Liberty Square River Boat Refurb

GenerationX

There aren't really any interesting sights on the cruise and the ship itself is less than exciting. It would be cool if the Liberty Belle came back from rehab as a pirate ship. Or, maybe it could come back as a destroyer ... you could shoot "cannons" of light (similarly to Buzz) and get points for every evil guest you hit. You could reserve the top deck for the people who'd rather not play and just want the ride to remain the exceedingly dull trek it is now.

Tom

Beta Return
GenerationX said:
There aren't really any interesting sights on the cruise and the ship itself is less than exciting. It would be cool if the Liberty Belle came back from rehab as a pirate ship. Or, maybe it could come back as a destroyer ... you could shoot "cannons" of light (similarly to Buzz) and get points for every evil guest you hit. You could reserve the top deck for the people who'd rather not play and just want the ride to remain the exceedingly dull trek it is now.

I don't think the point of the riverboat was to be a thrill ride or boat adventure. That wasn't Walt's idea for, well, anything. It tells a story, just like ALL Disney rides and attractions do (or should). You learn about Mark Twain, and how paddle-wheelers navigated. You hear stories. You see scenes that tell the story of time. If you're simply there to be entertained and thrilled 100% of the time, perhaps Universal or 6 Flags is more up your alley.

I, for one, love the Riverboat and am sad that it may be down when we go in June. I could take trip after trip around the river, standing at the rail on the top deck, listening to the narrator do his spiel. But that's just me, I guess.

Simba1

To clear up any confusion on the matter, the Riverboat WILL be back, the Rivers of America will be drained sometime in the near future AND when the Riverboat gets back, I've heard that it will be in better condition than it was in 1971. (Not a rumor, these are all things I learned to be true today.)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
hakunamatata said:
There is a canal between Frontierland and Mickeys Toon Town that the boat has been moored in. I wish I had taken a pic of it last week. You can see it from the RailRoad.

Huh? The only canal there is the northern RCID canal that has no access to it. Do you mean it`s behind BTM?

how do they take the boat out of a river which is sealed on both sides?!

It`s not sealed; the lock gates can open to let the boat out (the WDW Railroad Bridge north of BTM rotates open; some trivia - this bridge was actually bought in Tampa in 1970 & transplanted here)

Here`s the canal (lock gates behind Big Thundermountain)

Attachments

• Rivers of America lock satellite.jpg
    Rivers of America lock satellite.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 164

Tracks N Slabs

marni1971 said:
some trivia - this bridge was actually bought in Tampa in 1970 & transplanted here)

Actually the bridge came from the Florida East Coast Railway. The FEC never ran through Tampa. However, the WDWRR engines did go through restoration there, in Tampa.

The bridge once spanned the Wabaso River, on Florida's east coast, as a dual track mainline bridge. It was purchased, relocated and restored. Once in the hands of WED, the bridge was cut in half and new tracks laid to re-gauge the bridge to accomadate the narrow gauge WDWRR engines. The only pieces that were built new for the bridge are the base the bridge sits on, and the housing for the "swing" gears used to turn the bridge out of the Liberty Belle's (or the Keelboat's, when they were operating) way as she travels between the park and wet dock.

gboiler1

This is one attraction I've never tried but my daughter who was 5 at the time loved it when Papa took her while Mom, Dad and Grandma did HM. I've seen some of the scenes from the train, but really need to take the circuit myself. I'd like to see some more AA, ala Jungle Cruise to make the West a little wilder ride visually.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Tracks N Slabs said:
Actually the bridge came from the Florida East Coast Railway. The FEC never ran through Tampa. However, the WDWRR engines did go through restoration there, in Tampa..

Ah - thank you! My muddled memory. And what a great way to welcome you to WDWMagic; I think we know each other from fortwildernessrr.com

pcf1385

Original Poster
Hey thanks all for the info :kiss: What I'm still wondering though is if there are any rumors about anything new being added to the boat or the river bank scences. If there isn't, that's fine because I love the boat, I'm just curious.

elle72688

hakunamatata said:
There is a canal between Frontierland and Mickeys Toon Town that the boat has been moored in. I wish I had taken a pic of it last week. You can see it from the RailRoad.
Here is a pic for you
PA040015.jpg

BwanaBob

Anyone else notice how park operations has turned off many of the show scenes along the river-path?

Most noticeably... the burning cabin.
Many of the audio effects are missing as well.

(no sense in running them if no-one quite knows why they're supposed to be running, I guess. That and $$$ for the gas in the cabin. )

Need to keep this thread updated when they begin the draining!...
Just missed the last time they did it.

Tom

Beta Return
BwanaBob said:
Anyone else notice how park operations has turned off many of the show scenes along the river-path?

Most noticeably... the burning cabin.
Many of the audio effects are missing as well.

(no sense in running them if no-one quite knows why they're supposed to be running, I guess. That and $$$ for the gas in the cabin. )

Just missed the last time they did it.

I'm bummed that it's supposed to still be down when we go in late June - but if it's still drained then, that would make up for it! I'm not hopeful for either though.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
BwanaBob said:

LOL.....I could think of only two reason for this Bob:

1. For those of us crazy enough to want to see it...

OR....

2. For CM's to start passing out Happiest Celebration on Earth gas masks.:D

It will be interesting to see it after all this time though. It was bizarre to watch the Modern Marvels WDW episode last month and see the river, dry as a bone with a pickup truck and other equipment in it.:wave:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
When was the last time it was drained? I know it was done in 1980, but when since? I don`t recall it being done for Splash.

peter11435

marni1971 said:
When was the last time it was drained? I know it was done in 1980, but when since? I don`t recall it being done for Splash.
I was under the impression it was drained sometime in the early 90's but I could be wrong.

napnet

Simba1 said:
To clear up any confusion on the matter, the Riverboat WILL be back, the Rivers of America will be drained sometime in the near future AND when the Riverboat gets back, I've heard that it will be in better condition than it was in 1971. (Not a rumor, these are all things I learned to be true today.)

The Liberty Belle (Richard F. Irvine at the time) opened in '73.. Admiral Joe Fowler was the boat in 1971

Coastieboy00 said:
Work was being done on it the last two days. It will be down for a while. Waiting for a space in Dry Dock is what I have heard.

Hopefully they wont drop it like they did the Admiral... it was dropped by a crane when moving it to dry dock in 80... I'm sure the'll be more carefull wiht the Liberty Belle!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom