Lesser Known Magical Experiences

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Hey dreamscometrue!

I think a lot of folks enjoy Deluxe resort surfing via the monorail. This is especially fun and convenient if you are staying at one of the three on the line (Grand Floridian, Contemporary and Polynesian). Let's also add Wilderness Lodge to this (hop off the Monorail at the Contemporary and take the boat from the dock out back to Wilderness Lodge.) Each resort offers it's own ambiance - shops, decor, resort area music, restaurants and lounges. Grab a Lapu Lapu at Tambu Lounge (Polynesian) - ride the monorail to Grand Floridian and get spoiled at the Spa (fiancee loves this!) - hop the monorail to Contemporary for another beverage and a walk around the marina - take a boat (the smaller, open one - not the big enclosed one!) to Wilderness Lodge for dinner at Artist Point. Oh, and stop at all resort gift shops enroute. Then backtrack to where you began. The monorail is an amazing, elegant transport that combines 3 fabulous resorts and 1 world-class park into an easily covered stretch of diverse food and fun offerings. Throw in the boat to Wilderness Lodge and you'll appreciate that Disney transportation is an attraction in itself!

We did the 'monorail resort tour' for the first time this past January. We had nothing planned one afternoon, and after leaving MK at 1pm, visited all 3 resorts on the line. It was really fun. We especially enjoyed the Basin Bath location at GF, the Kona coffee at the Poly and checking out the new gift shop on the 4th floor of the Contemporary. It was a great, relaxing way to spend an afternoon before catching the monorail to Epcot.

hmansion

There you go - very nice! I can think of no other vacation destination that has something to quite compare to the monorail resort loop. And unlike taxis and buses at other resort towns, the monorail is pretty much mistake-proof.

yankspy

A nice break from the crowded, chaotic neon of E-ticket attractions is a relaxing horseback ride at the Tri-Circle-D Ranch at Fort Wilderness. If you're one of us who first went to WDW when it opened, it will definitely take you back to a time when magical times were generated just as amazingly with slower-paced yet well-thought-out options. And someone else already mentioned the walk from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness - the jogging trails that twist through the woods there are fun to run along and you are almost guaranteed seeing a mule deer or two or three (real ones, not animatronics!)
This reminds me of how much I used to enjoy the Lake Buena Vista Village. It used to be such a nice place to spend a quiet evening.:)

hmansion

Absolutely, yankspy! I have fond memories of staying at the Tree House Villas with a rented golf cart - driving over to the Village was really cool, especially since I wasn't old enough to drive a car at the time.

diddy_mouse

One of my favorite things to do is get a hot fudge brownie sundae from Ghirardelli's at DTD, sit outside near the water, and listen to the background music. It's the best at night! Afterwards, DH and I walk down toward the West Side.

At Epcot I enjoy (once again at night) hanging out in front of the Fountain of Nations. When we were there in Dec. I filmed the entire dancing loop that it does. It was so pretty!

yankspy

Absolutely, yankspy! I have fond memories of staying at the Tree House Villas with a rented golf cart - driving over to the Village was really cool, especially since I wasn't old enough to drive a car at the time.
Check out my photo album. There are a few pictures of the old Village.:wave:

yankspy

One of my favorite things to do is get a hot fudge brownie sundae from Ghirardelli's at DTD, sit outside near the water, and listen to the background music. It's the best at night! Afterwards, DH and I walk down toward the West Side.

At Epcot I enjoy (once again at night) hanging out in front of the Fountain of Nations. When we were there in Dec. I filmed the entire dancing loop that it does. It was so pretty!

I recently did a solo trip and I spent an hour, at night as well, sitting outside at a table at the electric umbrella just watching the fountain. This is another favorite for my wife and I.:)

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
There have been some great suggestions thus far, but I would also like your thoughts on experiences for first timers.

Do you think that people visiting WDW for the first time should just do all the 'biggies' or try to do some of the things we are discussing in this thread. I suggested to a friend about walking from WL to FW, getting a 'Kitchen Sink' sundae, or stopping with a beverage to see 'Off Kilter'. He suggested that for the first trip, they want to "go, go, go...flat out" to ride all they can, etc. Slowing down seems to suggest a bit of a waste to him, and to many other first timers. I have discovered so much magic in the details, the theming, the back stories, the music, walking paths, etc. Is it possible that these more subtle things are best reserved for repeat visitors who can truly appreciate that WDW is not an amusement park and offers so much more than a few e-tickets at each park?

jillmo1474

I wanted to mention that When my husband and I found the roof of the Contemporary, we were not only on the top floor, but we wre also walking through their restaraunt to get to the roof. I felt like I was kind of intruding, but They acted like they did'nt mind.Another small thing I found last time I was at MK were these small shops to the left of the castle as you are walking towards it. Had no idea they were there. Just kind of stumbled on them. Tere was actually a christmas shop there.

mrscricket

when we wentlast year. we stayed in a villa so1 of the last nights, we drove down to fort wilderness. we just relaxed on the sand fot a couple of hours while the sun was setting. It was a perfect ending to our holiday. With the hammocks there, we were all very happy.

There wasnobody else there so itwas very good.

We then had dinner at the resturant in fort wilderness.

Nansafan

There have been some great suggestions thus far, but I would also like your thoughts on experiences for first timers.

Do you think that people visiting WDW for the first time should just do all the 'biggies' or try to do some of the things we are discussing in this thread. I suggested to a friend about walking from WL to FW, getting a 'Kitchen Sink' sundae, or stopping with a beverage to see 'Off Kilter'. He suggested that for the first trip, they want to "go, go, go...flat out" to ride all they can, etc. Slowing down seems to suggest a bit of a waste to him, and to many other first timers. I have discovered so much magic in the details, the theming, the back stories, the music, walking paths, etc. Is it possible that these more subtle things are best reserved for repeat visitors who can truly appreciate that WDW is not an amusement park and offers so much more than a few e-tickets at each park?

I believe that FP has caused this "go, go, go" mentality. If an attraction has FP, first-timers think that it is a "must-do". When we visited WDW pre-FP, if a queue was extremely long (over 45 minutes) we'd try something else. Sometimes that meant a less popular attraction or wander over to a different shop or maybe just rest and people watch for a bit. This is where we learned about many of the things mentioned in some of the other posts.

When my friend and her family visited WDW for the first time they went to Chef Mickey's for a character breakfast, great choice. When they came with us the next year we decided to stay at the Contemporary. She said, "oh that's where the character breakfast is." (Like this was the only place for a character meal.) I said, "no, that's where one of the character breakfasts are." We then made a PS for Hollywood and Vine for Minnie's Starlet Breakfast (my personal favorite character breakfast RIP). After going to that one, my friend realized that sometimes the most popular didn't always mean the best.

livvy

We love to sit and watch the band in Canada. I can't believe that I can't remember their name at the moment since I have 2 of their CD's and it's one of the first things we check for on the entertainment schedule. We discovered them during our Honeymoon in 2000 and it's a great break in the day. I remembered the name it's Off Kilter.

redfive13

I have heard something about waking up Tinkerbell. Does anyone know what you have to do to be able to do this, or what it entails? TIA.

If you are among the first to enter Tinkerbell’s Treasures shop, on your left as you pass through Cinderella Castle, ask the Cast Member if you can wake-up Tinkerbell. Boys are given a sword and the girls a wand and they are instructed to tap on a small chest three times and say “wake-up Tinkerbell”. Sure enough Tinkerbell wakes-up and flies around the room in a dazzling display of lights and sounds. I also thought they did it by ringing a bell... but I could be wrong. The helpers are usually given a certificate that proclaims that they helped wake-up Tinkerbell. If you miss this morning ceremony, Tink typically flies around the shop intermittently through out the day.

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
If you are among the first to enter Tinkerbell’s Treasures shop, on your left as you pass through Cinderella Castle, ask the Cast Member if you can wake-up Tinkerbell. Boys are given a sword and the girls a wand and they are instructed to tap on a small chest three times and say “wake-up Tinkerbell”. Sure enough Tinkerbell wakes-up and flies around the room in a dazzling display of lights and sounds. I also thought they did it by ringing a bell... but I could be wrong. The helpers are usually given a certificate that proclaims that they helped wake-up Tinkerbell. If you miss this morning ceremony, Tink typically flies around the shop intermittently through out the day.

That's so cool; I hadn't heard of that before. My brother and his family are going in a week for their first trip, and I know my little neice would love that! (So would my teenage daughter :))

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
We love to sit and watch the band in Canada. I can't believe that I can't remember their name at the moment since I have 2 of their CD's and it's one of the first things we check for on the entertainment schedule. We discovered them during our Honeymoon in 2000 and it's a great break in the day. I remembered the name it's Off Kilter.

I really enjoy all of the wonderful live entertainment at Epcot. So many people aren't even aware of all that goes on. There is so much to see and I make a point to check showtimes and plan to see as much as possible when visiting. I absolutely love 'The Jamminators' (I am a drummer too) and 'Off Kilter'.

Perhaps I'm somewhat biased about 'Off Kilter' since I've been exposed to Celtic music since birth. I was born and raised in Atlantic Canada in a family with Scottish heritage, so the 'Off Kilter' sound is familiar, but I love the added rock dimension. I stopped to watch them one (cold) night in early January of this year, and they slipped in a few bars from the 'Rush' song 'Tom Sawyer'. I loved it and commented to one of the band members after the show how I enjoyed that. He winked and said "You noticed that did you?".

BTW, although they are playing at the Canadian pavillion, I don't think any of them are Canadian. :)

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
I believe that FP has caused this "go, go, go" mentality. If an attraction has FP, first-timers think that it is a "must-do". When we visited WDW pre-FP, if a queue was extremely long (over 45 minutes) we'd try something else. Sometimes that meant a less popular attraction or wander over to a different shop or maybe just rest and people watch for a bit. This is where we learned about many of the things mentioned in some of the other posts.

I love FP because I can do a lot more during a vacation (including, of course, many of magical things discussed in this thread) than I used to be able to, but you make a great point! I know people who have visited WDW, and practically all they did while there are FP attractions. Perhaps some people believe that if it doesn't have an FP queue, it's not worth doing. That's sad! Although the FP attractions are many of the best at WDW, there are literally hundreds of other experiences that are magical as well. That is why I started the thread...to learn about more of those. :)

Shadowdawn

My favorite overlooked thing is Miyuki, the candy maker in Japan. In about a minute, using only scissors, a paint brush and food coloring, she transforms a golf ball-sized lump of molten candy into any number of animals--from hummingbirds to dragons. Best of all, she gives them away for free.

When I was growing up I think it was a man that did this. But I remember sitting in Japan for hours (I don't think he had set show times back then) just waiting for him to come out and do his show. It always fascinated me.

ChrisQ

A nice break from the crowded, chaotic neon of E-ticket attractions is a relaxing horseback ride at the Tri-Circle-D Ranch at Fort Wilderness. If you're one of us who first went to WDW when it opened, it will definitely take you back to a time when magical times were generated just as amazingly with slower-paced yet well-thought-out options. And someone else already mentioned the walk from Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness - the jogging trails that twist through the woods there are fun to run along and you are almost guaranteed seeing a mule deer or two or three (real ones, not animatronics!)
You know, even though we haven't stayed at FW since 1989, I still love to walk around there. Brings back memories...

elabron

Taking a water launch from MK to the Poly at night is so relaxing.

The quiet pools at POR.........in the evening, they are sometimes empty.

There's a small area in Liberty Square, just across the bridge from the hub and buried behind some buildings. It has a small wooden "stage" area, but is covered with tons of shade trees. It's an excellent place to sit down and relax with a snack.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom