Liberty Square River Boat Refurb

PoTCGuy

marni1971 said:
Disney magic huh? Funnily enough, the Swan Boats in the hub used to be on a track too - I`ve recently dug up a picture showing the tracks under the surface.

I'd like to see that. Love this "behind the scenes" stuff! Could you post the pic or the link?

Thanks!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As soon as I`ve scanned it :D

edit...as soon as I`ve found it again. It`s in a book I`ve been looknig at recently. Now which one....

disneydata

edwardtc said:
I believe you're combining the Jungle Cruise and the Riverboat - but I could be wrong. The Jungle Cruise boats navigate by the use of a guide bar that extends downward and into a slotted trench/trough in the concrete river bed.

The Riverboat simply uses the rail you see in the above photos. The "trench" that people are referring to is, like someone said, simply the lowest point of the concrete river bed. It appears that the main purpose of having a "lowest point", instead of a flat river bed, is to help with draining the river to certain outlet points. And from the looks of the photos, the trench is obviously working because all the leftover water is sitting in it.
No, I'm not getting them confused. I have VERY reliable sources in Liberty Square that I trust.

And I know how the JC system works ... I have pictures of it from before it was open and they were still building it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
disneydata said:
And I know how the JC system works ... I have pictures of it from before it was open and they were still building it.

Any chance of a post? Whilst I STILL look for my Swan Boat track pic?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Found it (phew) - possibly more of a channel than of a track?

Attachments

• Swan boat tracklores.jpg
    Swan boat tracklores.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 359

yensidtlaw1969

Once when the Rivers of America was drained at Disneyland and they found a toaster in it :lookaroun .

What do you think we'll find in ours?

Yensid "I'm serious. I just wanna know how someone got a toaster into Disneyland!" tlaw1969

Chape19714

yensidtlaw1969 said:
Once when the Rivers of America was drained at Disneyland and they found a toaster in it :lookaroun .

What do you think we'll find in ours?

Yensid "I'm serious. I just wanna know how someone got a toaster into Disneyland!" tlaw1969

Apprently, "The Brave Little Toaster goes to Disneyland" was never realeased due to an unhappy ending. :p :lookaroun

Thanks for clearing that up!

ballewclan

marni1971 said:
Found it (phew) - possibly more of a channel than of a track?

Wow...i never even knew a boat went through there. :lookaroun Is this well known?

If it was taken out a long time ago then i wont remember it because I'm only 15...when was it taken out? Or is it still running and im just stupid? :hammer:

disneydata

marni1971 said:
Any chance of a post? Whilst I STILL look for my Swan Boat track pic?
Unfortunately, the ones I have here are in confidential docs ... but I do have two at work that aren't so I just need to scan them in after I bring them home tomorrow.

As for items in the RoA. There are at least 2 pargos, most likely tons of turkey leg bones, clothing (and nametags) galore, change, cell phones. To put it in perspective, the last time the Jungle Cruise was drained they found over $180 in change, cell phones and sunglasses out the wazoo, costume pieces, Nextels, and so much more. This was twice as long and the river is so much larger.

Oh, and it was my mistake that the riverboat does in fact only run on a steel H-rail. I checked the OG today.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
I think that if there is any adavance knowledge as to a drain date we need to have a board meet at the park. Could be fun....hang out.....watch the draining.....then head over to epcot to the rose & crown and do some draining of our own.:D

Seriously though, good enough reason for a meet I think.

yensidtlaw1969

Chape19714 said:
Apprently, "The Brave Little Toaster goes to Disneyland" was never realeased due to an unhappy ending. :p :lookaroun

Thanks for clearing that up!
You know, I always wondered why that fell through. Guess that would be why. Maybe if they just fixed the ending -- it was a nice little story, with much more heart than anything else Disney has released lately.

Yensid "Um,:lookaroun , yeah" tlaw1969

Chape19714

I think that if there is any adavance knowledge as to a drain date we need to have a board meet at the park. Could be fun....hang out.....watch the draining.....then head over to epcot to the rose & crown and do some draining of our own.

Seriously though, good enough reason for a meet I think.

That would be neat...A very "different" reason to have a meet, most people meet for christmas, new rides, new shows, etc. But this is definately worth it!

MagliteL13

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet (so I'm sorry if this is a repeat) but the Riverboat rehab has been extended till Summer 2006. That's now what's being 'broadcast' (literally) to CMs at the Magic Kingdom.

Tom

Beta Return
disneydata said:
Oh, and it was my mistake that the riverboat does in fact only run on a steel H-rail. I checked the OG today.

Whew, glad to know I'm not completely losing my mind....completely. :hammer:I was really studying those pics and my others of the drained river to figure out how in the heck a trough could be used, to no avail. Thanks for the clarification Data!

MagliteL13 said:
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet (so I'm sorry if this is a repeat) but the Riverboat rehab has been extended till Summer 2006. That's now what's being 'broadcast' (literally) to CMs at the Magic Kingdom.

Well, it's not really a secret or just being broadcast to the CMs on the inside - it's also posted on the www.disneyworld.com Calendar - that and Pirates are officially listed to be closed during our June 18-25 trip :(

PintoColvig

Mecha Figment said:
Honestly though.. do we really need to bring it back. it was really boring.

Outside of the Mississippi or Ohio Rivers, where else can you board and ride a paddlewheel boat?!! My kids (ages 3 and 5) love it. My wife and I love it. The sound of the whistle...the movement of that huge white boat...I can't imagine Liberty Square and Frontierland without it! Even now, while the rehab is underway, something seems to be "off" with the atmosphere of that part of the park.

I'm disappointed, really, that the Riverboat will be closed until June. It was closed in Dec. when I was last down there but thought, "Hey, at least I'll get to go in May!" Oh, well. :cry:

:confused: A Question (or four): Other than the obvious reason of getting all the trash, why will they drain the RoA? Will this help with the rehab of the riverboat? How long will they leave the river drained? Can I expect it to still be drained the first week of May?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A Question (or four): Other than the obvious reason of getting all the trash, why will they drain the RoA? Will this help with the rehab of the riverboat?
I`d imagine they`d take the opportunity to clear out the rubbish, check the state of the riverbed and track, and do general maintainence. Easier to do with no boat!

I`ve a question (or 2) for all you Rivers of America area CM's - presumably the Liberty needs to be removed beyond the lock gates behind BTM before the water is emptied? If so, would it just reside here, at the head of the EWP canal, or be taken to the dry dock on Bay Lake (I assume this is the only place the boat can be totally out of the water?) - this being the case, how does it manage going from a thethered vessel to a free floating one?

Also, is the RoA water pumped out? If so where to and where is the pumping station? This particularly highlights the forward thinking when Phase One was constructed! I'd also assume that to refill the river, the pumps are reversed, rather than opening the lock gates slightly? Or are they used as a sluice gate?

A bit technical, I know, but thats me! Thanks :D

MagliteL13

marni1971 said:
I`ve a question (or 2) for all you Rivers of America area CM's - presumably the Liberty needs to be removed beyond the lock gates behind BTM before the water is emptied? If so, would it just reside here, at the head of the EWP canal, or be taken to the dry dock on Bay Lake (I assume this is the only place the boat can be totally out of the water?) - this being the case, how does it manage going from a thethered vessel to a free floating one?
She'll be towed to dry dock on Bay Lake for work. A date has been set, but I don't remember it off the top of my head (and I'm not sure it's something I'm allowed to say anyways).

marni1971 said:
Also, is the RoA water pumped out? If so where to and where is the pumping station? This particularly highlights the forward thinking when Phase One was constructed! I'd also assume that to refill the river, the pumps are reversed, rather than opening the lock gates slightly? Or are they used as a sluice gate?

The hell if I know! :) I'll ask around though--eventually--once I get back in town. Maybe someone else will chime in before me.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
MagliteL13 said:
She'll be towed to dry dock on Bay Lake for work. A date has been set, but I don't remember it off the top of my head (and I'm not sure it's something I'm allowed to say anyways).

Ah - towed. Thanks! If anyone sees this and grabs a snap that`ll be a picture that`ll be up there with The Contemporarys Monorail doors!

MagliteL13 said:
The hell if I know! :) I'll ask around though--eventually--once I get back in town. Maybe someone else will chime in before me.

:lol: It`s verging on the geeky (but don`t we all sometimes) but the more I think about it the more interesting it is. Especially for something only done once a decade or less. Cheers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom