Leave a Legacy On It's Way Out?

adv.bluedude

I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty
in the moonlight
overthrew you
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne,
she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Maybe I've been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

There was a time you'd let me know
What's real and going on below
But now you never show it to me do you?
Remember when I moved in you?
The holy dark was moving too
And every breath we drew was hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Maybe there's a God above
And all I ever learned from love
Was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you
It's not a cry you can hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Indeed Mr. Frog. Indeed...

PalisadesPkteer

Hey lets be thankful that they are doing anything at all for EPCOT right now.

MK is getting the love now and in near future. Believe that DHS is most likely to get the next surge. So AK and EPCOT will languish frozen in what they have.

Lee, Martin or Raven: is this painting of the legs any part of the beautification project I think it was called Gemini a while back? Is it going to go forward?

Rob562

I seem to remember that the statue is in front of a car dealer in Arizona.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I've heard the car dealer part before. Also recall reading somewhere that one of the three broke, and only the remaining two were sold off.

-Rob

sweetpee_1993

Sorry but have to agree with the other person. The only people looking are the one's who bought them and can't ever find them. The quality of the tiles reminds me of when I was a kid and pressed silly putty up against the comics in the newspaper....wait...that was higher quality. No..seriously, it was.

What gets me is that as human beings, the only time we really make large slabs of marble or granite with hundreds/thousands of names or identities on it is to remember loved ones that have passed on through significant historic events. Having been to places like the Vietnam Memorial in DC, I can't fathom any of the suits in marketing thought this was a great idea. A postage size piece of tin on huge slabs of granite? And a life span of a few years? Cheezy!!!!

Since they are taking it down within 10 years, it would appear it was nothing more than a cash cow to milk the millennium wave that everybody excited back in 2000. Hell, I bet Eisner would have charged his own mother to have her picture put up there back then!

I have seen and had conversations with random people who do not have a tile and were looking at the faces on the existing tiles. One instance that stands out was a while back when I was taking a pic of my youngest next to his & his brother's tile I noticed 2 gentlemen not far from us gazing at the pictures & talking to each other as they did this. They were there for a little bit moving slowly along the wall. When we started to walk away they approached me & asked what the tiles were & how to get a tile done. I explained LaL to them as well as the fact that the tiles aren't being sold anymore. They asked if we had been taking a picture of our tile. I showed them the tile. It was cool because they looked at the tile so closely then at my son then back at the tile again. They had the biggest smiles on their faces. It was really cute. They were obviously amused & impressed. Saying that nobody looks at the tiles other than those who had them done is absolutely untrue. :wave:

LaL in itself was an interesting idea, not necessarily a bad one. The execution of the concept and placement might not have been the best. I, too, prefer the open uncluttered look for this area. It made SSE so much more awe-inspiring.

Mansion Butler

I will disagree 100%.

A large part of the charm of Epcot is the fact that it was born in the culture of the 80s. In fact, if born in the 90s, it would look like a run down piece of junk. If born in the 70s, it would have looked like junk when it opened.

It should continue to embrace the unique position it was born into.

That is what makes me sad about the park. The lack of Flamingos. The dumped down Odessy. The 2/3 empty Imagination pavilion.
Shoot, I completely forgot about the flamingos. Every time I walk by that water, I think of what use to be there, animal wise, and can't think of it.

JustInTime

I will disagree 100%.

A large part of the charm of Epcot is the fact that it was born in the culture of the 80s. In fact, if born in the 90s, it would look like a run down piece of junk. If born in the 70s, it would have looked like junk when it opened.

It should continue to embrace the unique position it was born into.

That is what makes me sad about the park. The lack of Flamingos. The dumped down Odessy. The 2/3 empty Imagination pavilion.

We can agree to disagree.

But Animal Kingdom will never look dated. While it may lack in attractions, the feeling and theme is not stuck in a particular decade at all. It has a timeless appeal. That is what needs to be achieved with Epcot. And it can be done while keeping it's charm. But the real question is if it will ever see any real love? The front half of the park has lost it's identity. The park is not supposed to be an "I love the 80's" park. It's supposed to be Epcot. People have gotten too comfortable with it's current state and are stuck in the past. The possibilities could be amazing. TDO needs to give the park a 180 like they are giving DCA. And I expect few if any here to agree.

jakeman

We can agree to disagree.

But Animal Kingdom will never look dated. While it may lack in attractions, the feeling and theme is not stuck in a particular decade at all. It has a timeless appeal. That is what needs to be achieved with Epcot. And it can be done while keeping it's charm. But the real question is if it will ever see any real love? The front half of the park has lost it's identity. The park is not supposed to be an "I love the 80's" park. It's supposed to be Epcot. People have gotten too comfortable with it's current state and are stuck in the past. The possibilities could be amazing. TDO needs to give the park a 180 like they are giving DCA. And I expect few if any here to agree.
I agree.

Epcot should be about the future...not what the future was in the 80's.

Wilt Dasney

But now how will we remember all those who died for Epcot? :rolleyes:

I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there.

larry3.jpg

scbb11Sketch

Agreed. Those prisms are suck in the 80's (along with most of EPCOT, sadly). They are neat but lets not go backward. Lets encourage movement forward. After all, that was really Walt's motto. Give us something Experimental. Give us something Prototype. Give us something City. Give us something Tomorrow.

Give us something Of! ...err...

I liked the look of the fountain prisms. Seeing them in pictures does make them look kind of dirty and not polished the best though. Kinda like they're acrylic instead of glass.
A lot of people are complaining about the park needing more updating and refreshing to keep the initial focus of the park (the future) from becoming outdated. I agree completely, but you have to think about the massive amount of capital that it takes to keep updating these rides. Millions of dollars for demolition, R&D, new ride systems, marketing, etc. Not to mention the man-power and length of time of creating these things. Plus none of us enjoy going to the park for our one week of vacation a year and seeing construction walls instead of an attraction. I absolutely love EPCOT and the idea of a park that showcases the latest technologies and what the future brings, but with how quickly the world evolves now, we may have to just settle on seeing what the past envisioned and how we have achieved those goals.
It's nice to see the legs being repainted though.

hauntdmansion79

Just chiming in here. The paint job on the legs of SE always looked like a middle school art room wall mural. I love that they are finally removing it and going back to classic.

Also, the argument that no one looks at them is not correct. Personally I never really liked the LaL stones. However, even though I don't own one, each time we're there I look at some of the tiles.

I'm an Epcot Center purist. I was one of the WDW Magic members who joined the charge to get rid of the Wand of Spaceship Earth. I miss Horizons, World of Motion, and the original Journey into your Imagination. So with that said, anytime they do something to bring things back to their original splendor, I love!

P.S. Exactly one month from today I'll be flying to Walt Disney World!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The MadHatter

Just chiming in here. The paint job on the legs of SE always looked like a middle school art room wall mural. I love that they are finally removing it and going back to classic.

Also, the argument that no one looks at them is not correct. Personally I never really liked the LaL stones. However, even though I don't own one, each time we're there I look at some of the tiles.

I'm an Epcot Center purist. I was one of the WDW Magic members who joined the charge to get rid of the Wand of Spaceship Earth. I miss Horizons, World of Motion, and the original Journey into your Imagination. So with that said, anytime they do something to bring things back to their original splendor, I love!

P.S. Exactly one month from today I'll be flying to Walt Disney World!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just to make your argument more solid i own a stone and have not once looked at it since it was first put there....its silly...almost as silly as the names on the pavers outside magic kingdom on the path that doesnt actually lead to the resorts

Expo_Seeker40

I think what we have to remember is that the bulk of Future World's infrastructure is still from the 80s, but a chunk of it has been destoryed with garish 90s overlays. I.e. Innoventions pink and purple plaza and test track's tent and signs. then you have the nice modern design of M:S and the "no duh it works" retro repaint of the UoE. Epcot's entrance needs to get rid of the mustard yellow ceilings and purple accents and use some new colors to freshen the place up. Yes there will still be bulky 1980s buildings everywhere, but let's try to compliment them with cooler blue colors instead of loud 1982 orange bathroom walls.

What future world needs is a return to a cooler, calmer look, and with new landscaping. The 1990s mall food court look, especially in the electric umbrella is embarrassing.

I don't know if this means the end of leave a legacy for now, but it would be great to see a new "swoosh" pattern painted at the bottom of the SSE legs in a new color scheme but similar in style to the old blue and orange swoosh that was originally there.

The Mak

I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty
in the moonlight
overthrew you
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne,
she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Maybe I've been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
love is not a victory march

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

There was a time you'd let me know
What's real and going on below
But now you never show it to me do you?
Remember when I moved in you?
The holy dark was moving too
And every breath we drew was hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Maybe there's a God above
And all I ever learned from love
Was how to shoot at someone who outdrew you
It's not a cry you can hear at night
It's not somebody who's seen the light

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Sorry, the Watchmen movie has completely ruined this song for me. :drevil:

Hummer1676

Anyone also notice that they have also painted Odyssey? Is this a sign of new things to come? That restaurant could do so much if it was given a chance. Change the menu every once in a while to different countries that aren't in world showcase. Or, have the restaurant be a totally retro new place that pushes the boundries of cuisine.

MarkTwain

:eek:

HOOOORRRRAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! :sohappy:
63.gif
12.gif
44.gif
21.gif

56.gif

I'm unspeakably happy about this!! The painted legs, IMO were the worst part of LAL. You can mess up the plaza with your stupid money-making schemes, but don't let'em touch Spaceship Earth. :fork:

Glad to see this error is being corrected. I'll pull out even more smileys if the stones go next. :lookaroun

Castle Cake Apologist

While I agree that SSE's legs look much better without the LaL paint scheme, I don't necessarily dislike the LaL stones.

Wasn't the project headed by John Hench, who was Epcot's original art director in the first place? If so, the area was designed by a Disney Legend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom