Lesser Known Magical Experiences

dxwwf3

Some of these I'm going to list are personal and wouldn't translate to others. This is actually closer to my favorite non-headlining things to do, but here they are anyways:

General:
Get in any WDW bus for the first time during a trip headed to a park
Walking from the Polynesian to Grand Floridian
Walking along the Boardwalk to the ESPN Club
Spending time at Port Orleans Riverside and taking the boat to Downtown Disney

Magic Kingdom:
Enjoy the smells of the Confectionery
Listen to ragtime piano player at Casey's
Eat my Dole Whip in the area to the immediate left of Aloha Isle (covered area)
Use the walkway that connects the Tiki Room and the Country Bear Jamboree
Listen to the Splash Mountain area loop along the exit of the attraction
Sit in the Hall of Presidents lobby around the Presidential Seal
Sit upstairs at the Columbia Harbor House to get away from it all
Listen to the TTA audio and reminisce
Walk around the park while SpectroMagic is going on (The music filling the air)

Epcot:
Listening to the entrance loop at night while exiting the park
Going into Innoventions to get on the internet
Sit around at Sunshine Seasons listening to the Living With The Land queue/exit music while waiting for Soarin Fastpasses
Walking around World Showcase at night before Illuminations
Look around at the exhibits in the American Adventure lobby
Walk deep into the Moroccan pavilion and get lost in the atmosphere

Studios:
Spend any time in the Tower of Terror queue when the mist is working
Walk down Sunset Boulevard as fast as possible first thing after you enter the park
Eat a burger at the Backlot Express and sit in the section closest to Star Tours
Walk around the almost never used Muppet Vision 3D queue area to the right of the entrance
Walk down New York Street during the Osbourne Lights
Watch the TV loop at the 50's Prime Time Cafe
Walk into Fantasmic about 5 minutes until showtime, watch from the Standing Room only section to the right, and be one of the first ones out after it's over.

Animal Kingdom:
Walk around the park during at night, especially the Tree of Life trails (Extra Magic Hours are about the only time you can do this)
Ride Expedition Everest and Kali River Rapids at night
Eat at Flame Tree BBQ at the area that overlooks Everest
Sit in Restaurantosaurus and listen to the area loop
Be in the park during the last hour of operation and catch one of the last Safari's of the day

danpam1024

On our LAST day, we go to DTD, grab lunch from Earl of Sandwich, and a margarita, and sit at one of the tables down by the marina, on the dock. It's just one of those things that peaceful and relaxing and totally Disney.

We also like to grab a couple of pastries from the Main Street Bakery and sit by Casey's and watch the influx of people, and the morning stage show.

brucie

WOW Such great Ideas!! We are headed there in Sept, thanks to Free Dining. There is so much here I want to do. Wake up tinkerbell, Watch Candy get made in Epcot, Do a monorail tour of the resorts. we are going with a couple who have never been before so I don't know how much extra we will be able to do. But taking a day and seeing all of the Resorts sound Awesome. I would just have to talk my DW into doing it. She does not share my Love of Disney, although she enjoys it it's not the same to her. And she continually tells me that this will be our last time as she wants to go to other places like Europe and so on. Who needs Europe, that's what World Showcase is for.:)

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
WOW Such great Ideas!! We are headed there in Sept, thanks to Free Dining. There is so much here I want to do. Wake up tinkerbell, Watch Candy get made in Epcot, Do a monorail tour of the resorts. we are going with a couple who have never been before so I don't know how much extra we will be able to do. But taking a day and seeing all of the Resorts sound Awesome. I would just have to talk my DW into doing it. She does not share my Love of Disney, although she enjoys it it's not the same to her. And she continually tells me that this will be our last time as she wants to go to other places like Europe and so on. Who needs Europe, that's what World Showcase is for.:)

It's easy to NOT plan time to do these things. I'm planning a trip right now for my brother and his family, and I'm guessing that he thinks that some of these 'other' activities are wasted time.

We know this is not true. The magic can happen by watching the faces on the kids at the Fountain of Nations, while racing each other in Sea Raycers, or while having a beverage at AKL as you admire the architecture or sit in a rocking chair on the 4th floor overlooking the savannah. Of course you hit all the big attractions, but there is so much more to WDW.

One of my best memories from our last trip was when my wife and I (spontaneously) decided to take a Sea Raycer from POR to Downtown. We just relaxed, waved to lots of people and had time to just talk quietly. It was late on a Saturday afternoon and was a very peaceful hour to spend before heading out to the crowds that night.

It is vacation. There's nothing wrong with relaxation. I have many friends and coworkers who always vacation in the Caribbean, and all they do is lay (lie?) on the beach for a week. I wouldn't want that kind of downtime, but visitors to WDW typically do the opposite...go full speed 24/7. We used to do this too, but we have more fun now mixing that with lots of 'mellower' activities. :)

gottalluvmickey

Relaxing by the pool, with a beer in my hand, after a LONG day at the parks. It always amazes me to see how much energy my DD8 still has after hours of fun at the park.

another thing i didnt see mentioned is the illuminations cruise. before illuminations you get on a private pontoon boat at the yacht and beach club. the guide takes you "up river" to right outside DHS where you can see tower of terror and depending on the night, can even hear fantasmic going on. then you cruise back down past the swan and dolphin and the disney boardwalk until finally entering epcot. there you park under the bridge that is between france and england until illuminations start. it is the most fantastic view of illuminations you could ever get and you dont have to wait for hours to secure it! you feel like you are almost a part of it! in addition, the cruise comes with snacks like soda and chips and stuff and you can even pay extra to get other things. the guide is really nice and friendly as well. we did this on our last trip and i was completely blown away by it. i was never even that big of a fan of illuminations, but this was awesome!!

in addition, my family also usually rent the boats at the polynesian and cruise around the seven seas lagoon, which gives you an awesome view of magic kingdom. we discovered the kitchen sink on the last trip, and we will be sure to get it again this summer. also, now that im of age, i love getting a walebone (what do they call those things? a yard?) of beer at the rose and crown and watching off kilter!

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
another thing i didnt see mentioned is the illuminations cruise. in addition, my family also usually rent the boats at the polynesian and cruise around the seven seas lagoon, which gives you an awesome view of magic kingdom. we discovered the kitchen sink on the last trip, and we will be sure to get it again this summer. also, now that im of age, i love getting a walebone (what do they call those things? a yard?) of beer at the rose and crown and watching off kilter!

How do you go about booking these tours? Are they really expensive? Do you rent the boat and crew for a group or can individuals pay to get on?

We had our first 'kitchen sink' during the last trip. We made sure we didn't eat for several hours beforehand, so it was easy for the 4 of us to finish it.

Off Kilter really rock....one of my fav live shows at WDW.

It's called a 'yard of ale'. Enjoy! :)

How do you go about booking these tours? Are they really expensive? Do you rent the boat and crew for a group or can individuals pay to get on?

to be honest, im not sure. i think the same number you call to make reservations for everything else? my dad took care of all of that. i dont think its tremendously expensive, but its not like its pocket change either. our group was 7 people and it was just us on the boat. i think there were like 4 boats that night though. i dont know if you can do it on an individual basis. i do know that you have to book early because it fills up. i think there is a similar cruise for wishes as well.

Einselen

We had our first 'kitchen sink' during the last trip. We made sure we didn't eat for several hours beforehand, so it was easy for the 4 of us to finish it.

Here is some info on the cruises:

http://www.allearsnet.com/btp/illum.htm

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

Booking for Illuminations Cruise: 407-WDW-PLAY

for more detail see the following:
http://allearsnet.com/btp/illum.htm

Joy Peace

ok I have some questions. First off what is the 'kitchen sink' and where do you get it? Secondly has anyone done the carriage ride at POFQ? I heard its really nice and romantic.
To Dreamscometrue, I was wondering if I could have a copy of your list when you finish putting it together. I am very interested in the slower pace and discovering new things that you normally wouldnt pay attention to. Un like my husband who is one of those go go go people. I am hoping to have a little of both. It is his first time and he wants to make sure we get it all in so he gets his moneys worth but for me it is in the exerience and taking in all the magic or as much of it as you can. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to see it both ways? I am so looking forward to out time together. We are celebrating our 15th Anniversary and I dont want to come home needing a vacation after my vacation if you know what I mean.:lol:

ok I have some questions. First off what is the 'kitchen sink' and where do you get it?

the kitchen sink is a HUGE sundae that you can get at beaches and cream at the beach club. it is called the kitchen sink because it literally has everything in it and even comes served in a sink! the load in practically all the types of ice cream and toppings they have. the seven of us split it and we didnt even finish it, although in fairness we had just eaten dinner. its awesome.

DizneyPryncess

I'm looking forward to visiting the Barber Shop in the Magic Kingdom. On main street you can go in and get "pixie dusted", or get a haircut. I've seen some pretty cool pictures of people that've done this.

I like doing hidden mickey hunts throughout the resorts or parks. If you buy the book, you can check them off, and then add your own too. There's a great hidden Tinkerbell when you exit Big Thunder Mountain, it's my favorite "hidden" thing.

I also love finding paintbrushes on Tom Sawyers Island!

daringstoic

ok I have some questions. First off what is the 'kitchen sink' and where do you get it?

The Kitchen Sink (10:01 PM)
It has 5 different types of ice cream (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, coffee, and mint chocolate chip), all of the toppings they have, and an entire can of whipped cream. It also has Oreos, Angel Cake pieces, brownies, and chocolate syrup, among other things. When they bring it out, they flash the lights and make a big announcement. (the first time I was there, I thought the power was going out, haha) It was 21.99 the last time I got one in spring of 2006 (I have a picture of the menu...I don't actually know all this off-hand...)

613-07DSCN0331.jpg

(10:17 PM) After 4 hungry girls attacked it. Yes, we ate the entire thing in 16 minutes.

613-11DSCN0332.jpg

It was pretty much the best thing ever. Although some friend of mine got one another time and dug up a peach gummy in theirs, which seemed kind of random and gross...

eroyee

ok I have some questions. First off what is the 'kitchen sink' and where do you get it? Secondly has anyone done the carriage ride at POFQ? I heard its really nice and romantic.
To Dreamscometrue, I was wondering if I could have a copy of your list when you finish putting it together. I am very interested in the slower pace and discovering new things that you normally wouldnt pay attention to. Un like my husband who is one of those go go go people. I am hoping to have a little of both. It is his first time and he wants to make sure we get it all in so he gets his moneys worth but for me it is in the exerience and taking in all the magic or as much of it as you can. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to see it both ways? I am so looking forward to out time together. We are celebrating our 15th Anniversary and I dont want to come home needing a vacation after my vacation if you know what I mean.:lol:
We have done the carrige ride at POR twice and we love it. Yes, its very romantic. I think theres one at FW too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom