Leave a legacy tiles being moved?

adambrady

The stones are not an eyesore. All this complaining is though. Why do people always have to try to bring others down? They look nice, they are a nice memory for a lot of people so stop crabbing please.

rangerbob

I don't mind the looks of them either. That is part of the reason that I purchased one of the tiles. If they were still selling them I would have purchased 2 additional tiles for the boys that I adopted so we are all on there. Every time we go into the park they want to go and find my picture even though it is atleast once a month that we go to EPCOT.

jt04

I believe the tiles have to be up in the park somewhere until 2020. So whether or not they keep the stones, the tiles need to be placed somewhere that guests can see them.

Exactly. Guests purchased the tile not the location they are currently located in from my understanding. So they could be relocated around the perimeter of the entry plaza, for example, and the hideous stonework removed. Then everyone wins.

Fractal514

The stones are not an eyesore. All this complaining is though. Why do people always have to try to bring others down? They look nice, they are a nice memory for a lot of people so stop crabbing please.

What you have expressed is called an opinion. Everyone has one, you might say they are like, elbows. In any event, it is my opinion that they are stupid. In your opinion they are not. You are allowed to express that opinion, as am I. In my opinion, they ARE an eyesore. I feel that way because they detract from the carefully designed and engineered feel of entering Future World and the awesome view of SSE.

I also feel that the program itself was short sighted and tacky and a money grab by Disney. The program didn't fill out the slabs and I think it would be a good compromise to consolidate down to the fewest slabs needed and then move on from there.

mcjaco

Those of us that remember the open entrance plaza, with wonderful gardens and trees, will wholeheartedly tell you, it is an eyesore. What used to be warm and inviting, is now cold and unpleasant, and devoid of color.

That being said, I understand how those who bought pictures might not want them moved, but for the good of the park, the entrance plaza needs to be revamped.

Perhaps a mix of both the previous entrance, and the "tombstones" can be achieved? Add the planters back in the center area, and consolidate the tombstones towards the sides? That way everyone is happy....until 2020. :drevil:

trr1

why not embed the tiles where they are in the sidewalk and get rid of the stones:shrug: would that make everyone happy:wave:

hack2112

why not embed the tiles where they are in the sidewalk and get rid of the stones:shrug: would that make everyone happy:wave:
Because stepping on people's faces isn't always the best thing to do, and if the tiles were used as a memorial, walking over a grave is a big no-no.

hack2112

but the tiles dont mark a grave or did they bury people under them?
No, but it's still rather distasteful. Would you like people to walk on a picture of you?

And another thing I just thought of: the tiles are very slippery and could cause a major hazard.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
As long as Disney fulfills it's obligation when I purchased two, I could care less. Personally I think they look good. Better than the wand...…

lazyboy97o

Cuz I paid a lot of money to be on TWO of them. One was with a very good friend who I wish I met earlier in my Program as she and I would have had a very good chance at a long relationship. I like 'em where I helped pay for them to be. Bah Humbug. :brick:
As Epcot is always the first park we visit each year, looking for 'our' tile is always the first thing we do. :)
Not at all....have tiles as well dont want them moved either :brick:
How would any of this be affected by the physical location, placement and arrangement of your purchase being altered? I guess there may be one trip or two, depending on your frequency of visits, where you would be unable to do this while they are being moved.

Because that would change the location of them and I don't see The Disney Gods coming up with a system to record the location change for each in their database so when all those faces on the tiles return to see their tile they can look up the new location.
It would probably be easier to make new tiles and track them instead of trying to move and track what does exist.

Memories do not make good design.

trr1

Does anyone have any photos of the entrance to EPCOT prior to LAL? I'm struggling to remember what it looked like :confused:
spaceship-earth-epcot-center-1_full.jpg

Phonedave

What you have expressed is called an opinion. Everyone has one, you might say they are like, elbows. In any event, it is my opinion that they are stupid. In your opinion they are not. You are allowed to express that opinion, as am I. In my opinion, they ARE an eyesore. I feel that way because they detract from the carefully designed and engineered feel of entering Future World and the awesome view of SSE.

I also feel that the program itself was short sighted and tacky and a money grab by Disney. The program didn't fill out the slabs and I think it would be a good compromise to consolidate down to the fewest slabs needed and then move on from there.

Believe it or not, there was a plan behind the LaL stones. There was a whole design aspect to them that was explained to me when I bought one. How it was supposed to draw the eye, what feelings it was supposed to invoke, and how there was a contest to design the plaza and this was the winning design.

Having said all that, I think is poorly executed. I don't know about eyesore, but it does lack in a number of areas. I would have no problem with them returning the entrance plaza to the way it was (or a new design for that matter) and relocating the tiles. They could be moved to the sides and mounted on a new structure. Perhaps even at eye level so I don't have to lie on the ground to see my kids picture.

-dave

TravisMT81

lovely picture, miss it!!! As I said before, there is so much open space on those tombstones that it could easily consolidated and moved to the side.

atsolomon

I always thought that they were an anti-tank measure put into place to stop Cuban tanks from rolling into EPCOT Center in the eventuality of a Chavez-funded invasion of Florida. I know, you're thinking "what about the international gateway". Don't worry, that sidewalk won't support the weight of a tank.

We can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

In all seriousness, I think they mar the formerly clean modernist lines of the park and should be moved.

--Adam

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom