Len Testa Crowd Analysis

lentesta

Premium Member
The Tipping Point

Let's say a ride can handle 1,000 people per hour.
  • If 10 pph show up one day, no line
  • if 500 pph show up the next day, no line
  • if 1,000 pph show up the next day, no line
  • if 1,100 pph show up the next day -- just a 10% increase from the day before -- there will be a line
    • in the first hour there will be 100 people in line
    • in the second hour an extra 100 people can't be accommodated, and so, there will be 200 people in line
    • by the 10th hour of the park, there will be 1,000 people in line
  • if 2,000 pph show up the next day, the line grows by 1,000 people per hour, leading to 10,000 people in line at the end of the day
That's what happens when you pass a ride's maximum. Up until the maximum, there will be no line. Once you go past it, it starts building up.

And of course, at some point, people decide the line's too long to wait and so there's a slow down on the build-up of people waiting (unless it's FoP... 5 hours? OK!).

Thanks. Yeah, you're right. After I responded I realized that I hadn't considered the case where there was immediate capacity available (so, your first 3 points). Waits do scale linearly after that though.

njDizFan

The spike in wait times just does not correlate to actual attendance numbers (at least the one's issued by TEA).

There was a really nice post recession spike in 2013 resulting in record attendance in 2015 but the last couple of years WDW numbers have stagnated if not decreased.

2013 18.6 million
2015 20.5 million
2016 20.4 million

That equates to an extra 5000 people in the Magic Kingdom per day averaged over 365, yet it feels like every day is the middle of July. Or 20 million was the tipping point without any increase in capacity. I wasn't there in 2015, was the park manageable in certain months?

lentesta

Premium Member
Back on land. A couple of things, some of which are reposted here for easy reference:

This NY Times article from 2010 quoting Disney is the source of the "10 rides per day on average" number. I don;t know whether FP+ has increased that. It may have added 1 (because not everyone uses all 3 FPs). So maybe 11 now?

We first suspected Disney was cutting ride capacity/staffing back in late summer 2015, when wait times increased much faster than attendance possibly could. Here's a chart from last year showing the increase in wait times since 2010, at all four WDW parks:

Walt-Disney-World-Long-Term-Trend.png

As of late 2017, wait times were up 20% to 60% from 2014/2015. There is zero chance - none at all - that attendance is up that much.

We factor those cuts into our crowd calendar models.

The differences we saw in January 2018 were beyond those cuts. As I've said, we think some of that was a better economy and postponed trips from September's hurricane. Universal's wait times were higher than expected, too, which would point to a general trend across Orlando. But Disney's wait times were much higher.

We didn't arrive at a cause of reduced capacity until the first week of February, when we started counting riders. View the numbers below with some skepticism. Also, we focused on headliners with high capacity, so changes at attractions like Mad Tea Party wouldn't be picked up through rider counts.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Average Riders/Hour After 2/21: 1,443 Before 2/21: 1,103 (-24%)
Big Thunder (WDW) After 2/21: 1,570 Before: 1,232 (-22%)
Buzz Lightyear (WDW) After 2/21: 1,813 Before: 1,351 (-25%)
Space Mountain (WDW) After 2/21: 1,620 Before: 1,443 (-11%)

Those numbers exclude obvious breakdowns, of which this week has been notable. It includes wheelchair stops, which seem to be consistent. The numbers are measured during the same time window across days.

Rides that seem about the same: Haunted Mansion (WDW and DLR), Small World (DLR), Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, Pirates (WDW and DLR), Star Tours (WDW and DLR), Toy Story (WDW at 2/3rds capacity), Soarin' (WDW), and Jungle Cruise (DLR).

Capacities at Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Space Mountain (DLR) haven't been consistent, and we're trying to figure out why. Splash (WDW) wasn't up enough to measure. Kilimanjaro Safaris has unpredictable animal slowdowns, but generally looks consistent.

In the case of 7DMT, BTMRR, and Space (WDW), the reduced capacity was from running fewer ride vehicles on the track, which is fairly easy to see. For 7DMT, where people line up an hour before the park opens, it's hard to come up with a good reason ever to run the ride at less than 100% capacity. To see 3 trains running instead of 5 should raise some questions.

It's possible that those older rides (especially Space) were running at reduced capacity simply because they break down too often when run at 100% capacity for days on end. Space, Tower, and Test Track are among the most breakdown-prone in WDW.

Management might look at 85% capacity all day as better than 0% capacity for an hour - the chaos from rescheduled FP+ reservations alone would probably be enough to make that decision, especially at Epcot and DHS, which have fewer headliners to spread out crowds.

Last point for this post: The reason why I'm talking about reduced capacity is that we (touringplans) try to understand the causes when our models are wrong, and explain them. As a businessperson, I totally understand Disney's motivation for doing it. One of our goals with TP has always been transparency and objectivity with the data, and that's what we're trying to do with these conversations.

lentesta

Premium Member
I don't understand the no-season-anymore-theory. Are parents now not planning around school vacations? Or is the leveling-off from adults (non-school children) attendance rising during traditional off-peak times? I say nope to all that. It's Disney manipulating staffing and capacities to save money, while giving the illusion that everyday is just as busy as the last. It makes a ticket more of a perceived premium, thus the ability to charge more. So, 1,000 people can equal 10,000 in the pockets.

Pay the man.

95% of public schools were in session in January 2018. 95% of public schools were not in session in Summer 2017. January's wait times were higher. What are the odds that tens of thousands of parents suddenly decided that truancy was okay, all at once, independently?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The spike in wait times just does not correlate to actual attendance numbers (at least the one's issued by TEA).

There was a really nice post recession spike in 2013 resulting in record attendance in 2015 but the last couple of years WDW numbers have stagnated if not decreased.

2013 18.6 million
2015 20.5 million
2016 20.4 million

That equates to an extra 5000 people in the Magic Kingdom per day averaged over 365, yet it feels like every day is the middle of July. Or 20 million was the tipping point without any increase in capacity. I wasn't there in 2015, was the park manageable in certain months?

There was ALWAYS a tipping point...previous management was more concerned with never finding it

Rumrunner

I just listened to a podcast from DISUnplugged featuring @lentesta discussing the crowds so far in 2018. I highly recommend listening to it, his information was very interesting.

Apparently his wait time projections were significantly off for the start of 2018. Particularly, wait times in January were worse than almost any month in all of 2017. The thought of wait times in January being close to Christmas level is insane.

After analyzing the data from many angles they came to the conclusion that Disney is running the parks with reduced staffing, and consequently reduced attraction hourly capacity, resulting in longer wait times even though there might be fewer guests than normal.

He goes on to mention a few different motivations Disney may have for doing this, including the obvious reason being that they are simply saving money to the more complex thought that they might be trying to artificially control apparent crowd levels in order to justify price increases and ticket price yielding.

I hadn’t seen this being discussed anywhere on here so I thought I’d mention it. Hopefully Len will chime in, I think it’s a topic worthy of discussion.

I know personally the increased crowd levels over the past decade have really made my trips less enjoyable. We used to enjoy visiting in the off season and with the seemingly constant crowding there is now, I find my trips less enjoyable. Disney is going to reach a breaking point somewhere with this kind of management. I know for me, that point is rapidly approaching.
Reduce staff, close earlier and earlier, and the customers are the ones that pay the price. We are scheduled in early June and if the MK is closing at 10:00-it will be our last trip.

SteamboatJoe

Just to add my $.02 on the idea of 7-8 experiences:

I think that number is reflective of the guests who leave the hotel at 9 or 10 for the Magic Kingdom with the intent to get fastpasses when they get there and then leave right after the fireworks, not what we think of.

If you rope drop a park and/or stay till closing and/or get decent fastpasses, there’s no way you’re not getting into the 10s. Heck, we were at MK for four hours a few days ago and we did 7 ‘experiences’ in that time.

Yep. I came pretty close to 9 before noon a couple years back. Had we not stopped for a snack at Gaston's, I probably would've gotten there easily with the right selections.

lentesta

Premium Member
What's statistically significant for the wdw customers:
1. 3% homeschooled
2. 1.7% homeschooled
3. None of the above

A 3% homeschooling rate is around 1.7MM kids, about the same as all public schools in Georgia and Rhode Island combined.

That 3% is spread out over 50 states, obviously. The vast majority don't visit WDW - maybe 6%, tops, if I had to guess - or around 280 kids per day at all four parks combined, on average.

lentesta

Premium Member
I'm not so sure about it. What explains a 75 minute wait for HM besides the addition of FP+? There weren't fewer CMs, what jobs do some CMs do that would increase wait times if they weren't on them?

I think it's pretty clear that FP+ decreased wait times at headliner attractions and increased wait times at secondary attractions (like HM). That is, it spread people around slightly more evenly.

bhg469

Back on land. A couple of things, some of which are reposted here for easy reference:

This NY Times article from 2010 quoting Disney is the source of the "10 rides per day on average" number. I don;t know whether FP+ has increased that. It may have added 1 (because not everyone uses all 3 FPs). So maybe 11 now?

We first suspected Disney was cutting ride capacity/staffing back in late summer 2015, when wait times increased much faster than attendance possibly could. Here's a chart from last year showing the increase in wait times since 2010, at all four WDW parks:

Walt-Disney-World-Long-Term-Trend.png

As of late 2017, wait times were up 20% to 60% from 2014/2015. There is zero chance - none at all - that attendance is up that much.

We factor those cuts into our crowd calendar models.

The differences we saw in January 2018 were beyond those cuts. As I've said, we think some of that was a better economy and postponed trips from September's hurricane. Universal's wait times were higher than expected, too, which would point to a general trend across Orlando. But Disney's wait times were much higher.

We didn't arrive at a cause of reduced capacity until the first week of February, when we started counting riders. View the numbers below with some skepticism. Also, we focused on headliners with high capacity, so changes at attractions like Mad Tea Party wouldn't be picked up through rider counts.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Average Riders/Hour After 2/21: 1,443 Before 2/21: 1,103 (-24%)
Big Thunder (WDW) After 2/21: 1,570 Before: 1,232 (-22%)
Buzz Lightyear (WDW) After 2/21: 1,813 Before: 1,351 (-25%)
Space Mountain (WDW) After 2/21: 1,620 Before: 1,443 (-11%)

Those numbers exclude obvious breakdowns, of which this week has been notable. It includes wheelchair stops, which seem to be consistent. The numbers are measured during the same time window across days.

Rides that seem about the same: Haunted Mansion (WDW and DLR), Small World (DLR), Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, Pirates (WDW and DLR), Star Tours (WDW and DLR), Toy Story (WDW at 2/3rds capacity), Soarin' (WDW), and Jungle Cruise (DLR).

Capacities at Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Space Mountain (DLR) haven't been consistent, and we're trying to figure out why. Splash (WDW) wasn't up enough to measure. Kilimanjaro Safaris has unpredictable animal slowdowns, but generally looks consistent.

In the case of 7DMT, BTMRR, and Space (WDW), the reduced capacity was from running fewer ride vehicles on the track, which is fairly easy to see. For 7DMT, where people line up an hour before the park opens, it's hard to come up with a good reason ever to run the ride at less than 100% capacity. To see 3 trains running instead of 5 should raise some questions.

It's possible that those older rides (especially Space) were running at reduced capacity simply because they break down too often when run at 100% capacity for days on end. Space, Tower, and Test Track are among the most breakdown-prone in WDW.

Management might look at 85% capacity all day as better than 0% capacity for an hour - the chaos from rescheduled FP+ reservations alone would probably be enough to make that decision, especially at Epcot and DHS, which have fewer headliners to spread out crowds.

Last point for this post: The reason why I'm talking about reduced capacity is that we (touringplans) try to understand the causes when our models are wrong, and explain them. As a businessperson, I totally understand Disney's motivation for doing it. One of our goals with TP has always been transparency and objectivity with the data, and that's what we're trying to do with these conversations.
Thank you for this frustrating data! I was really hoping you were wrong but I believe you are pointing out a pretty infuriating trend.

HauntedMansionFLA

Attendance or wait times? The theory put forth by Len is that Disney is increasing wait times despite attendance not being low. Just wondering if you feel like the common areas of the park are more crowded on busy days or if the wait times are just higher.
The parks are packed especially the Magic Kingdom. People everywhere. Either a marathon going on or several cheerleading national championships. Lots from across the pond.

DisneyMann

The Wed-Sat before the pro bowl was the worst crowds I've ever experienced. That significant changed the historic late January numbers.

When SSE runs @ 45-75 not throughout the day, that's insane for a predicted slow time let alone any other time. TP data is so out of touch IMO.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom