Liberty Square River Boat Refurb

yensidtlaw1969

Well, if it doesn't come bacl online due to damage, if ti looks cosmeticly presentable I'd like them to atleast park it in the Rivers of America just for show, somewhat like that ship at the American Adventure was like. Never really did anything, but added to the Atmosphere of the area.

Yensid "I still hope for it to return, though." tlaw1969

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There's one picture that look like there's a ditch next to the track. What is the ditch looking thing? It doesn't seem to go all the way around the river .:veryconfu
ROA-01Thumb.jpg

yensidtlaw1969

unkadug said:
There's one picture that look like there's a ditch next to the track. What is the ditch looking thing? It doesn't seem to go all the way around the river .:veryconfu
ROA-01Thumb.jpg
It's just water that either wasn't drained or was the result of rain. Looking at it closely, I can see how it does look somewhat trench-like.

Yensid "Illusions are fun!" tlaw1969

BwanaBob

unkadug said:
ROA-01Thumb.jpg
It's not a ditch. It just happens to be the lowest point of the "river" valley. The track was not placed directly in the center of the dredge. It does go all the way around... just may not be as noticable in some parts vs. others.

napnet

unkadug said:

Probably for dranage since it looks like its the lowest part.

disneydata

That trough is part of the guide system. Since the Riverboat is so massive, it requires the use of both a rail and a trough to keep it in line. Neither of the two systems is strong enough. It is weird that some of those 80s pics the trough isin't there, but that's how it's run now.

I know it's been at least 10 years since the last drain of the Rivers of America.

bayoutinkbelle

My son will be saddened by this news. Looks like we'll miss this on our May trip. I concur with many folks who have expressed their love for the boat. It was a great experience and not just for us adults. My son is 12 and he loves stuff like this. It took me forever to get him off the island last summer (those caves provide a GREAT cool spot during hot summer days!). :)

disney9752

from the described location of the riverboat i hope they move it soon. i'm sure there is somewhere on bay lake that it could be docked until a dry dock space is available for it. from where it is said to be located the riverboat is in a prime location to be damaged by fallout from fireworks over MK. I hope some mgr has the sense to move it before damage is done after it has supposedly been fixed up since it was taken out of use in september. Btw, last time i personally saw the rivers of america drained was in 1996 i belive when the riverboat was out for a major rehab to become the liberty belle. wow was it nasty, turkey leg bones, & all kinds of trash in there. no where nearly as clean as the pics that have been posted.

SpaceRacer2003

The fallout on the Frontierland side of the park is not that bad on a normal night. Even when the riverboat is operation, she is in the fallout zone. So much like the WDWRR she is closed during WISHES. She is safer in the wet dock area then being moored up over by the drydock waiting for the berth.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
ballewclan said:
Thanks!

:eek::eek::eek:

WHOA, i had no idea that the boat was on a "track"...those pictures are so cool!!

Disney magic huh? Funnily enough, the Swan Boats in the hub used to be on a track too - I`ve recently dug up a picture showing the tracks under the surface.

Tom

Beta Return
disneydata said:
That trough is part of the guide system. Since the Riverboat is so massive, it requires the use of both a rail and a trough to keep it in line. Neither of the two systems is strong enough. It is weird that some of those 80s pics the trough isin't there, but that's how it's run now.

I know it's been at least 10 years since the last drain of the Rivers of America.

I believe you're combining the Jungle Cruise and the Riverboat - but I could be wrong. The Jungle Cruise boats navigate by the use of a guide bar that extends downward and into a slotted trench/trough in the concrete river bed.

The Riverboat simply uses the rail you see in the above photos. The "trench" that people are referring to is, like someone said, simply the lowest point of the concrete river bed. It appears that the main purpose of having a "lowest point", instead of a flat river bed, is to help with draining the river to certain outlet points. And from the looks of the photos, the trench is obviously working because all the leftover water is sitting in it.

Tom

Beta Return
marni1971 said:
Disney magic huh? Funnily enough, the Swan Boats in the hub used to be on a track too - I`ve recently dug up a picture showing the tracks under the surface.
Are you gonna share this pic with us? :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom