funny. Just funny.

Meanwhile, I'll take some hot butter with that lobster... and a dry rub with my ribs, please! And I don't mind if I have to sit at the servants' table...

I do have a pop quiz, though, on related dinner table trivia. You will win the internet if you can answer this historic question:
  • Where did we get the phrase, "making ends meet," and what does it have to do with rich people and the dinner table?
You are on your honor NOT to look it up on Google or any other source. Just honest anwers...

Last edited:

fgkik

First comment?! That seems like an awfully long time. Re-theme?
hu12uk1.jpg
107.gif

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Another example is Aluminum, At one time Al was more expensive than gold or platinum and the very rich had Aluminum cutlery, Then ALCOA made primary aluminum cheap and well ...

bhg469

Great comments. Doesn't it all remind you, in a way, of the silliness of most high school politics -- you know, once "everyone else" likes it, it's not cool anymore? And vice versa for some kids ("I didn't like it until I found out my friends thought it was cool").

Human nature and the way we treat what we think is "cool" or "avante guarde" is funny. Just funny.

Meanwhile, I'll take some hot butter with that lobster... and a dry rub with my ribs, please! And I don't mind if I have to sit at the servants' table...

I do have a pop quiz, though, on related dinner table trivia. You will win the internet if you can answer this historic question:
  • Where did we get the phrase, "making ends meet," and what does it have to do with rich people and the dinner table?
You are on your honor NOT to look it up on Google or any other source. Just honest anwers...
With a few exceptions, the servants table was the place to be. I actually contemplated something similar to that last night when giving my dog a bite of my hush puppy. I explained to him that this was originally meant for him and how I was actually eating his food. He just tilted his head and drooled a little but I think he got the concept.

GrumpyFan

I saw this on another site this morning. The first part sounds like it could be legitimate, but the second part just sounds completely made up or mixed with some other rumors. Does anything in this ring true?

In other news, you may have noticed a new lengthy rehab is also planned for the Liberty Tree Tavern that will see the restaurant closed for almost 5 months (July 6 to Nov. 20). I'm told that the focus of the work here isn't on the restaurant itself, but rather a complete redesign of the kitchen area that will transform it into a new multi-use kitchen area that will service not only the Liberty Tree Tavern, but an all new restaurant concept planned to open in the old Verandah space at the entrance to Adventureland. This is apparently the main reason why Tinker Bell was moved out of the building and sent to her new Main Street digs.
While the concept may still be a bit fluid, the overall concept from what I understand is that it will be themed to tie into the Jungle Cruise theme. In short... imagine a crazy Adventureland themed restaurant staffed by the Jungle Cruise Captains as a way to pay the bills when they are in-between jobs, and to expand their bad comedy into the realm of the culinary arts.

doctornick

I feel like have read about an "Adventurer's Club" themed dining in the Veranda, so this seems like it might be in line with that. I also feel like there was talk about having a Club 33 type operation in the Veranda (or at least part of the Veranda?).

I know there was a previous thread about the refurb of the Liberty Tree Tavern and some people commented that it could be tied to preparing the Veranda or the Diamond Horseshoe for food service.

Rasvar

I think the Adventureland restaurant is a possibility assuming the kitchen info is true. The Verandah is very much wasted space used for special events and meet and greets right now. Adventureland is very underserved in the food area. That is a significant space that could be redone for another character meal location (which I think would be more likely than a tie to the Jungle Cruise).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom