Lesser Known Magical Experiences

Captain Hank

Does the AK times guide indicate when the performances are for these artists, or is it somewhat random?

Does anyone know if the Village Beatniks are still performing? They are a percussion group that I saw in early January and very much enjoyed.
Here's the best resource for any type of Entertainment scheduling question. It is best to confirm with Guest Relations once you're in the park, though.

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/

hillernj

Oh, I highly recommend it. It was the only resort we stayed at all through the 80's, so there's more than a little nostalgia for my family, but it's a beautiful, mostly peaceful place.

we stayed @ FW for years it was the only place we staied from '89 to recently. i always enjoyed durring spring break going down to the beach late @ night after the water pagent and the magic kingdom was closing just stiing on the beach with a drink or two and watch people come back from a long day @ the parks

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
I've read so many positives about FW on this thread, I'm planning on going to check it out during our next visit. It sounds like a great spot.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The cabins at FW are a great place to stay and the atmosphere is the friendliest of any of the resorts we have stayed at. The pools are popular at night post park closing.

Sherrybaby

We did the "kitchen sink" too and I think now it's a little overrated. So many people know about it I'm sure thanks to the Internet that sometimes they don't even dim the lights and make a big fuss anymore when people order it--especially when more than one group orders it at the same time. We stay at the Beach Club a lot and I've noticed this change over the years. I think everyone should try it once and from the looks of things when ever we go to Beaches and Cream--everyone IS doing just that!

Anyway, our favorite thing is to walk to Epcot from the Beach Club. You enter through the International Gateway and there are no lines and we love ending up at our favorite place in about five minutes. They usually have no problems giving me a room close to the walkway to Epcot and for us this is so special. Epcot is our place to be. My son loves the "magic sticks" in China. He is so good at them that when he goes there and plays out in the front of the outside tent that people throw money at him. It's sooooo funny. I sit there for hours watching him and he teaches other kids how to do it, or at least he tries to because it's not easy.

There are lots of other things....but that's my favorite.

Sherry.

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
walking through the all stars and pop! you take so many funny pics if u actually pose by the satues

I do quite a bit of photography, and some of my favourite photos from WDW are night photos at the All-Stars and POP. There are colours at POP that are brilliant on some of the prints I have.

BTW, for the person who asked me on another thread a few weeks ago, in Canada we spell a lot of words with 'our' that are spelled with 'or' in the U.S. (ie: colour, favour, neighbour, etc.) In school, we were always told something like "Remember children, we write 'our' in these words. It's 'our' way of spelling them." (In rereading that last sentence, I realize that the quote 'sounds' like Chef from South Park, but I digress.)

teebin

Hey dreamscometrue!

I think a lot of folks enjoy Deluxe resort surfing via the monorail. This is especially fun and convenient if you are staying at one of the three on the line (Grand Floridian, Contemporary and Polynesian). Let's also add Wilderness Lodge to this (hop off the Monorail at the Contemporary and take the boat from the dock out back to Wilderness Lodge.) Each resort offers it's own ambiance - shops, decor, resort area music, restaurants and lounges. Grab a Lapu Lapu at Tambu Lounge (Polynesian) - ride the monorail to Grand Floridian and get spoiled at the Spa (fiancee loves this!) - hop the monorail to Contemporary for another beverage and a walk around the marina - take a boat (the smaller, open one - not the big enclosed one!) to Wilderness Lodge for dinner at Artist Point. Oh, and stop at all resort gift shops enroute. Then backtrack to where you began. The monorail is an amazing, elegant transport that combines 3 fabulous resorts and 1 world-class park into an easily covered stretch of diverse food and fun offerings. Throw in the boat to Wilderness Lodge and you'll appreciate that Disney transportation is an attraction in itself!

Can one do this even if you are not staying at one of the resorts? That is, take the boat from the contemporary to WL etc?

trendicoff

When I was growing up I think it was a man that did this. But I remember sitting in Japan for hours (I don't think he had set show times back then) just waiting for him to come out and do his show. It always fascinated me.

While she can't speak too much English, I had a conversation with her that last time we were there. Apparently this partiular art form is a unique tradition to her family and she learned it from her grandfather (could be who you saw). I asked if there was any way that I could learn it and she said sorry she has only one student -- her daughter :)

As for my special things to do, gosh, so many have been taken, but its great to see people enjoy the parks and all of property as much as I do. I'll add:

- Turning around during wishes and seeing 10,000 faces all looking up at the sky with mouthes wide open
- riding the MK railroad and stopping to "inspect" all the hidden things there (Genie's lamp at Main street, wooden leg named smith at Frontierland)
- The Solarium at either Yacht Club or Beach club, I canlt remember :) but its the most relaxing place I've found on property
- The street plays in UK at Epcot, hilarious
- Art of Disney (my favorite store, even if I can't afford anything :) magic of animation one is best)

that's it for now, guess I'll have to think of more before I head back in July :sohappy:

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the ideas. My entire family and my brother's family leave for WDW in a couple of days, but I have to stay to work. :mad: This is the first trip without me, but I'm glad DW and DD will have bonding time. I've taken several of the suggestions here and typed them so that they may try some new experiences. :) Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. Keep 'em coming if you have more.

NiarrNDisney

One of the things I love to do in Epcot to unwind and step away from the crowds is located in the Japan pavilion. In the far back of the Mitsukoshi store where they sell dishes, next to the register they have a Saki tasteing station, I like to try a couple then wander over to the Tin Toy Stories gallery. I find myself in the Gallery for at least a good 20 min. I just love that place. Then I go to the Yakitori House for some sushi rolls and walk along the paths where they display the Bonzai trees. Wonderful peaceful getaway right in the middle of Epcot.

disney4life2008

One of the last things that my husband and I stumbled upon was the roof of the Contmporary Resort. We were just touring the building, when we decided to go up the elevator, we just started walking around and founf ourselves out on the roof, just in time for the fireworks! I even payed to use the binoculars and was able to spot the nighttime parade at the MK! You can see sooo much from up there! You can actually see what we thought were other theme parks and I think we saw some of there night time shows from a distance. It was almost hard to tell. :sohappy:

wow.. this is on my january list

disney4life2008

hey dreamscometrue!

I think a lot of folks enjoy deluxe resort surfing via the monorail. This is especially fun and convenient if you are staying at one of the three on the line (grand floridian, contemporary and polynesian). Let's also add wilderness lodge to this (hop off the monorail at the contemporary and take the boat from the dock out back to wilderness lodge.) each resort offers it's own ambiance - shops, decor, resort area music, restaurants and lounges. Grab a lapu lapu at tambu lounge (polynesian) - ride the monorail to grand floridian and get spoiled at the spa (fiancee loves this!) - hop the monorail to contemporary for another beverage and a walk around the marina - take a boat (the smaller, open one - not the big enclosed one!) to wilderness lodge for dinner at artist point. Oh, and stop at all resort gift shops enroute. Then backtrack to where you began. The monorail is an amazing, elegant transport that combines 3 fabulous resorts and 1 world-class park into an easily covered stretch of diverse food and fun offerings. Throw in the boat to wilderness lodge and you'll appreciate that disney transportation is an attraction in itself!

wow thanks for the suggestions

disney4life2008

At the Animal Kingdom Lodge, there's the African storyteller in the evening. There's a firepit out back and you gather around and the storyteller tells a traditional african story.

At POFQ, I love to get a bowl of beignets and go exploring the courtyards. It's like walking through a public garden.

At POR, we tried a surrey (spelling?) last time. That was kinda fun too. Or we like to rent a bike and bike around the resort and stop and dip in all the pools. Unfortunately, you can no longer take the bike all the way down the Sassagoula river, but we used to do that and that was awesome.

The boat to downtown disney from POR, or POFQ is always nice too.

where do they sell beignets?

disney4life2008

A few other unique, overlooked experiences:

--Morocco offers a free guided tour of the pavilion, which highlights the architecture and significance of the structures represented. You can sign up in the building across the courtyard from the Tangerine Cafe.

--If you want to learn more about the growing techniques in the Living with the Land greenhouses, you can take the one-hour, guided Behind the Seeds tour for a small fee.

--Innoventions West has an area where you can try a Segway free of charge.

--The Harambe School, a small open-air theater near the entrance to Kilimanjaro Safaris, hosts various short programs hosted by the cultural ambassadors from Africa.

--Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge offers nocturnal viewing of its animals most nights. There will usually be an Animal Programs Cast Member available oustside in the savannah area with night vision goggles.

--WDW boasts two extraordinarily good a capallea groups; The Voices of Liberty in Epcot's American Adventure pavilion and 4 for a Dollar, which performs as the pre-show to Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage.

added to my list!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom